Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Luxon ?

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Yes there is an apparent shortage of money (according to the Minister of Finance, whose qualification for the job seems to be a first-class honours degree in English literature from Victoria University of Wellington in 2003, and a post-graduate diploma in journalism from the University of Canterbury in 2017).
    Oh you mean like the previous Finance Minister who had a degree in Political Science. So much better. She could use his trick and just print another $60 billion.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J606F using Tapatalk

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    Oh you mean like the previous Finance Minister who had a degree in Political Science. So much better. She could use his trick and just print another $60 billion.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J606F using Tapatalk
    "Print"? The money was borrowed and will be paid back. Just as every NZ Govt has done.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Yes there is an apparent shortage of money (according to the Minister of Finance, whose qualification for the job seems to be a first-class honours degree in English literature from Victoria University of Wellington in 2003, and a post-graduate diploma in journalism from the University of Canterbury in 2017) but that hasn't stopped the m from giving a $2.9 billion tax cut for landlords
    "The cost of reinstating full interest deductions for residential property will be $2.9 billion over the four-year forecast period, according to data from the Government." https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...in%202025%2F26.
    We all know university degrees are interchangeable in employment world. All they show is an ability to research a particular subject and print coherent written explanation of various cause and effect cycles.

The interest money is only 750 million a year or several weeks of nz welfare payments to those on dole.

What it will do is encourage investors back into rental market. Currently there’s lots of ghost houses because of labours meddling making being a kandlord unattractive for a variety of reasons. Hence why we have the emergency housing crisis because labour essentially did all it could to discourage investors from being landlords.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    "Print"? The money was borrowed and will be paid back. Just as every NZ Govt has done.
    Govt debt is never fully repaid.

The reserve bank prints our money. We attempt to repay them with interest on top using money taken from the taxpayers whose lives the govt is trying to improve with expensive interventionist policies.
    EVERY time a govt does this it increases the amount of money circulating which devalues our money we call this inflation.
    Extra money is effectively printed out of thin air and paid for by taxpayers.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Yes, the money that is borrowed is actually printed as NZ$. If you cannot back up what you say have with real cash, you are bankrupt. Governments are not exempt from this. It's also why we should be very concerned by moves to go to government controlled digital money instead of real cash.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    True. Successive governments can claim the credit for that. Compared to other countries we're doing well. When COVID hit NZ debt to GDP was 28% of GDP it went up into the low 40s but was back to the mid thirties by 2022 the latest figure I've seen. Britain's debt to GDP is over 100% and the US over 120%.

Don't tell me they are big countries, those are percentages. If there was a ready solution they'd be implementing it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    What it will do is encourage investors back into rental market. Currently there’s lots of ghost houses because of labours meddling making being a kandlord unattractive for a variety of reasons. Hence why we have the emergency housing crisis because labour essentially did all it could to discourage investors from being landlords.
    Nah. The problem is a lack of houses. Having more landlords doesn't change the total number of houses. We will still have the problem of what to do with people who need housing.

I'll mention this because y'all won't remember. There used to be 'transit camps'. Christchurch airport was a big one. The former airforce buildings had been converted to accomodation, families in need of housing lived there until they could be moved to a new state house in Papanui which was the new suburb at the time. A similar arrangement existed at New Plymouth Airport. There was also a transit camp at Western Springs in Auckland but a look at the map suggests it has been demolished and it's park land or part of the zoo now. Mind, it was a bit of a zoo in 1959 when I delivered papers there.

There would have been many others around the country but those are just the ones I saw. The answer to the housing problem then was state houses which were initially funded by the money in the Post Office Savings bank. Presumably it was Roger Douglas sold that off and the banking industry has undergone major change so a new solution is needed. Alas, I'm not seeing any sign of it yet.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Nah. The problem is a lack of houses. Having more landlords doesn't change the total number of houses. We will still have the problem of what to do with people who need housing.

I'll mention this because y'all won't remember. There used to be 'transit camps'. Christchurch airport was a big one. The former airforce buildings had been converted to accomodation, families in need of housing lived there until they could be moved to a new state house in Papanui which was the new suburb at the time. A similar arrangement existed at New Plymouth Airport. There was also a transit camp at Western Springs in Auckland but a look at the map suggests it has been demolished and it's park land or part of the zoo now. Mind, it was a bit of a zoo in 1959 when I delivered papers there.

There would have been many others around the country but those are just the ones I saw. The answer to the housing problem then was state houses which were initially funded by the money in the Post Office Savings bank. Presumably it was Roger Douglas sold that off and the banking industry has undergone major change so a new solution is needed. Alas, I'm not seeing any sign of it yet.
    thats not the only problem.There seems to be a real problem with actually building the houses. It can be done.Drive throught the suburbs of naenae and taita in lower hutt.There are streets and streets and streets of houses all built(by hand) of houses all built within say 10 years. we just dont seem to be able to do that now

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    thats not the only problem.There seems to be a real problem with actually building the houses. It can be done.Drive throught the suburbs of naenae and taita in lower hutt.There are streets and streets and streets of houses all built(by hand) of houses all built within say 10 years. we just dont seem to be able to do that now
    We are still building heaps of new houses just for the wrong people. One only has to ride rural roads to see lifestyle blockscropping up faster than rabbit colonies.When you factor in travel times for all the contractors there’s prob a halving in build capacity right there.
    We have a huge new estate being built on hilltop in HBbut in no way are those properties going to be affordable for social housing or first time buyers.
    Govt should be brave and say there’s a two year hiatus on building anything new more than 3km from current suburban edges or over say $800,000 valueexcept where land availability makes it issue.
    Even if you win lotto today apparently there’s a one year waiting list to get a suitable builder/constructor on job for new build.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post

Many of the State houses of the Hutt valley have been sold off to private owners. The ones remaining in state ownership were declared earthquake prone (brick chimneys mainly) and demolished under national. The land sat empty for many years until a buildng program was starts (by Labour, who woulda thought?) many places have been build along Cambridge terrace

And then Alexander Road in Trentham. Row upon row of two storey multiple units, all selling to 750K and up, postage stamp size section. It's the modern version of Coronation Street. Many bought by "investors" and then rented out - grand daughter is renting on and thought she had a bargain at $690 per week
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    We should be building modular housing in factories, that can be quickly erected depending on need, and easily removed and relocated if that need changes.

Same for schools, the prefab classrooms we had were pretty shitty but these days you could surely make some decent ones.

The problem with our rental housing market is that the only way to make money from it is through capital gain, not from rent. Investors have to constantly push up house prices, otherwise nobody profits. When there are enough investors selling houses to each other, they more or less dictate market values. I don’t know how to fix it, neither do this crop of politicians (or any other so far).
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    We are still building heaps of new houses just for the wrong people.
    You're looking in the wrong places. i had occasion today to cross ChCh from NW to SW through a lot of suburbs I haven't been in for several years.
    Multiple unit style developments under construction. Multiple single house builds - replacements I'd assume. Both in upper income suburbs and the well known low income side of town. Mix of starter housing - not the areas known for rentals either - and medium to top end builds

Christchurch is humming. The emphasis has changed from the semi rural Rolleston/West Melton developments to major work within existing city limits.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    We should be building modular housing in factories, that can be quickly erected depending on need, and easily removed and relocated if that need changes.
    We shouldn't be building housing, we should be creating sections for people to build houses on.

The 60's and 70's affordable housing was built when government and councils created subdivisions which were then on sold without any profit motive to home buyers, who then had a choice of housing companies who were genuinely competing with each other to get the business of people wanting houses on a tight budget.

In recent times development has been entirely left to private enterprise, with stupidly restrictive rules and limited options for building companies, or in many cases no option except a fixed price house and land package. I'm sure it's merely coincidence that the price of effectively the same house from different companies in neighboring subdivisions is exactly the same, the free market creates competition and the consumer is the winner, right?

There is an argument for mass production of housing, as has previously been done with the 'which of the standard plans do you want' approach, at least there are some economies of scale that way.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    There is an argument for mass production of housing, as has previously been done with the 'which of the standard plans do you want' approach, at least there are some economies of scale that way.
    This is EXACTLY what is happening now, row upon row of identical two storey duplex unit housing. But it seems any cost advantage goes to the developer, then end price to the purchaser is still outrageously high

https://www.gilliesgroupsales.co.nz/...rban-precinct/
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    We shouldn't be building housing, we should be creating sections for people to build houses on.

The 60's and 70's affordable housing was built when government and councils created subdivisions which were then on sold without any profit motive to home buyers, who then had a choice of housing companies who were genuinely competing with each other to get the business of people wanting houses on a tight budget.

In recent times development has been entirely left to private enterprise, with stupidly restrictive rules and limited options for building companies, or in many cases no option except a fixed price house and land package. I'm sure it's merely coincidence that the price of effectively the same house from different companies in neighboring subdivisions is exactly the same, the free market creates competition and the consumer is the winner, right?

I wish they could bring that back, but we seem to be stuck with the status quo barring some kind of major economic collapse. Vested interests (not judging here, just pointing it out) won’t allow significant government intervention in the housing market anymore.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information