Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminium Swingarms

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Id make if from 6061, machine the solid sections, use 6061 extrusions. A mandrel bender will bend extrusions with the correct formers, nicely. All will need to be T0, especially if you want to bend it. 6061 will heat treat nicely if it starts off as T0.
    A freind of mine made a 6061 swingarm, he used a steel fixture to hold its form while in the heat treatment kiln.

A quick and dirty way to turn T6 to T0 is 'paint' the part in acetylene black smoke then gently heat until the black burns off, let to cool slowly in air.

Bike
    rgv250 vj22
    Thanks for that, I had thought about a steel jig but I was worried about the jig possibly warping too or the differential expansion of the metals. But if it works I think I’ll go that route when the time comes.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
    Thanks for that, I had thought about a steel jig but I was worried about the jig possibly warping too or the differential expansion of the metals. But if it works I think I’ll go that route when the time comes.
    why not take a drive to wanganui and have a chat with steve roberts, he's got a bit of a reputaion of working with Alloy and one of the bikes he made with an alloy swingarm was seeded as number 1 at the iomtt one year, if that's not proof the man knows what he's doing then i don't know what is. Steve is retired now but I'm sure he will like to chat about it.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah like he needs a recommendation. If you can get to talk to him with Spiders introduction then take it

Just been reading Duke of Wellington article on a British magazine. Jesus.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information