Thread: Close encounters with a Tesla (self driving fails?)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

Close encounters with a Tesla (self driving fails?)

Yesterday I had an incident leaving the motorway in a multi lane situation where a Tesla travelling beside me in the next lane tried to move into mine.

Naturally I hit the horn to let him know I was already there, but I got a couple of angry horn blasts back which seemed odd given the situation. It was raining, so I had my banana suit on (high-vis top and bottom) so visibility shouldn't have been an issue (cue arguments over high-vis blindness etc etc...)

Anyway, it started me wondering if he was letting the car drive for him, and got a fright when I interrupted whatever he was doing instead. It was a taxi, so I can see the appeal of being able to zone out when you're in the car for long periods every day. Plus the road was wet, which might have made the lane demarkation hard for the car's cameras to see.

'Auto-pilot' is available in NZ apparently, although with the usual disclaimer that the driver has to supervise at all times etc.

Just curious to see if anyone else has had any similar experiences around Teslas.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    FFS don't set off you know who!🤫🤫🤫
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    That's more likely to be a human. Some drivers just hit the horn as a reflex, no matter what they've done.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    People have become so used to hearing horns as a "fuck you!" that even when its used properly as a audible warning signal, they think they're being insulted.

But to be honest, if its a taxi aka uber, most of them are more focused on getting to their next pickup and use their phones for navigation. Google Maps said "move into that lane, turn left" and they just mindlessly do it without checking.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Yes all of the above is just as likely. Also a good lesson in why travelling alongside other vehicles in a multi-lane situation should be avoided if at all possible.

I see so many Teslas in Auckland these days, there has to be some owners who've paid the extra for Autopilot and are trying it out. The temptation would be irresistible to me, anyway, and as a human, the more time I was able to leave the Autopilot on and it worked, the less time I'd spend supervising it.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Heard on the wireless this morning that for every 50 cars produced world wide,one is a Tesla.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Heard on the wireless this morning that for every 50 cars produced world wide,one is a Tesla.
    yet of those remaining 49 cars, 23 of them are a Toyota
    Telsa's growth has been impressive but the others are muscling in on their niche.
    Traditionary their income has been propped up by carbon credits being sold to other manufacturers, This has funded their growth these have dried up.
    BYD has overtaken tesla as the best selling pev last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Yesterday I had an incident leaving the motorway in a multi lane situation where a Tesla travelling beside me in the next lane tried to move into mine.

Naturally I hit the horn to let him know I was already there, but I got a couple of angry horn blasts back which seemed odd given the situation. It was raining, so I had my banana suit on (high-vis top and bottom) so visibility shouldn't have been an issue (cue arguments over high-vis blindness etc etc...)

Anyway, it started me wondering if he was letting the car drive for him, and got a fright when I interrupted whatever he was doing instead. It was a taxi, so I can see the appeal of being able to zone out when you're in the car for long periods every day. Plus the road was wet, which might have made the lane demarkation hard for the car's cameras to see.

'Auto-pilot' is available in NZ apparently, although with the usual disclaimer that the driver has to supervise at all times etc.

Just curious to see if anyone else has had any similar experiences around Teslas.
    I’m sure the police would love to download the front and rear facing Tesla cam footage. I wonder what the financial cost to a company would be to be continually processing such requests.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    yet of those remaining 49 cars, 23 of them are a Toyota
    Telsa's growth has been impressive but the others are muscling in on their niche.
    Traditionary their income has been propped up by carbon credits being sold to other manufacturers, This has funded their growth these have dried up.
    BYD has overtaken tesla as the best selling pev last year.
    pev?? typo??
    Yes i saw a article the other day (i didnt read it) that gave some amazing statistic saying Toyota had produced the most vehicles last year.The sales numbers of EV are impressive but in proportion the th total number of vehicles existing or in use are tiny. I just cnt see that EVs will ever be the only vehicle in the world let alone all the other batteries we will need to have the sort of electical security we have now

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I just cnt see that EVs will ever be the only vehicle in the world let alone all the other batteries we will need to have the sort of electical security we have now
    Well you need to read between the lines. What you say is absolutely true. There won’t be enough for everyone but that is the Elites plan. That’s why the children are being climate brainwashed so future generations will go along with owning nothing, let alone private transport.

Electric vehicles of whatever kind will be purely for transport and security operations.
    General public will WALK, bus, train or bicycle EVERYWHere. And if you don’t like it there’s a free kerosene powered plane ride to Guantanamo bay…..
    This folks is the final plan of “equality”

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    A reminder for situational awareness. Story out of UK (Geoff buys cars) of an MG electric suv throttle Electronically jamming on. Car had to be stopped by ramming rear of police vehicle in coordinated move.
    Perhaps something we will see more of now the on/off and handbrake, throttle are all fly by wire setups.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    A reminder for situational awareness. Story out of UK (Geoff buys cars) of an MG electric suv throttle Electronically jamming on. Car had to be stopped by ramming rear of police vehicle in coordinated move.
    Perhaps something we will see more of now the on/off and handbrake, throttle are all fly by wire setups.
    As are most injected cars since the au ford falcons.......
    edit might have been ea falcon in 1988......
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information