Thread: carb slime

Bike
    2001 zx9

carb slime

So, its so common these days for fuel to change into jelly/slime when sitting in a carb that spends weeks at a time unused and i understand that from next april the fuel will be even worse at sitting around. the question is then does anyone have a go to fuel stabiliser or a cleaner additive that actually works? recently i was working on a little carb that was running a bit lean on the low speed circuit and it had been sitting for 4 or 5 months . the drillings were around 0.08mm diameter and i feel deep within them there is a layer of slime... i have tried solvents (soaking overnight) and compressed air with fairly dismal results. any hot tips? is it too late to blame Jenny Shipley as she started to shag about with our fuel supply early 90's ... actually i'm going to blame her anyway

Bike
    Exercycle
    The trick back when we saw a heap of used Jap imports was to drop carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner bath.

For just one, I'd present it clean as possible to a jeweller who cleans watches and rings. Most who do this have a bath.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Yes, an ultrasonic bath is really the only way to do clean those small passages, although it has to be big enough to take the carb body.

There's a UK company called Millers who make a good fuel stabiliser, but I've never seen their products in NZ.

It's going to be far worse once we get E10.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Yes i want to get a head start on the shite fuel arriving as i have a few seldom used engines ( but real important when they are used) i'll start trialling the snake oils - this one has good reviews https://generatorplace.co.nz/product/fuel-set-200ml/ but they may have been reviewed by melvin from accounts...
    I'll report back when/if i find one that actually works as opposed to promoted as being effective

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The trick back when we saw a heap of used Jap imports was to drop carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner bath.

For just one, I'd present it clean as possible to a jeweller who cleans watches and rings. Most who do this have a bath.
    locally I think Dennis Charlett has one and Olly from out north canterbury as well. Are they not a workshop essential in 2022?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    With my dirtbikes I try run em dry in the carpark in case I don't get to ride them for a while.

On a friends 400 I had to resort to jet drills to clear the two small passages for choke to work. Took me ages to work out the float bowl restrictions.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information