Just looking to buy a paddock rear stand for my bike
    I note that there appears to be wide variety and cost ie on Trademe
    Some are $60 others that look the same are same are $260

Any advice from those that who have used both would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Saw your post and while not fully qualified to answer your question, not having used both, I was just charging the bike battery and with your post in mind took a look at my stand. The stand is of Italian manufacture, IIRC I originally bought it for the Ducati. Looking at the stand the tubing appears positively chunky compared to the cheap stands on Trademe which are apparently made of much smaller diameter tube. Sadly we can't check the wall thickness but I suspect that too is likely lower spec.

I guess it comes down to how lucky you feel?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post

Thanks in advance
    I have used for ages and recommend Bikelift brand. I have no idea what they cost - I have 2 single sided ones (Honda and Dooooocati) and one with hooks for bobbins (Triumph) and one with flat pads for bikes without bobbins but double sided arm. I also have a front stand that uses pins that go up the steering stem. Really useful if you want to take wheels in to get tyres. (Fuck doing that DIY).

The only thing that makes your ahole pucker a bit is holding the bike up with one hand while you grovel round getting the rear stand positioned. I've only lost a bike off one once - but once was enough.

A left field choice might be an ABBA stand. I have one and I think there's a bit of a learning curve with them but once sussed they are secure. They grab the swingarm pivot and you can weight the rear to get the front up, which can be useful for example if you are changing steering head bearings.

https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/blrstdrs17.aspx

https://www.abbastands.co.uk/
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I bought a couple of stands from Torpedo 7 about 10 years ago. They were cheap but have proved solid enough. The one negative is the rear stand isn't quite wide enough for the R1 and I bought an aluminium stand on special from Supercheap. That one isn't as solid, but does the job.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    There will be a difference in markup I'm sure, but there are the harder to see details, the quality of the metal used, the thickness of the wall of the tube and then materials used in finishing/painting. It makes a substantial difference in weight as well, which will then affect shipping costs.

Some will have multiple attachment types (hooks for bobbins, L brackets for under swingarms) while others will only be one type. Some have wheels, some don't.

Can't recommend one, I went the other way, and all my bikes have centre stands, and I use Whites motorcycle movers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Cheap products are cheap for a reason. I’ve got front and rear.
    Ones with wheels are handy as you can shuffle bike forward a little if you need to.
    If you want to skimp on $$$ then on the bobbins side you can just use a couple m8 bolts in swing arm mounts each time.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post

Thanks in advance
    if you have more than one bike adjustability is handy, otherwise sometimes you have to squeeze them to fit your bike but you wouldn't want to do that with more than one bike.

Thread Information