Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celtic Sea Lily's Maiden Voyage! (Entry 1)

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6
    Yikes... today is supposed to be the good one

Tomorrow is going to be the shocker in the Welly region .. according to Morning Report this morning.

Let's hope you still got the bug when you get back lily...
    Hmmmmmmm...well I guess I just have to hope they have it as wrong as they did last week. :sly: It was supposed to be crap all the way up & in Hamilton as well and the weather was all good. I was expecting rain all the way up so I guess I can't get away absolutely "scot free".
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    2004 Yamaha R1
    Epic first voyage Ms Lily! Now that you mention it I remember being well spooked by those hairpins in the Desert Rd when i first came on them. And I already had several years experience in Europe under my belt by then.

I'm also impressed with your patience to chill at 80kph when there is no room to go around. More novices would make it into their 30s if they did that.

What say ye KiwiBikers, is the Ms Sea Lily a true adventurer or what?
    The more you know the less you need

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    Quote Originally Posted by mccool
    What say ye KiwiBikers, is the Ms Sea Lily a true adventurer or what?
    Absolutely!!!

Good luck for the trip tomorrow.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Well on the road again today and it appears that according to Tansit NZ I'll just have to divert off SHW 1 at onto SHW 3 Bulls via Sanson to Palmerston North and then onto SHW 57 via Shannon, although it sounds like the roads are still pretty dodgey.

This will definitely be an adventure!

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Heeeeeere's Lily!!

I'm baaaaaaack and in serious need of a beer! Will post later

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Sea_lily
    I'm baaaaaaack and in serious need of a beer! Will post later

LOL!

Excellent and well done!
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 2009 Yamaha FZ1-N
    ten hours from one post to the next, not bad Celtic_Sea_lily most people wait until the following day. When is your next trip??

Now that you have acheived a short jaunt, interested in a decent ride in October???

Mike

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    LOL!

Excellent and well done!
    True that My first epic did not end so well

Well done, and hears to many more successful journeys.

Bike
    07 R1

end of a journey...

You Celtic,

I'm chillin' listening to rockin' islander music, moving my ass in my seat to the beat. Am glad you made it back to headquarters.

If ever you need the company through this part of the wilderness again just lettuce know.

Two thumbs up girl:

ching_ching

Bike
    None any more
    Celtic Sea Lily -- be warned that this touring around the countryside is HIGHLY addictive... Not to mention about the best possible fun you can have with ALL YOUR CLOTHES ON!!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Entry 7 I believe...the last leg of the first of many jaunts.

Home sweet home! What a downer! :disapint: I'd rather be on the road! You are so right Hitcher!!

Well there was no beer to found so I am still completely sober and thought I best get this down before I forget all the highlights. This was the final leg of my adventure, which was from Murupara to Wellington.

The biggest highlight was that the Gods once again smiled upon me and there was no rain! A few spots but nothing to even really call rain! That Celtic blessing that Celticno6 sent me must have worked a treat.

I left Murupara around 8am with grey skies but not as windy as the previous day. I took a short cut from Murupara to Taupo that I had driven in a car a few times, along Gouldies Road, off SHW 38. There is a little bit of it is gravel but mostly sealed so no worries. I've never actually driven the main route so I'm not sure how much time (if any) it actually cuts off. A few windey bits but no hassels & not a lot of traffic either.

I arrived in Taupo just after 9am and stopped for a coffee & warm up as it was colder than it had been before, fuelled up as well and carried on my merry way. All pretty uneventful really, again not a lot of traffic apart from getting stuck behind a big truck just after Hallets Bay on the lake front, the truck driver actually stopped on a couple of the really sharp bends, I didn't manage to pass him until just before Turangi and then I stopped for another short break before heading onto the Desert Road. It was pretty slow on there b/c of the road works mainly and it got a little windy in places, I was behind a truck on most of the really sharp turns so had no choice but to go slooooow.

I must say that as a novice rider it was good for me to ride a long distance when it's (a little bit) colder - it made me realise that when I do long roads trips in the winter I'll need lots more layers! Yes! There will be more roads trips!! I wasn't too cold today though.

Through to Taihape for lunch (at that posh place again ) and a bit of an extended rest. Left there at around 12.40pm after more fuel. Off again! I guess b/c of all the stormy weather that is why there was virtually no traffic on the roads apart from trucks - what a pity! NOT!! HA! A few trucks to pass and a car, actually later on the car passed me again and blasted off up the HW at a great rate of knots - go figure?? From Taihape onwards I could see some evidence of the flooding - a few slips, toppled over trees, low lying areas that had obviously been flooded, looked like there were a few abandonned vehicles as well.

Straight through Bulls this time without stopping and onto Levin. I had actually thought that I would have to go via Palmerston North but SHW 1 was open.

After the turn off at Sanson it was the windiest it had been on my journey so far. I was getting blown around a little bit & had to keep bracing myself when trucks passed going in the opposite direction. It lasted like that until around Foxton, after that it was still blowy but just not as constant. Just after Foxton there is that quite long bridge, the river running under it was really high, really swift & muddy brown, the width of the river was the length of the bridge. Wow! Scarey stuff!

Finally arrived in Levin feeling a bit battered but excited that I had made it that far!! Stopped for an O.J & a savoury & to rest my butt which had been aching a little by this point Fuelled up again & headed out of Levin on my final stretch at around 2.45pm. One of the customers at the Service Station in Levin asked about my jacket & if it was water proof - yes it is I replied but I haven't struck any rain! He & the guy behind the counter were amazed! In fact I even saw blue skies & sunshine just out of Taihape!

The last leg of the journey unfortunately was well blighted with traffic! Bummer! In fact a guy in a sheep truck, with 2 full trailers, decided at Paekakariki that it would be a great idea to pull out from the BP on the LHS across the road into the North bound lane in front of a line of traffic that included me! I was 2nd in line and the driver in front was (thankfully) travelling slow so we were able to stop completely to allow this arsehole to get into the traffic!! Twist Trucking will be getting a phone call from moi! Apart from that the traffic was great.

The absoulte worst part of my whole ride was getting from town (after coming off the MW) to my place in Newtown! There was so much traffic! Arrrrgggghhh! I wanted to turn around & head back out on the Highway!!

The only other odd thing I struck was other riders not waving Ching Ching and I struck it on our ride up too. I would say that I passed (going North) maybe 40 riders and around 4 of them waved back, What's with that? Oh well who cares - I don't want to start a debate.

So a HUGELY successful ride for me, that has ensure I will forever be addicted to riding bikes!!

Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me & offered me some good advice.

Maybe one day I can shout you all a beer...just not all at once ok!
    Last edited by Ms Piggy; 19th February 2004 at 08:20. Reason: typos

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by ching_ching
    You Celtic,

I'm chillin' listening to rockin' islander music, moving my ass in my seat to the beat. Am glad you made it back to headquarters.

If ever you need the company through this part of the wilderness again just lettuce know.

Two thumbs up girl:

ching_ching
    Well I'm listening to a few Celtic tunes myself & relaxing my bones.

Right back at ya Chingsta - if you ever cruise down to Wellywood look me up matey!

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by mangell6
    ten hours from one post to the next, not bad Celtic_Sea_lily most people wait until the following day. When is your next trip??

Now that you have acheived a short jaunt, interested in a decent ride in October???

Mike
    Next trip...not sure b/c I start back at Uni on Monday. So funds & free time will be at a premium

Do tell me more about October though!

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog
    True that My first epic did not end so well
    Wot happened? You can PM the story of it's a repeat.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Good to hear you're back safe and sound Celtic!! You've done well. And I'm pleased you're addicted!

Thread Information