Thread: 9 days down South, in the Mainland

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

9 days down South, in the Mainland

Hello folks, well I'd heard a lot about how good the Souths roads are and I'd have to say, it's true!!!.
    Ratbag (wifey) and I saddled up on Friday the 2nd of December, heading to the Capitol, stopped over for a couple of nights and hooked the Kaitiaki A Bow loading, Stern unloading, original roll on, roll off type)in the am on Monday.
    Well, ridden a bit over the last 40 some years, but those decks and ramps on the ferries are to say the least Treacherous, we both made it into the ship and watched the other obviously ferry savvy riders tie their steads down, followed suit and headed up stairs.
    Crossing was a breeze, blessed with smooth seas and a following wind we crossed in good time, spending most of it in the forward eatery behind those thick as glass winda's.
    Took to the highest point once in the sounds and saw a pod of at least 15-20 Hectors dolphins, seemed they were playing in the ships bow wave, amazing to see, so small and yet so Distinctly Dolphins, pity so many see nets and trawling as good ways of fishing, not caring about those poor little critters.
    Arrived in Picton, took a hard right out of the Stern and rode all of 1 Km to our digs at the High Street Motel.
    Panicked when we turned into the High Street and could not see a motel!
    Na, it's awlirght it was exactly where it was supposed to be and loe and behold there are others in that main street.
    Stayed in unit #5, in the right hand rear corner of the complex, the car park was ideal for multiple bikes, triangular opening out into the courtyard and leaving no room for cagers to pinch part of it, great folks running the show, amazing unit, clean, warm, fresh had every convenience and was quiet.

Our hosts altered our return booking to allow us to camp back at unit 5 on our return.
    Went shopping in the High street, great shops lots of good stuff amongst the usual rubbish, shopkeepers and staff all amazing attentive, a lot of closed and or temporarily closed shops due to COVID and staff shortages.
    Don't go the the thirsty Pig for a meal, thought yep in the south, Whitebait Sarney looks good, got 2 pieces of bread, (no butter) and a egg fritter with maybe 10 whitebait in it, disappointed was an understatement.
    Beers was cold place was well ventilated.
    Got it right on our return leg, the Waiotahi Pub, on the in road for the Ferry, was amazingly friendly, had their own beers, great staff, great outside seating area and their food was brilliant and well priced, go there if you want good grub, friendly people and cold beer.

Off to Christchurch the following day, Kaikoura coast absolutely amazing road, scenery was unparalleled, saw seals on the rocks and a couple clowns, wet suiting up with catch bags in a wild life reserve!
    Stopped at the Kaikoura Cray Fish, we'd promised ourselves a Cray for brunch, not Nins Bins (Warned off stopping there, it's the next one along). There were 4 other groups of travellers having cray sitting outside with a view of the dunes and the foreshore, absolutely stunning.
    Well, came time to order, enquired how big a cray we'd need for the 2 of us, advised a smaller one, no problems, took it out put it on the scales, that'll be $97.00 please.
    Seriously I've seen Bigger PRAWNS, No thank you, turns out 2 bottles (small ones) of water and 2 sugar laden cakes were still expensive.
    Moral of the story, if you really want crays, take a small bank with you!

Spent 2 days in Christchurch, took the foot tour, walked from Redwood into the city centre, sat looking/mourning at the Cathedral (thats going to take a long time)', explored the river, saw Tuna and Trout in the Avon, was genuinely surprised to see the trout, thought it was too polluted in the city, but hey great news, you can hook em right under the Remembrance Bridge.
    Went to the markets and lunched at "The Little Fiddle"Amazing service, stepped over their doorway and were immediately acknowledged and told to sit anywhere and they'd be with us soon. They were, we ordered a platter for 2 $50.00, feed us both easily was fresh and tasty, it's down one of the many alleys, but it's worth looking out for it.

Well came time to saddle up and head out, 4 riders, all on good sized and capable bikes, off to Hokitika over Arthur's Pass, so much to see and even at reduced revs and idling along there was still Too much to see, water spouts diverting water over the top of the road, tunnels designed and called rock shelters, cold blue/white river running over huge boulders to the left and right depending on the ascent or descent.
    Saw them pesky Kea at the Arthur's Pass store, went through the rigmarole of handing over my drivers licence before being allowed to fill up, no worries I'll get it back when I pay for it.
    Well, 27 K's out I realised I didn't have my drivers licence with me Because! I'd buggered off without paying, not intentionally, wifey and i had gassed up and returned the bikes to the up hill metalled car park out back, got caught up in the we're off now and left.
    I turned around the others carried on till Jackson, they waited there for 20 minutes, I got back apologised profusely, paid for our gas got my drivers licence back. Was told with a wry smile that Not many people ever bothered to come back, I said, I was sorry, that, I valued my drivers licence but more importantly I valued my credit rating and good name, they sent me off with a nice wee baked cake and a Thank you for coming back, what great people! I arrived in Hokitika in time to head around the corner form the motel to the pub with the gang, just 15 minutes after they'd arrived.
    Enjoyed the Pass both ways and times.

