Thread: Mold for fiberglass fairings

Bike
    Suzuki DR650

Mold for fiberglass fairings

I have the TZR 250 with some pretty old fairings. Some of it is cracking and breaking off on its own. I would like to make my own new fairing with different desgines.

there is just the one problem. What do you guys reckon I should make the mold out off? I have had a look at some other forums on the net but most of them talk about using the original fairings as the mold for the easy way out. Since I would like better aerodynamics and looks, I need to go with my own desgines. Any thoughts guys?

P.S. I am also thinking of useing carbon fiber sheets for support from the inside (good idea/bad idea?).

Bike
    1989 Kawasaki ZXR250
    I thought about doing that, but the biggest problem seemed to me to be symmetry between the left and right.

From brief readings of books on fibreglassing, I understand that the thing to do is build/carve a wooden (mdf/ply) model of what you want, glass it to make a negative mold, and use this to get the finished product. All rather convoluted, costly and difficult really.

Good Luck.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    hmmm thanx for the input. Will let you know on this thread how I get on with.

Bike
    98 HondaRS125
    That is a massive amount of work. Chances are your going to try to make it look like something that is already out there- so if you can figure out what look your going for, then just buy the race fairing for that bike and modify it to suit.

Awesome place to buy fairings is Racers edge in australia-quite cheap,very thin/light and nicely finished.we brought three sets this season and they slipped straight on-no mods.
    Luv it!

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    After seeing SPman's Avatar, I really want to make some cool as farings now. I have just had an idea about using clay to construct the shape I want then I'll make the fiberglass mold from that then I'll create the fairngs from the mold.

Does anyone have any sculpting experience with clay? Desgine people or Artists maybe on the site? Where I can find the proper clay that I need etc. Thanx in advance.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Jeez - what a hassle. Save yourself some time and money unless you're dead keen.

This guy has TZR fairings for sale:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/l...on-9201146.htm
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Thanx but I am not doing the side fairings. They are ok as is. Just the front and tail fairings are butt ugly I reckon. But maybe I should just sell the bike and get a newer bike. Hmmmmm, I'll research on clay a bit further first.

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Have a look thru http://www.justfairings.co.nz and see which ones suit your fancy. Its would be way easier to fit another bikes fairing than to try create one from scratch with no experience. Also with race bikes you have a lot more flexibility and its no worries to grind off brackets/mounts and make up your own "lightweight" ones.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Yea, I know eh. I was just looking through that site before. The Honda and Aprilia RS fairings are cool as. But I am not sure what to do now. I might just save up some money, sell the TZR and get an early 90s NSR cause the 87 TZR is going to need a hell of a lot of work to make it look, feel and go like a mordern'ish 2 stroke race rep.

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    Use polystrene to make your mould in the same way you would if useing ply.
    You can buy it in sheets of any size or thickness you want.Once you have mounted it up you can use an electric knife to shape it and finish with an orbital sander.After you have set your glass you can just wash the poly' out with a solvent.Wear breathing filters as you will produce some evil fumes.
    By the time you have ruined your first one you will be an expert.
    Cheers.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    I had actually thought of this. Doesn't the glassing chemicals melt the polystrene? If I could use polystrene, I think it would be quite a realistic project. I was thinking of applying vasaline or grease on top of the polystrene before glassing it up. Anyway, I'll see which way I go and if I do end up starting on this project, I'll definetly do a write up on this thread with pics and everything.

Thanx for the responces guys.

Thread Information