Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayor Wayne Brown

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    When he was mayor up here in Northland he suggested residents and farmers should spray old engine oil onto gravel roads as a dust suppressant (rather than the council fixing it). Because back then I still did care about things, I wrote a letter to the newspaper saying that this is ridiculous because that oil will end up in our waterways. He replied with "In order to get cancer from old engine oil one would have to eat the road".

No further comment.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Brown arrived demanding the resignations of everybody on various council associated bodies. It quickly became obvious he had no idea what the bodies were actually supposed to be doing, let alone whether or not they were performing well or otherwise.

I can't help but wonder if his vocal opposition to Three Waters still holds since it has now been made apparent that Auckland badly needs it. He has made it clear he doesn't want government interference in Auckland. Presumably he wants the tax payer to fund his wish list with no oversight or control. That's not how it works.

He gives the impression that he has no idea of the actual role of a mayor. He seems to have confused the role with that of a king.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Brown arrived demanding the resignations of everybody on various council associated bodies. It quickly became obvious he had no idea what the bodies were actually supposed to be doing, let alone whether or not they were performing well or otherwise.

I can't help but wonder if his vocal opposition to Three Waters still holds since it has now been made apparent that Auckland badly needs it. He has made it clear he doesn't want government interference in Auckland. Presumably he wants the tax payer to fund his wish list with no oversight or control. That's not how it works.

He gives the impression that he has no idea of the actual role of a mayor. He seems to have confused the role with that of a king.
    His only stated policy position was "We need to move the port north". So 100 miles away, and northland roads. JUst so him and his owners could garner immense profits. and without realising that Ports of Auckland owns all that land.

Chancing cunt, woefully illequipped to deal with public office - notwithstanding 6 years in norfland.

Also a bully - getting in a lift with someone and saying "What do you do?" and then saying "How is that even a job?".

No idea about the separation of governance and management. Thinks he is a Russian oligarch in charge of a formerly state owned oil refinery (to just imagine a hypothetical out of nowhere). Mayors have little executive authority in New Zealand. The governing body is the council itself and fuckface has one vote out of 20 and (correct me if I am wrong) a casting vote in the event of a tie. But ties don't happen because of party politics really. The council employ one staff member: the chief executive. The chief executive employs all the rest of the staff.

decided it is beneath him to work more than 6 hours a day because well, fuck you ratepayers the gig doesnt pay enough and he wants to play tennis.

So, to recap: no understanding of the role, a bully, lazy, no grasp of the issues.

And I'd still vote for him over Luxon even if it was an election for who runs the school canteen. Not that either of them should be near impressionable young minds.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    getting in a lift with someone and saying "What do you do?" and then saying "How is that even a job?".
    If the US big tech layoffs are any sort of weather-vane, there seems to be a good number of people whose job could be referred to in such a manner.

And then one has to ask, Public institutions are notoriously worse for bloat than companies - is it any stretch of the imagination to think that Councils (especially Auckland Council) would be filled with such 'workers'?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Two wheeler
    Is it my imagination or has he got really hairy hands?

Last edited by admenk; 2nd February 2023 at 16:55. Reason: picture added

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    If the US big tech layoffs are any sort of weather-vane, there seems to be a good number of people whose job could be referred to in such a manner.

And then one has to ask, Public institutions are notoriously worse for bloat than companies - is it any stretch of the imagination to think that Councils (especially Auckland Council) would be filled with such 'workers'?
    Even if it is (and I grant you that it might be, if a comparison with the very limited dealings I have with the bureaucracy here is valid) my point is and was that Fucknuckle Code Brown (and now I have seen those hands and that $500 worth of Thai dentistry, I cant fucking unsee it) the point is that his role is a governance role. the council is a board of directors: it sets policy and goals. Want to cut costs? task the CEO (the sole employee, remember) with cost reduction. Want to target those cost cuts? Again: the new policy is that XYZ is not core local gubblemunt business: sell it off or downsize it or lose it all together: Strategic directive issued to CEO, who fucking sorts it out if he wants his contract renewed.

Browns conduct is exactly that of a board director going down the shop floor, and firing someone on a whim. Probably would have gotten away with it in the 50's and 60's. Not now. All it is is a fucking gift to the employment lawyer who takes it who immediately starts thinking about how big a boat this will buy. Fucking stupid all round. Like I said: 1 out of 20.

Do you think he washes his hands thoroughly after a shit... just to make sure? I mean arse-dags are bad enough, but shitballs on your knuckles? Ugh.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Thanks for the comments, gentlefolk.

I have enjoyed much of the very descriptive prose that is on display in this thread.

I bow to your literary wit.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure that catchy phrase " not my job to run in with buckets", although correct, will come back to haunt him at election time when the people who have had their properties flooded are considering who might do a better job.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admenk View Post
    Is it my imagination or has he got really hairy hands?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PFz56XWQI
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 2nd February 2023 at 22:49.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I seem to recall councils being removed by the government of the day and a commissioner or similar being appointed.
    Ecan springs to mind (there's a joke coming if you think hard enough), when we had a National government, and they were saying no to farmers wanting more ground water. Clearly incompetent, so needed to be replaced by government appointed commissioners who would say yes.

