Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: A pain in the wrist

  1. #1
    Join Date
    5th August 2005 - 14:30
    Bike
    Various
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,359

    A pain in the wrist

    We often see posts about wrist pain posted here.

    This problem should not be ignored. It often points to a bigger potential problem.

    There are a few reasons why wrists may be sore and a few cures.

    One of the reasons is the position of the clutch and the brake levers. On most bikes you can loosen a couple of nuts or bolts and twist the levers up or down relative to the bars. The ideal position will usually be such that when the hand is extended and resting on the top of the lever the fore arm and fingers are in a straight line. This is obviously a personal setting as riders are different heights and have different preferences.

    Adjusting the levers like this also allows for a quick and easy reach for the break as the lever is in the natural position when the throttle is rolled off.

    Another cause of sore wrists may be the tension with which you are holding the bars either because you are leaned over (say as on a sprot bike) or because you are tense, or both.

    If it is because you are leaned over, use you knees and lower back to take the weight off of the bars. If you practice this it becomes second nature. You can and should do this even under heavy breaking (may help save the crown jewels too)

    What ever the reason you must learn to loosen your grip on the bars. There are several reasons for this.

    Dexterity is reduced, you may know the inputs to make but it is damn hard to make them if you are tense. Getting on the throttle gently for instance is very difficult, but often necessary whilst cornering.

    Stearing inputs are more difficult when you are tense as one arm fights the other. The net effect will be to make you run wide when cornering.

    The bike will transfer any bumps or potholes etc through the bars to you instead of just absorbing them thus making you more fatigued.

    If you are holding on tight the problems you are causing for yourself will only make you hold on tighter setting you up for more problems.

    Just relax, or else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    7th January 2005 - 09:47
    Bike
    .
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,100
    Sore wrists are an ongoing problem for some KBers, their motorcycle however is not to blame.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    28th September 2004 - 12:00
    Bike
    XR600
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,163
    nice work ill be trying some techniques, as i sometimes have problems with long rides mainly.
    also effecting work. RSI but i aint telling work that.
    Lost in USA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    28th September 2004 - 12:00
    Bike
    XR600
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpackback
    Sore wrists are an ongoing problem for some KBers, their motorcycle however is not to blame.
    and i need glasses too.
    Lost in USA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    15th November 2004 - 12:53
    Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago
    Location
    North Island
    Posts
    4,712

    Cool

    What a great thread CaN....

    Some m/bike riders may also have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (rsi)...
    Which can cause pain or numbness in their fingers and wrist....
    So that should maybe also be taken into account.

    I have had the operation on my right hand and can say that it worked great for me.
    I was only able to ride 10kms before my hand went numb... which isn't great when riding a bike. It was caused by the vibrations of the throttle.

    Here is some info for those who have CTS:

    Get your Dr to send you to the hospital for tests.
    The waiting time to get that test is a couple of months.
    You will get the results straight away...
    Then you will go on the waiting list to have the op... that list isnt too long... as they are trying to get all those with it back up and at work again real quick. You will only be off the bike for 6 weeks.

    In the meantime........
    Put HOT water in the sink.... as hot as you can bear it.
    Then stretch your fingers out to full stretch.. hold for a few seconds and then close into a fist... do that a few times.. and it will help.
    I had "Hand therapy" physio after my op.... and they put my hand in special hot wax.... and man did that help.
    They told me to place my hand in HOT water in the sink at home as well.
    It is a relief but not a cure.
    If you are at the comp, get a bucket with HOT water in it.. and type with one hand/finger.
    Soak your hand in hot water doing the exercises as often as you like during the day even just before going to bed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    7th January 2005 - 09:47
    Bike
    .
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by crashe
    What a great thread CaN....

    Some m/bike riders may also have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (rsi)...
    Which can cause pain or numbness in their fingers and wrist....
    So that should maybe also be taken into account.

    I have had the operation on my right hand and can say that it worked great for me.
    I was only able to ride 10kms before my hand went numb... which isn't great when riding a bike. It was caused by the vibrations of the throttle.

    Here is some info for those who have CTS:

    Get your Dr to send you to the hospital for tests.
    The waiting time to get that test is a couple of months.
    You will get the results straight away...
    Then you will go on the waiting list to have the op... that list isnt too long... as they are trying to get all those with it back up and at work again real quick. You will only be off the bike for 6 weeks.

