Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster preparedness and resilience

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Disaster preparedness and resilience

I count myself as fortunate to not have suffered as much as others locally in recent flooding but thereÂ’s nothing like the real thing to educate yourself about what you need to get through. Both from a survival perspective and maintaining sanity.
    None of this is a rant or woe is me, itÂ’s all meant as message to all about preparedness, because once transport links are cut your preparations are all you have.
    So in town day one, our first experience is just enough surface flooding to not go to work, about 30mins after calling boss power goes out followed shortly after by phone and internet. This is the start of what would become nearly a week of zero electricity and about three days of no phone.
    When cell coverage does come back it was basically txts only, data was unusable.
    During this time rumours run rampant as the grapevine is only news source outside of those with battery powered radios.
    ItÂ’s not until Friday when one of my neighbours scores a generator that we get to see tv news and start to understand the level of devastation, even the new it still takes time to really sink in.
    I managed to stay away from supermarket for a week with what I had in cupboards but apparently things were tense and feral at times in early days due to lack of info on what help was coming.
    If you though covid ques were bad that was nothing, people also ques for gas to go nowhere on closed roads. ThereÂ’s only two petrol stations that still fill LPG bottles the que was over two hours for that.
    First couple nights were like scenes from apocalypse now movie as dozens of helicopters carried on their rescue missions flying low level over suburbs due to low cloud.
    Anyhow grateful to have a roof over my head you soon end up with a very clean house and not much left to do. Roads are closed to essential travel only and they donÂ’t want joe public out there getting in way of rescue and utility company works so frustrating sense of being unable to help others in early days. Although hats off to those in 4WD clubs who went above and beyond picking people up.
    Anyhow so what do I recommend you have on hand:

A get out now grab bag. When the covid style alert message came through of stopbanks about to fail it made me realise if I had been in that area was I ready to just leave right now?

Food- stuff that stores longer term and doesnÂ’t need too much preparation. Potatoes, rice, onions, biscuits, tea bags, soups, canned stew, canned fruits, vacumn packed precooked sausages (safe for quite awhile after no refrigeration)

Water- we still had running water luckily but with threat of it being turned off at any point as too many munters over using overloading clogged sewerage network. Immediately store water in empty containers so you can still wash up.

Shelter- a tarp to keep dry under or sit on if you have evacuate and a small tent.

Gumboots- needed of helping clean up somewhere donÂ’t want to be wrecking workboots etc if resupply ainÂ’t coming.

Candles.

Powerbank device. An inverter would be handy to run microwave via car. With thieves walking hoods listening for generators a few savvy types just had Ute idling running inverter, nice and subtle.

Books to read to give your mind a rest and distraction

Waste storage in event of no sewerage or rubbish collection. Our council did provide bags for spoiled meat/food but by time did Most was in normal rubbish bags. Amazing how fast a dead chicken attracts maggot eggs to bin.

A few luxury extras hidden away eg beers/chocolate to share with neighbours keep community spirit up.

BBQ to cook on, bloody essential and erm I didnÂ’t have one at time

IÂ’ve prob forgotten few things but thereÂ’s basics anyway. Also on a side note it all suddenly reworks the maths of having solar panels and some kind of home battery bank setup especially if you rely on electricity for heating, luckily all this happened in summer time.
    Oh and if you live off the grid in countryside you really are off the grid. Despite the massive effort by authorities and brave helicopter pilots thereÂ’s just such a huge rural population now they canÂ’t help everyone at once. Stories of people on rooftops for 8hrs or more not uncommon.
    If you live anywhere in a valley that could flood rapidly you need an axe or cutting equipment inside your house to escape through roof. Apparently a decent roof will take serious effort to get through, will you have time or ability to effect this escape.
    Also in rural environment it take serious amount of time for the big gear to clear roads if they can get it up there. SH5 lucky a lot of big gear positioned at wind farm construction and at some forestry sites.
    Feel free to add your own from experiences of things to help. IÂ’m now looking at what would we need in a nationwide event eg if Ruapehu went up and severed nationwide travel links and say we had to survive on our own for a month instead of a week.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The things we figured out after the earthquakes;

Water. A couple of containers (we have these for camping anyway) for general use, and a pack of bottles for drinking. Our place has a header tank for HWC, so there's that available as well if still in the house, otherwise know how (and have the bits) to get water from your HWC with no water pressure.

Food. Try and have a spare unopened rice/pasta/flour, container of milk powder, and some tins etc to get you through a few days.

Gas cooker. We have these for camping/tramping, really useful if you end up on a boil water notice, make sure you have spare canisters/full gas bottles

BBQ. You can cook just about anything with a hooded bbq, don't get caught with an empty gas bottle. Portable one is good if you have to get out.

Escape plan. Know where the things you need are if you have to leave in a hurry, including important documents and external hard drive with backups of everything that's normally kept on your computers.

Fuel. Try to keep the cars above at least 1/4 full, that will get you through a few days, or a reasonable distance away without stopping if you need to get the hell out.

Comms. UPS to keep your internet going at your end and hopefully it's still working further down the line. Battery powered radio, and spare batteries.

Power. At very least a USB adapter in the car to charge phones, better is a powerbank or solar with battery that can do more than one at a time, off grid caravan setup is good for this. Otherwise UPS as above, although will reduce autonomy time.

Light. Not fun living in the dark, solar charged or battery operated that can light up a room enough to live in it.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Good points Neels.