Public institutions are notoriously worse for bloat than companies
    That's why all those essential services that used to be publicly owned got so much cheaper for the consumer when they were sold off to private shareholders....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    That's why all those essential services that used to be publicly owned got so much cheaper for the consumer when they were sold off to private shareholders....
    That depends a lot on a number of factors.

I also remember how inefficient some of those essential services are/were when they were publicly owner.

Even if I take what is written as correct - is it cheaper for the consumer if they have to wait 6 months?

And I refer to my previous point - Lots of big companies have an awful lot of useless jobs - I mean, I've worked with Marketing people.... (I jest...)

In terms of Essential Services - I've noticed that a lot of the 'much cheaper' is usually a function of when the physical assets were built and the cost to maintain.

a 5 year old Hospital is much cheaper to maintain than a 50 year old hospital.

The Government builds a new asset, and the maintenance is 'cheap', then it gets sold to a private entity (who perhaps skimps on the maintenance a bit) and with the ravages of time, the costs increase. Not to mention that a Private entity has to build in the cost of Litigation into their pricing structure, something a Government does not.

But let's remind ourselves of this old Gem:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...804-story.html

Now, I know occassionally in private businesses, Corrupt individuals cheat the system and skim a little for themselves - do you know any corporate entity that would tolerate a $400 Hammer in 1986 prices?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Even if it is (and I grant you that it might be, if a comparison with the very limited dealings I have with the bureaucracy here is valid) my point is and was that Fucknuckle Code Brown (and now I have seen those hands and that $500 worth of Thai dentistry, I cant fucking unsee it) the point is that his role is a governance role. the council is a board of directors: it sets policy and goals. Want to cut costs? task the CEO (the sole employee, remember) with cost reduction. Want to target those cost cuts? Again: the new policy is that XYZ is not core local gubblemunt business: sell it off or downsize it or lose it all together: Strategic directive issued to CEO, who fucking sorts it out if he wants his contract renewed.

Browns conduct is exactly that of a board director going down the shop floor, and firing someone on a whim. Probably would have gotten away with it in the 50's and 60's. Not now. All it is is a fucking gift to the employment lawyer who takes it who immediately starts thinking about how big a boat this will buy. Fucking stupid all round. Like I said: 1 out of 20.
    See, I have a different view - I've seen in some organizations (both first hand and from a 3rd party perspective) - that the CEO says we are going to do X.

And then a bunch of middle-management completely ignore this and go about business as usual.

Rightly or wrongly (and I'm surprised a Lawyer isn't salivating at the notion of nice fat wrongful dismissal suit) - sometimes the CEO needs to come the shop floor and make sure what they have asked to be done, is actually being done.

For the record, I have very little dog in this fight - I don't know Mr Brown, nor do I much care, I've stated that I stand by my initial assessment that he's both probably a Cunt and definitely a Cunt.

My only point is that this sort of largess is rife, I don't mind it so much in big companies, because I can take my business elsewhere, but when it comes to Governments paying for all sorts of nonsense jobs (and especially nonsense Activist jobs) - that's paid for out of my Tax Dollars - that could be going to something more productive.

I could help a dozen low income families for the cost of one DIE consultant/

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Rightly or wrongly (and I'm surprised a Lawyer isn't salivating at the notion of nice fat wrongful dismissal suit) - sometimes the CEO needs to come the shop floor and make sure what they have asked to be done, is actually being done.
    Brown is not the CEO, he's the equivalent of a chairman of the board. His primary reponsibilities are policy and finance, neither of which will be directly influenced by anybody on the factory floor.

As for privatised services being cheaper I will offer electricity. I still recall the lying prick of a minister standing there announcing that selling off the assets that we owned would make electricity cheaper. Never mind that whoever bought the assets needs to borrow the money, so they'll be paying interest which puts the price up. Then the shareholders wasn't to be paid so that puts the price up again. Previously the resources were managed strategically so that we didn't run out of power. Now they don't care about that, they just use whichever resource is cheaper so as to maximise profit. It doesn't matter if the southern lakes get drained, they'll just claim it's a one in twenty year drought and put the price up again.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    On the privatisation topic. Water has been privatised in UK. Currently it is cheaper for the water companies to dump raw sewage into the english channel and pay fines and spread the difference over the shareholders, than it is to fix the sewage systems, despite the government regulators insisting they are 'coming down very hard" on the offenders. NACT will soon be insisting that privatisation of water will be the only way that Aucklands water problems can be resolved, which is why they are campaigning so hard (on behalf of the their wealthy backers) against Three Waters.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...by-water-firms (Yes, TDL, it's from the Guardian, but the numbers are what matters)
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Brown is not the CEO, he's the equivalent of a chairman of the board. His primary reponsibilities are policy and finance, neither of which will be directly influenced by anybody on the factory floor.

As for privatised services being cheaper I will offer electricity. I still recall the lying prick of a minister standing there announcing that selling off the assets that we owned would make electricity cheaper. Never mind that whoever bought the assets needs to borrow the money, so they'll be paying interest which puts the price up. Then the shareholders wasn't to be paid so that puts the price up again. Previously the resources were managed strategically so that we didn't run out of power. Now they don't care about that, they just use whichever resource is cheaper so as to maximise profit. It doesn't matter if the southern lakes get drained, they'll just claim it's a one in twenty year drought and put the price up again.
    https://u3awellingtoncity.org.nz/wp-...ram-310519.pdf
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information