Thread: Kove 450

Bike
    various

Kove 450

I keep seeing Youtube vids of the Kove 450 and how it is the unicorn for which everyone has been waiting: good motor/frame/suspension/price. I wonder if any enterprising importer in NZ will take a chance and bring in this Chinese bike, and not expand the price so much that it becomes a dead unicorn.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    I've heard a lot of Chinese cars like LDV don't have rust treatments, so they get rusty metal bits within a couple of years. Something can look like a fire blade or an Africa twin, be half the price because it's built by Chinese slave labour with cheap parts (taisko brakes?). Amateur reviewers will read off the spec-sheet and on paper these bikes might seem like a steal but will they hold-up for a few years - particularly the rally bike.

I mean, they might be good, definitely popular in low income economies like India and parts of Asia were a 450cc is a bigger bike and Royal Enfield is premium brand.

(skip the demo ride and start at 9:30 into the video for spec review)

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    the Kove 450 Rally enduro seems to be getting very favourable reviews eg https://www.dirtrider.com/tests/kove...e-review-2023/ That all three of the factory bikes completed the Dakar must count for something.
    If a NZ distributor does pick up this model I guess they will look at KTM pricing then dial it back a little (but not much)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    the Kove 450 Rally enduro seems to be getting very favourable reviews eg https://www.dirtrider.com/tests/kove...e-review-2023/ That all three of the factory bikes completed the Dakar must count for something.
    If a NZ distributor does pick up this model I guess they will look at KTM pricing then dial it back a little (but not much)
    The Kove 450 Rally demos in the US have been thrashed by journos and completed two Baja rallys lately, high placings, too. One race was on bone stock suspension, they did really well. Apparently customer delivery in the US is next month, quite a few people have put down deposits. I look forward to the reviews.

I followed Robbo Robinson prepping a Kove (GPX) 300 2t for hard enduro in the UK. He's a very happy camper despite damaging quite a lot of scenery with it.
    He suspects that the engine is so close to a KTM that their must be some kind of agreement between the companies or KTM would be going rabid.

Kove are also planning on releasing a sub 200kg, 100 (possibly) hp, 800 twin adventure bike, again the motor looks remarkably KTMish.

Being an optimist, I hope Kove mark the turning point for Chinese bikes which the Japanese car manufacturers reached in the late 70's, early 80's.
    No reason why they shouldn't, their are millions of Chinese commuter bikes in countries less fortunate than ours which are being thrashed mercilessly across deserts, jungles and mountains carrying crates of chickens, the kids and the mother in law.

My GG trials bike has a Chongshen TTR 125 knock off engine in it and has been thrashed mercilessly, too, at the absolute limit of it's 10hp max rev ceiling for a few years now. All I do is change the oil. No issues whatsoever despite setting it on fire and firing it off a cliff. I love it!
    Last edited by george formby; 26th August 2023 at 16:58. Reason: not enough thrashing!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Ready to race, again, somewhere in the US. They certainly look the part.

Manopausal.

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Once the Chinese catch up on the finer details then they will be the new Japanese basically. But good, safe brakes is a must. You can overlook rust protection and a bit of a cheap feel/look in other areas but brakes save your ass!
    That Kawasaki ZX-4 is probably going to be 17/18K NZD when it gets here so if someone could get these in and flog them for around $10K then they'd probably do OK.

The CFmoto 450SR parallel twin looks like a more polished package and retails for $8,790. Its got the 270 deg firing order so sounds alright. But there is something about a 4 cylinder howl eh. Oh, that and the 71 HP!
    https://www.cfmoto.co.nz/model/450sr-abs-nz

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern scratcher View Post
    Once the Chinese catch up on the finer details then they will be the new Japanese basically. But good, safe brakes is a must. You can overlook rust protection and a bit of a cheap feel/look in other areas but brakes save your ass!
    That Kawasaki ZX-4 is probably going to be 17/18K NZD when it gets here so if someone could get these in and flog them for around $10K then they'd probably do OK.

The CFmoto 450SR parallel twin looks like a more polished package and retails for $8,790. Its got the 270 deg firing order so sounds alright. But there is something about a 4 cylinder howl eh. Oh, that and the 71 HP!
    https://www.cfmoto.co.nz/model/450sr-abs-nz
    I saw one of those CF Motos recently. - at first glance I thought it was a Yamaha R6 or similar - certainly looks the part and talking to the owner he seemed happy enough
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information