Just one other experience. My brother is not far away and his fibre was restored not long after power came back on. However I’m on copper ASDL and had no internet for over two weeks. Bit of research shows telecoms have plan to phase it out not too far away. I suppose fibre easier to work on than a million copper wire connections in flooded cabinets.
    Plus one on the little gas camp cookers handy if it’s raining outside.

Bike
    Sold
    I'm with Neels. Have lived permanently in Coromandel since 2008 and copped numerous storms. Minimal property damage but lots of power cuts and getting cut off through slips. Have got a lot of the things Neels mentions but the number one item for us is a smallish solar panel of decent quality. We use it for keeping the boat battery topped up but also an easily portable 12v battery. We use this setup for charging appliances, emergency lighting and so on. Only cost $200 or thereabouts for the panel and battery. Highly recommended!
    Cheers,
    Geoff

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    With Infinity type hot water systems becoming more common, the hot water cylinder as a source of water is not always available. To compensate I have a 200 litre water tank that is filled from the roof guttering. Water would need to be boiled before consumption. Will probably be be getting another tank for the other downpipe.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    R650R.....sounds like your experience was very similar to mine.....except Korea is a long way away from Taradale.

A mate loaned us an inverter (connected to the wifes Honda Jazz) and hooked up to the fridge it saved a lot of food. It was OK on the newish fridge but the old one in the garage was too power hungry. I never noticed before but on the new fridge, plain as day, is the word inverter.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Interesting and useful OP. I live on a river bank so such experiences are of interest.

After Christchurch a top recommendation was "stout" boots. After an earthquake sneakers are useless. I hadn't considered gumboots.

Canned food is the go to. Just looking, my stocks are down. I do have a battery Walkman as my CD radio. When the power went out of course the battery was flat. There were fresh batteries though.

I don't like having just one power source. I have a gas bottle as well as charcoal. I would like a small tramping type gas stove though my last one died.

For light, candles are risky. Sadly houses burn and lives may still be lost because of candles. I use tea lights. They are wider than they are high and they shoudn't fall over. You'll also need something to light the tea lights. If it works damp all the better. If you are storing cans make sure you have a working can opener.

Include a sharp knife and a roll of shithouse paper.

On reflection my bugout pack needs work.

Thanks to R650R for the thoughts.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    suzuki
    we've got $5k stashed with a bit broken down to workable notes and coins., and $250 calendar girl dollars in case i'm stuck in the cbd

Bike
    suzuki

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    we've got $5k stashed with a bit broken down to workable notes and coins., and $250 calendar girl dollars in case i'm stuck in the cbd
    I have some Mermaids Akld original currency lol. We need to develop a crypto stripper dollar that goes up in value so your loose change buys another ride next time lol

I did love the irony of the govt emergency agency during the Auckland floods telling people to keep some extra cash in hand during middle of a cost of living crisis. Hopefully as a silver lining these disasters have put a dent in progress of cashless society and the anti fossil fuels movement.
    Ohhhh to have access to transaction data and see how many greenies went out and bought generators....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I have some Mermaids Akld original currency lol. We need to develop a crypto stripper dollar that goes up in value so your loose change buys another ride next time lol
    You're both on a slippery slope. You'll be at the front before you know it..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/217338...-wagner-group/
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Well I know where you live so I'm after the Calendar Girls vouchers if needs be.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well I know where you live so I'm after the Calendar Girls vouchers if needs be.
    Are you offering to go arround and dance for spyda after the calendar girls?

A massive pile of pasta and Rice a generator and water storage.
    Generator and a deadmans plug.
    You also need 1000's of liters of water if you have a family.

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Interesting and useful OP. I live on a river bank so such experiences are of interest.

After Christchurch a top recommendation was "stout" boots. After an earthquake sneakers are useless. I hadn't considered gumboots.

Canned food is the go to. Just looking, my stocks are down. I do have a battery Walkman as my CD radio. When the power went out of course the battery was flat. There were fresh batteries though.

I don't like having just one power source. I have a gas bottle as well as charcoal. I would like a small tramping type gas stove though my last one died.

For light, candles are risky. Sadly houses burn and lives may still be lost because of candles. I use tea lights. They are wider than they are high and they shoudn't fall over. You'll also need something to light the tea lights. If it works damp all the better. If you are storing cans make sure you have a working can opener.

Include a sharp knife and a roll of shithouse paper.

On reflection my bugout pack needs work.

Thanks to R650R for the thoughts.
    Cheers. Yes candles are risky but that natural incandescent light and glimmer of heat is priceless. I keep various empty low height glass jars and use those as holders for tealight candle and then sit that on a plate in a safe location.

Keep an eye on your river banks if you dog walk or exercise along them. An investigation is under way to onecof breaches here it may have been a Friday section or similar, perhaps maybe just with age rain had washed out the fines holding it together.

Taking a step back if you discard your own knowledge of an areas history, all the places that flooded here are natural catchment areas. And we must remember that all flood protection is built to a budget for what we hope will be the worst during that time of current knowledge.
    Perhaps 2-3 times a year weÂ’d see our stopbanks doing some real work occasionally getting real high once every few years so we all grew complacent about the risk.
    But what happened this time was the rain all mostly fell in upper catchment area, low barometric pressure from the cyclone itself meant sea levels were up enough to constrain river drainage. None of us went to bed that night thinking HB would be as flooded as it was.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Something to add to this (only because I'm doing it through work):

Basic First Aid course.

Could be the difference between doing a successful set of chest compressions on someone and attending their funeral.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Thread Information