Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Greetings All

A quick update now that I'm over the 1000Km mark.

Screen - I fitted the taller touring screen (Obtained from AliExpress for a lot less than the Suzuki item). It does make a difference though I'll be trying an additional spoiler on top of that to see if that helps even more.

Panniers - I got these fitted at the first service as they arrived after the bike. They are a good size and look to be suitably sturdy. I've yet to carry anything of any weight in them but thus far they get a qualified thumbs up.

Heated grips - These were fitted earlier this week - It cost me just over $950 with the labour included... Still - They seem to work well and they are the same thickness as the original grips so aren't too bulky. They have three heat settings and are easy enough to use with the button being on the left hand grip itself. They've come in very handy this week here in Wellington...

Overall - The last big four cylinder bike I owned was my 2004-model GSX1400 which I really enjoyed. This feels like it's a few generations on from that bike - Mostly that is positive though I do miss the 1400's low rev shunt which used to muscle you along in such an effortless manner. Personally I'm glad that Suzuki use older tech and keep their prices lower than a lot of the competition - 'If it works then why fiddle with it' is a good mantra to have and this bike is a good example of that. It reminds me a lot of my Triumph Sprint ST/GTs that I've owned in the past though with more tech and a four-cylinder character to it. It's a definite improvement on the GSX-S1000F that went before it and it's still as quick as I'll ever need or want.

Yes I do look at the BMW R1250RS and wonder about the 'What if?' had I spent the extra money on one of those. They are a cracking machine and I'm certain that I'd love owning one but for the nearly $10k difference I'd always be wondering just how much more that extra money bought me over the GT.

Bike
    2022 GSX-S1000GT
    I’v e owned my GT for about 18 months / 14k now and have been well pleased. Almost all open road / ‘fast touring’ riding, including a South Island loop, more recently a trip from northland to Taranaki - Whanganui - Rotorua - BoP then home to Northland. Have been literally from North cape to the Bluff, entirely trouble free. The bike has been serviced by the book, and I had the local suspension guru tweak the suspension which has improved the overall balance of the bike. It has always handled well, but the tune has made it even better! I was happy enough with the OEM tyres , but when they were toast (about 9.5k) replaced with Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE, which were f’n expensive but have lived up to thee hype. Excellent grip in all weathers, very confidence-inspiring! Planning another Sth Island trip late March. I spend most of the time in ‘B’ mode (A = sport, B= road, C= rain) but also slip into A where the mood takes me. It does change the character of the bike quite noticeably, encouraging a much more aggressive use of the throttle and much more reliance on the radar detector! The manual warns against exceeding 140k with the panniers - I can report from a reliable source thats things stay rock solid and steady with numbers starting with a 2 on the speedo. All in all a very fine bike for (relatively) not many dollars!

Thread Information