Thread: Adding DRL to Low/High setup

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Adding DRL to Low/High setup

Going to try something I haven't done before... maybe someone can shortcut me to a: do this, then this.

Honda CB919, I feel like mixing it up, changing out to an LED headlight (yeah, I could well make this bike less reliable). All my other bikes have LED headlights, one less thing to carry (spare bulbs), or go wrong during trips.
    Headlight has a DRL circuit, but the Honda only has low and high beam, no off switch, so low beam always on when the bike is running. I want to be able to turn off the low beam during the day, and run on DRL, then press the switch again if at night, and go back to low beam, DRL off (or much dimmer, which is probably too much hassle in comparison)

I'm guessing I need to add something like a SPDT switch (between the switch and headlight, and add the DRL to it), but complicating this is the headlight wiring running through the right switch block via the ignition switch.

So, any tips or tricks? yeah... an actual motorcycle topic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Investigate to see if there is a switch block for another country that has a seperate light on/off switch. EG my KLR has permanently on lights, so just a Hi/lo switch. Some people like to be able to switch the lights off when starting so the starter gets all of the battery voltage . There is a european-spec Kawasaki which uses a similar style of switch block, but with a seperate lights on switch. It also has a trigger-type headlight flasher. the downside is that it required relocating the choke control, but, if you want something enough...
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    That was one thought I had, but actually seemed like (and someone from NZ commented), the NZ/Euro spec had more features than other countries, ie, if I swapped to US, I'd lose something.

Other option would be trying to find another model that had an uprated block with more features, that was still cross compatible... but no idea how I'd go about finding out what was compatible... Honda also made changes years ago, to swap the indicators and horn around, which drove me nuts (always expecting the horn at the bottom thanks)... indicated my fury when cars cut me off... didn't help.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Is there a separate connection into the headlight for the DRL, low and high beam?

If there is and you have somewhere to mount a switch, the easy way would be a SPDT switch on the low beam feed to the headlight to switch between low and DRL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switch.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	354541
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So what's the legality of that? NZ law probably says something like you have to have your headlight on. If it does then that would be a problem if the drls were not certified as a headlight, no matter how effective.

My 765 drl switch does nothing, apparently it did the year before on the 2021. Now always on. Did they change it for this reason?
    Don't know. Just asking questions.

Just thinking, they probably draw bugger all current. Why not just wire them always on? Save a lot of trouble and you can't see the front from the saddle.
    Jeez I never ride at night these days, I only once did on the 675 unplanned. The most important thing was I'd stashed some safety glasses under the seat so I could ride with my (Dark) visor up. Was glad I did.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Is low beam always on, or are the headlights always on? The headlight beams are likely to be powered by relays, so you may also need to consider where to connect the switch. An SPDT in the wire that switches the low beam relay is probably the simplest solution. You may not need a relay as DRLs don't usually draw much current.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So what's the legality of that? NZ law probably says something like you have to have your headlight on. If it does then that would be a problem if the drls were not certified as a headlight, no matter how effective.
    Assuming of course that the replacement headlight is legal in the first place, I recall some previous posts about being rejected for WOF because replacement LED headlight didn't have correct approval marks.

Anyway, from NZTA

Headlight
    Riding with your headlight on dip (low beam) during the day makes you and your motorcycle more noticeable.

If your motorcycle was manufactured on or after 1 January 1980, you must use your headlight on dip or daytime running lamps during daylight hours.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Is there a separate connection into the headlight for the DRL, low and high beam?
    Headlight has H4 for low/high and I presume the additional two wires are for the DRL. Bike is off being serviced, so I haven't played yet, just trying to figure out how I'm doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

Just thinking, they probably draw bugger all current. Why not just wire them always on? Save a lot of trouble and you can't see the front from the saddle.
    As Neels has pointed out, law is low or DRL (tbh, the law is an ass, and can't keep up with manufacturers. Tried arguing with NZTA their own laws didn't work and didn't get very far even with pointing everything out). Depending on how your 765 varies in it's global config, there are countries with either no laws, or a law requiring no headlight during the day, sometimes it varies in the firmware loaded to the bike. I know on my 1090R, when stopped, I can set the DRL to on, in which case, the low beam is off, unless the light sensor thinks there isn't enough light, and dims the DRL and turns the low beam on.

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Is low beam always on, or are the headlights always on? The headlight beams are likely to be powered by relays, so you may also need to consider where to connect the switch. An SPDT in the wire that switches the low beam relay is probably the simplest solution. You may not need a relay as DRLs don't usually draw much current.
    Low beam always on, switch to change to high beam. Yeah, got to figure out how to turn off the low beam and run DRL instead (and don't need a 3rd option for off, just one or the other). Being LED, its an unusual shape (most of a circle plus a horizontal line), so I figure will be more visible than regular low beam, when I don't need light.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ah, I had to read it a 2nd time to cop the drl spelt out.

Does the light have a DOT or similar marking on it?

A mate worked at a distributor many years ago and they were explaining to a new far Eastern company that in nz you needed to have the std marked on the lenses.
    "Ahh! What numbers do you want?"

um. . ,
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yep, has the markings.

And yep, if you pay, they're always happy to ... "make it so"

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Led bulbs in headlight are illegal WOF fail if not original equipment. The reasoning being is the reflector pattern designed for normal bulb will throw high intensity led light in other drivers eyes.
    Depends on how skilled your WOF provider is though.
    I fitted a LED rear tail/stop bulb on an ADV bike and took it out after a few days. Then difference in brightness between tail and stop was not enough in my opinion.

You prob need two sets of relays to do what you want. It might just be easier to run two manual switches. A double pole single throw switch is what you really want but not sure that type is available in something Mc handle bar friendly design.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Led bulbs in headlight are illegal WOF fail if not original equipment.
    Correct, but this is an LED headlight / headlamp, ie, a complete replacement.

Thread Information