Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

Hi All

I took this little chappie out for a spin last Friday afternoon. I only managed just over an hour but did get to ride it on a variety of roads and think that I managed to get a good impression of what it is like.

I must add that I owned its forerunner, the GSX-S 1000F for a short while a few years ago and, whilst I loved most aspects of that bike, the snatchy throttle response eventually put me off keeping hold of it.

Firstly I can confirm that this one has a far better relationship between wrist, throttle and what the engine gives you in return. One of the best Ride-by-wire systems means that you get what you ask for and all in a nice smooth manner.

The engine felt remarkably similar to the F model - Not surprising really as they are the same motor only with the GT now tuned to get it through Euro 5 regulations. In other words it has grunt everywhere with increased revs simply increasing how wide open your eyes go as they search for the rapidly approaching vanishing point on the horizon

It is comfy though your legs (I'm 1.83m tall or 6'00" in old money) are quite bent. Nothing too extreme but I wouldn't want them bent any further. The screen is fine though a bit low for sustained touring rides and the electronics are simple enough to understand without having to resort to the handbook.

I suspect that I'll be buying one of these in the not too distant future and I'll be looking to enjoy the potential bike the 1000F got so close to being.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSX-S 1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	811.2 KB 
ID:	351925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSX-S 2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	774.2 KB 
ID:	351926  

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Having just traded up to a 2016 F, I havent noticed any throttle issues...it is old school two cable type control though so time will tell.

I looked at the new GT but money wasn't on my side.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I might buy a used one in a few years when my sportsbike days are over. The reviews to date have been very positive.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    Having just traded up to a 2016 F, I havent noticed any throttle issues...it is old school two cable type control though so time will tell.

I looked at the new GT but money wasn't on my side.
    Most, if not all, of the F models will have been modified by Suzuki to overcome the problem. Blackbird owned one back then and had a new ECU fitted under warranty which all but solved the issue apparently. Enjoy the bike - They are a cracking machine and will provide lots of smiles

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I might buy a used one in a few years when my sportsbike days are over. The reviews to date have been very positive.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Yep - They are very much suited to someone making the move from a dedicated sportbike to something a wee bit more usable.

My overall impression was that it was a typical Suzuki in many ways. That is not the latest in terms of technowizzbangary but what it has is useful and fairly easy to use and as a result it is very well priced too. Longer term you are more likely to actually make use of the features it has which maintains your satisfaction level with the bike for far longer in my experience. As many will tell you I tend to move onto the next machine pretty quickly but am now at the point where I want to start keeping hold of my bikes for longer. This could very well be the bike to help me start that trend

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    So - I've taken the plunge and ordered a Triton Blue machine from Mark at Motorazzi here in Wellington. It should arrive in mid to late Jan.

I'll post some pictures up once I get hold of it. Let the fettling begin!

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    I'm split on the looks of the GT, although I've only seen the black and dark blue in the metal (both at Motorazzi).

It has the old k5 motor which can't have been snatchy for 15+ years, so maybe it was emissions or the ECU settings that messed it up. Hopefully Suzuki have got it right with the current models. But the price is a jump from the previous 1000F and the new naked bikes are more expensive too. I think the prices might push a lot of new customers towards the new 8s. But for people who buy BMW sport tourers, the 1000GT might be a good value for money option?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    I'm split on the looks of the GT, although I've only seen the black and dark blue in the metal (both at Motorazzi).

It has the old k5 motor which can't have been snatchy for 15+ years, so maybe it was emissions or the ECU settings that messed it up. Hopefully Suzuki have got it right with the current models. But the price is a jump from the previous 1000F and the new naked bikes are more expensive too. I think the prices might push a lot of new customers towards the new 8s. But for people who buy BMW sport tourers, the 1000GT might be a good value for money option?
    Yep I'm with you on the looks. It does look better in the flesh and the panniers enhance its looks further too IMHO. The colour-matched wheels on the Triton blue model are what really swung that colour scheme for me.

My previous 1000f was 95% there in terms of being an ideal sporty road/tourer machine but the throttle just didn't quite work for me. Perhaps I'm a picky so-and-so but I really don't enjoy bikes that I can't ride smoothly. The GT is a good example of where Euro 5 regs have actually made a machine feel better to ride - This wasn't my expectation I'll be honest but in a lot of ways the GT is now the bike the F should have been back in 2016.

I've owned a number of BMWs (1100S, 1150RT, 1200RT, 1200GS and K1200S) over the years and an RS was on my list of possible options this time around but to get one with panniers and heated grips involves spending another $10k over the GT - In other words almost 50% more and given how much I enjoyed riding the GT it simply wasn't a good value option. I don't decry the RS at all and I know people love them but that sort of price difference just cannot be ignored.

As some will tell you I change my bikes regularly and often . Very few bikes make me want to keep hold of them long term but with Sports tourers I've sort of come back to the genre after having owned a few in the past (Mainly Triumph Sprints of various flavours). Perhaps it's time to stick to this one long(er) term. We'll see.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I love the K5 engine after having the 1000 for about nine years. (smooth as silk and grunty ! )

I did look at the gsx1000F before going for the 1400.
    If I was to change thats the bike I'd look at again ,or the modern Z900 Kawasaki...

Enjoy XXXXX

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I love the K5 engine after having the 1000 for about nine years. (smooth as silk and grunty ! )

I did look at the gsx1000F before going for the 1400.
    If I was to change thats the bike I'd look at again ,or the modern Z900 Kawasaki...

Enjoy XXXXX
    I've traded my 04-model 1400 for the GT. A shame to let it go but I simply can't justify keeping the 1400 as well. They are lovely bikes

Bike
    2022 GSX-S1000GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I've traded my 04-model 1400 for the GT. A shame to let it go but I simply can't justify keeping the 1400 as well. They are lovely bikes
    I bought a GT in August, and I’m rapt with it. Does everything it says on the tin - goes like the clappers, stops and steers well, comfortable and the panniers hold a reasonable amount of gear. Only done 3.5k so far, combination of being busy and the wettest winter in Northland since ages ago, but summer seems to be arriving at last and a lap of the South Island in late Jan - early Feb is the plan!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Interestingly I had a nearly new BMW RNineT as a courtesy bike yesterday whilst the Multi was being serviced.

I say interesting as I looked up the price for a new one just out of curiosity to see how it'd compare to the GT. Some $25k+ for the BMW which didn't even have a rev counter so already some $2-3k more than the GT before you've even started raiding the BMW accessories catalogue - Which you'd need to do as the bike is as basic as machines come nowadays.

Now I'll add that I've owned BMWs in the past and always enjoyed them. This one too was nice to ride and the Air/Oil cooled 1200 Boxer motor is still a lovely thing to use but at that price??? Seriously?

The Service reception chap asked me what I thought when i took it back - I simply smiled and said that it wasn't for me

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    So - It's arrived and I now have my hands on my new Triton Blue GSX-S1000GT.

Just in time for the weather to turn to custard too

Impressions thus far are that it is smooth, the throttle response is as good as I remember and the motor is as cracking as it always has been.

Bad bits are that the panniers still haven't arrived - Neither have the heated grips. Both of which were ordered a while back.

Still - They'll turn up soon enough and I'm a happy boy right now.

No word on economy and general riding impressions as yet. I'll put some pictures up too once the weather cuts me a break.

Bike
    Yamaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    So - It's arrived and I now have my hands on my new Triton Blue GSX-S1000GT.

Just in time for the weather to turn to custard too

Impressions thus far are that it is smooth, the throttle response is as good as I remember and the motor is as cracking as it always has been.

Bad bits are that the panniers still haven't arrived - Neither have the heated grips. Both of which were ordered a while back.

Still - They'll turn up soon enough and I'm a happy boy right now.

No word on economy and general riding impressions as yet. I'll put some pictures up too once the weather cuts me a break.

Any chance of a photo with you riding in the rain while we have rain?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I managed to make the most of the good weather and put some proper miles on the GT this last weekend. Herewith some of my thoughts thus far:

Economy - I'm getting around 18-18.5 Km/litre on average. With a 19 litre tank that means a useable range of 300+Km. That's sufficient for me.

Suspension - Good overall ride quality with it being firm enough to prevent any wallow but not too uncomfortable on the bumpier stuff. The only change I've made from standard settings thus far is to stiffen up the rear rebound damping from 1 full turn out (From fully screwed in) to half a turn. That appears to have helped a wee bit.

Engine - Oh yes - What a beauty. Such a beauty that I incurred my first speeding fine for over 30 years on Saturday... The lady was very nice about it though The cruise control (Which works very well) came in for plenty of use thereafter...

Weather protection - Pretty good. I have a taller screen waiting to be fitted but thus far it seems to be decent with the windblast hitting me mid-chest. With the angle of the screen the airflow is relatively laminar and in the warmer conditions that was most welcome.

Overall impression - It's as good as I rememeber it and the Triton blue colour scheme really sparkles in the sunny conditions. It makes you smile which bikes should do IMHO. I love it and it makes me think that this is the bike the GSX-S1000f should have been a few years back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230218_084222.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	824.7 KB 
ID:	352442

Thread Information