Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building your (my) own electronic speedo

Bike
    None :(

Building your (my) own electronic speedo

Well I've built my own speedo with an LCD read out. It works quite well at the moment - I have a few mods in line for it, but the only bad thing about it at the moment is having to clean IR speed sensor ever few hundred ks or so.

The readout accuracy is +-1km/h, the odo readout increment is 600mm (yes only 0.6 meters!) and tacho readout. It also has a trip meter with the distance, engine running time and the number of revolutions the engine has done on the trip!

Some of guys have expressed interest in making one for them selves so I'm sticking the code and schematics that I used up here.

Heres the schematic: (Big gif)
    http://middleparkmadness.homeip.net/...speedo_sch.gif

Righty, the assembler code is now available. Heres the zip file:
    http://middleparkmadness.homeip.net/speedo_code.zip

I used MPLAB to assemble and for programming - you'll still need some hardware in which to connect between your PC and the chip though. You can download MPLAB for free from the Microchip website: http://microchip.com/stellent/idcplg...&part=SW007002 or if doesn't work just follow your nose from http://www.microchip.com/

The main file to assemble is speedo.asm - this includes all the other ones automatically.

The programming hardware I used was a ICD2 - you can get them from microchip for about $160US or find someone to borrow off.

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Cool dude. Im assuming you used MPLAB for the software? (I use it for my job).
    [edit] woo and Protel
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10

being

being as I am extremely incompetent how much (or are you willing) to build one for my gsx600 to the stage where I can bolt it onto the bike. Would love a digital speedo and wouldnt mind a warning lights at 100k Maybe a small light that is in your corner vision that is on under 100k/hr and turns off over 100k so you can see when you need to make that slight speed adjustment for oncoming police cars. Being as I criuse a little over 100k/hr (to stay out of traffics way) it would be better if the light was off over 100.

Bike
    4K006RXSG
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchMan

Some of guys have expressed interest in making one for them selves so I'm sticking the code and schematics that I used up here.

Heres the schematic: (Big gif)
    http://middleparkmadness.homeip.net/...speedo_sch.gif

I'll be putting the assembler code up soon (once I've tidied it up a little!).
    Mmmm - I think I used to beat up guys like you at school.
    Why not just buy a $30 LCD speedo from a cycle shop and hook that up. Will give you speed / average speed - Odometer - max speed, all to the nearest meter, or so. Takes 2 min to install.
    Because I can...

Bike
    FZ250
    Why do anything yourself?
    Why cook? Why shower?
    Why ride an NC30? You would get there much faster on a litre biker.

What speed do bicycle speedos max out at?
    Bicycles speedo have small displays generally, and no tacho, which FlyingDutchMan's design does.
    This design is also customisable, and I like cowboyz' idea.

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries
    Cool man. Do you do a simple tacho with a lap counter and water temp for racing? You could make a few dolllars if you market the idea.

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries

good job

Cool man. Do you do a simple tacho with a lap counter and water temp for racing? You could make a few dolllars if you market the idea.

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    The trick is going to be putting it into a nice enclosure and making it water-proof.
    Ive thought that making a race-specific box would be the go. Avg/Max speed, data logging (not that much room in your chip), lap-timer using a big easy reach button on the handle bars...possibilties are endless.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    4K006RXSG
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiolos

What speed do bicycle speedos max out at?
    299.9kph, but on my old bike I only ever got it to 272.
    Because I can...

Bike
    In between bikes
    Great idea. This is something that I've thought about too but don't have the technical knowledge and equipment to do it. Therefore, semi and/or fully pre-built units would be great for those of us without the right knowledge and equipment.

What I'd like to see is an adjustable speed limiter warning system. So if I'm in a 50km zone and have it preset to 57km/hr, it'll use a configurable combination of lights and/or buzzers to warn if the current speed exceeds this. A 30 second hush button might be required for over-taking purposes.

Be good if the warning speed can be powered by a volume type control switch and have a LCD digit screen displaying the new warning limit - makes for easy adjustment while on the move.

How small or large will this unit be for mounting on a bike?
    With each bike model being different, how would this system plug into our bikes to gather information?

Would this system also work on a car?
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    I dunno what my speedo maxes out at, but I have managed to make it read 1,450+ km/h (by pointing a TV remote at the receiver). I think it will suit the needs of anyone on wheels.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mattt
    Mmmm - I think I used to beat up guys like you at school.
    Why not just buy a $30 LCD speedo from a cycle shop and hook that up. Will give you speed / average speed - Odometer - max speed, all to the nearest meter, or so. Takes 2 min to install.
    Because I can, and because its far superiour and you can read it day or night no matter the lighting conditions.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Congrats on the build. And I like the diagram mate. Good luck with it.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    i'd buy one (if it wasn't to expensive)
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness
    I'm not quite sure how lap counters work (rider pushes a button or is there an RF signal or what?), but water temp can be done... just have to re-arrange the wiring to free up an Analogue input pin.

Thread Information