Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid old helmet question

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

Stupid old helmet question

I have a 2014 Bell RS-1 which I bought in 2018 and have been wearing pretty much every day since then, it’s the most comfortable and best-fitting helmet I’ve ever owned.

Lately I’ve noticed some white cracks are starting to appear in the black polystyrene lining. It’s old and overdue for replacement, but helmet shopping is a real headache when your head apparently doesn’t fit the mean that most manufacturers cater for.

I also have a much cheaper Bell Qualifier bought in 2016, same basic shape (visors interchangeable) but plastic instead of fibreglass and not so comfy, well-fitting or generous with the lining. This one only has about a year’s worth of wear on it, been sitting on a shelf since then.

Another new, proper-fitting helmet is the ideal, but in the meantime which would you keep wearing? The well-used, higher quality but showing its age helmet that still fits really well, or the basic, still quite old but hardly used helmet that fits just OK?
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Get the credit card out and go shopping now......your head will thank you for it later.

Upon returning to motorcycling I bought a Bell qualifier....it looked the business but the thing squealed like a pig and after a month or two I spent yet more$$ on a replacement and after some more months I bought another helmet, in an attempt to upgrade and quieten things down.
    I am still using the latest now after a couple of years.

Go on get down to the motorcycle shop/s and have a bit of fun trying things on.....

Bike
    It was on the good
    Just don't fall off. Problem solved.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I bought a new Shoei X11 about 15 yrs ago, It'll probably see me out.....?????

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I bought a new Shoei X11 about 15 yrs ago, It'll probably see me out.....?????
    Shoei recommend binning a helmet 5 years from purchase or 7 years from DoM. I'm sure that's conservative, but my experience has been that around 5 years is definitely long enough.

I had an X11 Vermeulen but crashed wearing it when it was a year old. Never wore it again but keep it on a shelf in the garage.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Finally retired the old Shark - I did get it in 2006! I suppose 16 yrs of use was enough ...... Wanted a Bell - none available in WA - ended with a Suomy TX-Pro carbon composite. First Suomy that's ever fitted, light, quieter on a naked than a fared bike -?? - good aeros and affordable.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Shoei recommend binning a helmet 5 years from purchase or 7 years from DoM. I'm sure that's conservative, but my experience has been that around 5 years is definitely long enough
    why, what is defective that at five years fails to do it's job?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why, what is defective that at five years fails to do it's job?
    The EPS liner hardens with age according to Shoei. But they are now saying to replace after 7 years.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    The EPS liner hardens with age according to Shoei. But they are now saying to replace after 7 years.

what was the old Bell Ad, If you have a $10 head ,wear a $10 helmet !!!!! lol

My shoei could be degrading naturally I suppose ? But it's never hit the deck. MY usage is maybe once a week in Summer, (3 mths )
    Otherwise it's sitting in the garage out of the sun.
    I think I paid $1200 for it when new.
    A major impact would be the final test I guess,but I don't plan on that....It looks like new !

Bike
    suzuki

so how good are the manufacturers if they are still using the same defective material 30 years later?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so how good are the manufacturers if they are still using the same defective material 30 years later?
    There is nothing better than EPS for absorbing impact forces, despite its deficiencies.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    what was the old Bell Ad, If you have a $10 head ,wear a $10 helmet !!!!! lol

My shoei could be degrading naturally I suppose ? But it's never hit the deck. MY usage is maybe once a week in Summer, (3 mths )
    Otherwise it's sitting in the garage out of the sun.
    I think I paid $1200 for it when new.
    A major impact would be the final test I guess,but I don't plan on that....It looks like new !
    You shouldn't keep helmets in the garage, as they may be exposed to solvents. Mine lives in the wardrobe!

You could take the liner out and have a good look at the EPS, Shoei paint it black for a reason... But really, there is no way to know if it's OK or not.

New helmets should meet the revised ECE standard, which is an significant improvement over the previous version.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Replacing helmet after 5 years 'myth'

Your old helmet has probably 'broken in' to the shape of your head after 10 years of wear. If you have a round head, look for brands that suit that shape, same goes for oval. Don't be shy asking to order thicker padding for the helmet if you want a snug fit.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    You shouldn't keep helmets in the garage, as they may be exposed to solvents. Mine lives in the wardrobe!
    Lol if you saw my garage it's like a bedroom for the car, rideon and the bike ! I have a shed for nasty solvents n shit.

Ps was gunna get out today early for a fang ,but figured its a Holiday so there may be more chicanes on the roads.
    Tomoro early then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! G xxxx

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post

He doesn't really deal with myth 1 except to say how it came about. Shoei has recently changed their recommendation to replace every 7 years, so perhaps they have done some research?

Thread Information