Didn't get to see a lot of Hokitika, the pub was great, inside outside, friendly local and a wonderful bar lady who kept us feed and watered all night.
    Raining in the morning, proper West Coast Raining! Saddled up, geared up headed for Haast, over the Pass, had to stop for slips and a downed Beech tree (they simply cut it in half and diverted traffic around it both ways while they chopped up the rest at their leisure, In The Pouring Rain, great guys.
    South Island Cattle Stops, Tank traps more like, not one of them 90 degrees to the road surface, some of the only going half way across the road ???. All of the 3 steep plates, the outside ones flat and slippery as all hell the inner, usually hatched steel, again taken slow and with as much straightness and you could get they weren't terrifying, but boy did you have to watch out for them.

Haast was amazing, got there in the pouring rain, got our Upstairs Unit, out the back, took a while to get off the bikes, get all of the gear upstairs and finally deglove our wet weather gear. I had a bit of a wet inner helmet, from putting the visor up to be able to see ahead, I don't like Horizontal rain, but i don't like crashing either, so it was visor up eyes blood shot and stung till almost closed, but! we got there we stacked all of the chairs and tables around the gas heater and hung out all of the gear to dry and promptly jumped into the Hard Antlers courtesy van and headed of there.
    What a place, 4 main Rafters, all adorned with at least 10 antler racks on each side.
    We were in Deer Country boy!, beer was great, asked for a venison steak, Nope! just venison patties in their world famous Venison burgers. To be fair the burgers and salads were great, but no Venison Steak, nearly cried.

Next day off to Omarama, weather was overcast but by the time we got into the Haast Pass, it was full sun and warm, roads had changed colour to almost white, great grip and good feel, but chunky, there was no tar bleed either.
    Amazing scenery again lakes Wanaka and Hawea are absolutely stunning, never see that much water looking that beautiful, blue/green, roads were excellent, Wanaka, well, 1 place we could eat at and of course it was packed, Brunch for us was bloody good and the service was excellent.
    I know how to get the Wanaka now and while I didn't get into the air museum, I will be Back!, same for Omaka!
    Into Omarama, into our motel a quick walk up to the shops and across the road to the first pub in sight, feed us watered us and kept us entertained all evening, can't get over how long the days are down there, noticed it particularly here in Omarama, it was 10 pm before it even looked like getting dark. Did a bit of shopping for our hosts jandals at the 2 dollar shop there, they only cost $50.00, For Jandals?? Still the shop owner was also a rider and he did discount them a bit for my mate!
    Breeky at the bakery in the morning, again great simple fare and friendly people.

Heading back to Christchurch and the end of our first South Island Sojourn.
    Up through the Lindis Pass and through the Rakaia Gorge, stopped at the first Salmon farm, man there were 12 different flavours of Smoked Salmon in the shop, all Salmon guaranteed killed yesterday processed overnight and on the shelf today, amazing place.
    Watched a young kiddie from overseas toss a handful of fish pallets into a pool, talk about Piranha! Not one of those pallets got more than 60 mm under water, how those salmon didn't bite each other up badly, Ill never know.'
    Then we came upon a pool with an old obviously dilapidated fishing rod hanging over it and a sign.
    You catch it, we'll process and cook if for you Now.

Well it's been said before here on KB, whatever you do don't tell anyone how good or roads, people and places are, They'll All Wanna Come!
    Can't say as I blame you-all'. Beautiful isn't enough, stunning is getting there.
    We will be returning and taking our time, we're now seasoned Ferry riders, cattle stop runners and Pass markers.
    Cheers you Southerners, we reckon there's nothing like the South island'.

Another 2 days in Christchurch, off to the Wigram Museum, I could have spent a week there and it's FREE!, amazing aircraft and many new old ones to come, please don't let it die.
    Last night in Picton then across the Straight, back to Welly.

Norf Island just doesn't have the aura, that timelessness and the people, loved it.
    Go, if you haven't already!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    On the way down to the SI, I managed to track the Manawatu Tag and Liberate it.
    On the way back up North I shifted it!
    This Tag hadn't been found and moved in over 12 months, hope there's still some KBérs with bikes down thataways!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Yeah, it's a great place to ride. I was down there for 2 weeks last autumn; the only rain was in South Westland and it was the heaviest rain I'd ever experienced on a motorbike!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Great report! Will head down that way again in autumn.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The South Island does have some good roads for sure. The thing to remember is ... every day is different ... even over the same roads.

Some days wind and rain ... some days sunshine and calm.

They call them Rain Forests on the west coast ... Pissing down forests actually.

My two favorite spots on the west side is Mount Hurcules (south of Ross) ... and the 20 km's between Fox and Franz.

Top tip in the future ... do the Buller gorge. ALL the way down. Then down the coast to Greymouth. After that .... you decide.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Great report! Will head down that way again in autumn.
    We'll be closed ... sorry ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    What a great read. Glad to hear you had an incredible time

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Yeah that was a great read. Now take it off the 'net before any other norflanders read about it down here.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    in the early 70s we did a family holiday in Nelson, stopped a kaikoura at a cafe called "The CrayPot" cafe, i remember having massive bits of crayfish, went back a couple of years ago.............The CrayPot doesnt sell crayfish, Nins Bin wanted $100 for a tiny Cray, The other place down the road was nearly as expensive

if you want Crayfish go to The Fishwife in Moeraki.........cheap as well

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Great read buddy
    Sounds like a fantastic trip.

PM me your new address etc Might drop in when we are racing down your way
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Thread Information