Thread: Replacing brake disc bolts

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Replacing brake disc bolts

I have fitted a new set of front discs and had to reuse the old bolts as the new ones I'd ordered hadn't arrived. The old bolts were in good condition and just needed a clean and fresh thread lock.

Can anyone shed any light on why it is recommended to replace them when fitting new discs? The standard bolts are plated and there was no corrosion or thread damage.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Exercycle
    From the manufacturers point of view they're one of the most highly stressed fastemers on the bike, therefore replacement at the same time as the discs is a no-brainer.
    From an owner's point of view, they're not tightened to yeild point therefore should be OK for reuse.

In a race context, where discs are on and off wheels frequently - as in changing from dry to wets - the fasteners should at least be changed each season.

Never personally seen disc fasteners fail. But back in the day when scrutineering I put a stop to the guys with OW01's only using 3 of 6 fasteners per disc.
    Asking for trouble I thought.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I thought I'd be able to buy a set of bolts locally, but couldn't find the right shape. Searching online the top results were from Probolt in Australia selling stainless and titanium bolts for upwards of $15 each! I decided to stay with steel...

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Thread Information