    In the meantime........
    Put HOT water in the sink.... as hot as you can bear it.
    Then stretch your fingers out to full stretch.. hold for a few seconds and then close into a fist... do that a few times.. and it will help.
    I had "Hand therapy" physio after my op.... and they put my hand in special hot wax.... and man did that help.
    They told me to place my hand in HOT water in the sink at home as well.
    It is a relief but not a cure.
    If you are at the comp, get a bucket with HOT water in it.. and type with one hand/finger.
    Soak your hand in hot water doing the exercises as often as you like during the day even just before going to bed.
    Dear Dr Crashe

    Thank you for your excellent advice re: Carpal tunnel syndrome.
    I do however have a question for you regarding Masturbation and the use of hot water in bed: My question would be Dr, that i have to stop and dip my hand into the hot water, this has two negative effects, the bed gets very wet and my boiling hot hand is damaging the sensitive skin on my penis. Could you please regale us with your experiences re: masturbation whilst having RSI.

    Regards
    ANON

  7. #7
    Join Date
    4th January 2005 - 13:30
    Bike
    1999 Honda CBR 600 FX
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    193
    What about when the pain in the wrist is due to OLD AGE.

    There, I said it.

    If it is gout, tough shit. The alcohol is medicinal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    5th August 2005 - 14:30
    Bike
    Various
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,359
    Look Sorry SPB, I tried to give you rep for this, but apparently I have to spread it around first.

    Your eloquence is unparalleled sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    1st July 2004 - 11:19
    Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Location
    a medicated stupor
    Posts
    1,334
    As well as very heavy clutch levers, I think some people grip too strongly on the bars and the vibrations jar the wrists. (ever used one of those car polishers or floor polishers?)

    I found that was my problem, because my brakes and clutch are set up lightly. Some of the HD riders won't get the problem because their handlebars can have suspension in them (I'm not kidding, go push the bars on a softtail up and down)

    ever seen that keith codes video where a sports bike is held in a turn by two fingers? Loosely relaxed is better for the wrists.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    1st July 2004 - 11:19
    Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Location
    a medicated stupor
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpackback
    Dear Dr Crashe

    Thank you for your excellent advice re: Carpal tunnel syndrome.
    I do however have a question for you regarding Masturbation and the use of hot water in bed: My question would be Dr, that i have to stop and dip my hand into the hot water, this has two negative effects, the bed gets very wet and my boiling hot hand is damaging the sensitive skin on my penis. Could you please regale us with your experiences re: masturbation whilst having RSI.

    Regards
    ANON
    Use antiflamme
    That will wake you up if you touch your penis afterwards

  11. #11
    Join Date
    5th August 2005 - 14:30
    Bike
    Various
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,359
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpackback
    Dear Dr Crashe

    Thank you for your excellent advice re: Carpal tunnel syndrome.
    I do however have a question for you regarding Masturbation and the use of hot water in bed: My question would be Dr, that i have to stop and dip my hand into the hot water, this has two negative effects, the bed gets very wet and my boiling hot hand is damaging the sensitive skin on my penis. Could you please regale us with your experiences re: masturbation whilst having RSI.

    Regards
    ANON
    I was so concerned about your plight I did a bit of research and found the following information which may be helpful to relieve your pain.

    Good luck, be sure and let us know how you get on wont you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    20th August 2003 - 10:00
    Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Location
    Costa del Nord
    Posts
    6,553
    Or you could buy bikes with proper riding positions.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    31st March 2003 - 13:09
    Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Location
    Koomeeeooo
    Posts
    5,560
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpackback
    Sore wrists are an ongoing problem for some KBers, their motorcycle however is not to blame.
    I noticed that... you got any tips for me?
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

  14. #14
    Join Date
    7th January 2005 - 09:47
    Bike
    .
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN
    I was so concerned about your plight I did a bit of research and found the following information which may be helpful to relieve your pain.

    Good luck, be sure and let us know how you get on wont you.
    Ahh the ever thought full CaN. I took your advice concerning 'The Stranger', effective at releasing sexual tension whilst both reducing RSI pain and giving the effect of someone else doing the hard work for me. I have a few concerns regarding this procedure
    1, The stranger had a mans hand, I found this a little disturbing
    2, Adminstrating The shocker with cheese to my partner whilst simultanously performing The Stranger required extreme levels of dexteriety.
    3, Your concern for my Penis is appreciated. I find it somewhat erotic and worrying at the same time, let me assure you CaN I spend many hours a day considering when I may next get a performance from it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    7th January 2005 - 09:47
    Bike
    .
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder
    I noticed that... you got any tips for me?
    Certainly MDU, combine the effects of 'The Stranger' with swapping hands on the 40th stroke. Long strokes may help, as does limiting the amount of wrap, thees factors however may already be predetermined for you and you may have no choice but to hang on tightly and pump like hell. Lastly deep heat can be applied as a soothing relief, remember this is NOT a lubricant and must be used Post masturbation, most importantly this product goes on your wrist, under no circumstances should it be used on your Penis as it will not ease friction burns or give you a cheap thrill.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •