Thread: Fork tube chart

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

Fork tube chart

Ages ago there was on the web, a chart of fork tube diameters, steering tube bearings, all sorts. I found it here, http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77043. Husa pointed out that it originally came from here. http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=nz both links are now dead, did anyone have an offline copy? I need a pair of tubes (Stanchions) for a mid-80 Suzuki GS1100G. I bought a pair from Ebay that had 1/ really good chrome, 2/ different top cap thread to the GS1100G 3/ no recess for the bottom bush and 4/ one of the tubes was about 30mm shorter than the other. Other than that - great. I am i discussions with the vendor about how this will be resolved. Meanwhile I am looking for a source of tubes 37mm diameter (very common among GS Suzis) and 610 mm long hence the requirement for the chart.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...i-GS1200/page3
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Exercycle
    I've got a flashdrive - originally from Husa - with the original OCR fork tube charts/stem sizes on.

Listed by OD but doesn't specify lengths.

If it's any use PM me and I'll post it to you for you to print. Probably too big for an email.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I've got a flashdrive - originally from Husa - with the original OCR fork tube charts/stem sizes on.

Listed by OD but doesn't specify lengths.

If it's any use PM me and I'll post it to you for you to print. Probably too big for an email.

OK hold that thought. I guess my recollection of that chart was incorrect. I've found on one of my hard drives a 58 page PDF catalog for TNK fork tubes which does list diameters and lengths but its going to require a manual search to find the diameter and length that I need - however I have more time than anything else right now , But thank you for the offer
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Not having much success with the Ebay vendor of mismatched tubes but moving on, have bought another set of forks from TradeMe whci the vendoe "thinks" are gs650 - the important part being that they are 37mm diameter. They arrived today and are complete, good-ish condition (rattle can black of course) and I stripped them down to see what I got. So they have anti dive valves on the front and an air balance tube hose between the tubes, about midway between the triples, tubes are 636 mm, My TNK fork tube catalog puts them as 1984 GSX750ES, and the parts diagram at CMSNL mostly confirms this, although the air balance hose parts are not shown. However it also confirms I am missing a few parts from one damper but I might be able to fabricate / adaprt these. Anyway, any other opinions of what the fork might be from?
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    i brought three nos gs1000g stanchions a while ago, two went in the warlord, still have one somewhere, not sure what use that is though?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i brought three nos gs1000g stanchions a while ago, two went in the warlord, still have one somewhere, not sure what use that is though?
    How long is it? The two I have are 611mm and 594mm. Correct length for the 1100G is the 611 (give or take a little wee bit) I would also need a couple of caps that fit. The original 1100G ones have a three stage preload adjuster but are different thread
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    How long is it? The two I have are 611mm and 594mm. Correct length for the 1100G is the 611 (give or take a little wee bit) I would also need a couple of caps that fit. The original 1100G ones have a three stage preload adjuster but are different thread
    i'll have to find it!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the follow up. I've now settled on using the "TradeMe forks" with some variations. I'm pretty sure they are from a GSX750E - there are the only ones that I found in the CMSNL parts lists with both antidive and the air balance tube. Springs are too light so I have used the GS1100 springs with spacers to make up the length. The antidive units were seized internally so will be installed but not connected to the brakes. And finally the air balance hose meant the original headlight/indicator mounts wont be useable so aftermarket "caferacer" headlight mounts will be used and dont look too bad.

the Ebay vendor has refused point blank to entertain any thought that the two different length tubes supplied are his fault, he claimed that the bikes "came that way" and when I referred him the CMSNL 1980 GS1000E parts catalog showing that this wasn't the case I got a shitty "dont message me again" reply so this will be passed on to the Ebay disputes team.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    And shit! Forks installed, looking good, guard installed, wheel installed, go to mount calipers and - they changed the angle (but not the spacing) of the bolts relative to the slider so the caliper now touches the disk long before the bolts line up. Maybe the donor bike had smaller disks, or different calipers or whatever. Fukkit, going back to the original 1100G forks and hope the pitting doesnt dmage the seals too much. Silver lining, have a set of whatever these other forks are in pretty good condition if any one looking
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Exercycle
    Can you put the 1100G sliders on the 750 stanchions ?

I've got a racebike here with Impulse sliders on Kawasaki EX500 stanchions - and in bushed GSXR750J triples, lol.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Can you put the 1100G sliders on the 750 stanchions ?

I've got a racebike here with Impulse sliders on Kawasaki EX500 stanchions - and in bushed GSXR750J triples, lol.
    That was my initial thought and yes they would fit BUT the damper rods are quite different at the bottom. Both types have a conical aluminium piece that goes into a recess at the bottom of the tube for hydraulic cushion/stop at maximum compression but the diameters, lengths and angles are all different and the 750 damper rods also have different sized oil passages, these two differences are possibly to take into account what happens when the anti dive activates. I think I tried all the combinations of fork tubes, sliders and damper rods

Sellers remorse over the GS1100GK rolling chassis I sold a while ago. Could have dropped that front end straight in and got fatter (41mm) forks into the bargain, and put Concours twin spot calipers / Honda disks on like the 1100GK in the shed.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information