Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well that's it then...

Bike
    Formulating negotiation strategy.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Colapop
    Is that why they use "reams" of paper to print tickets on?
    (Double entendre)
    And then they stick the bloody things up our arses. (subtle entendre)

_

Bike
    Vulcan - God of Fire
    Fuck that shit, this world is growing more and more Orwellian by the day. Damned humans getting too smart for their own good. No matter, us techie types will soon figure out ways to circumvent this technology - it's just another challenge.
    Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Obliterate what makes us weak!

Bike
    1999 CBR1100XX Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel
    News Story

How long do you think it will take before it makes it over here? Not long I'll wager.
    I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) is likely to be trialled in NZ in 2006 so thats the first step to the so called National Vehicle Register scenario in the story. I would say if they (the Govt) followed the UK in that respect, maybe 4-5 years away.

BC.

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Bykey Cop
    I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) is likely to be trialled in NZ in 2006 so thats the first step to the so called National Vehicle Register scenario in the story. I would say if they (the Govt) followed the UK in that respect, maybe 4-5 years away.

BC.
    Seriously, what the hell. Can't the people do anything about this?! We have rights dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTFBBQ
    We have rights dammit!

thats the funniest thing ive heard in weeks .. thanks for the laugh...
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by SARGE
    thats the funniest thing ive heard in weeks .. thanks for the laugh...
    Yeah, I thought as much. Well, we're SUPPOSED to have rights.

But yeah, doesn't there need to be some politititiicician vote or something for this? And they wouldn't bother putting them cameras around the backroads, would they?

Bike
    none
    Cameras on the back roads, they had better have someone watching the actuall camera box 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Otherwise peaple will just go and cut them down.

As for the GPS in the plate, as Slash said, wont be long before techs figure out a way around them. Or peaple will just steal plates off other vehicles.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander
    Cameras on the back roads, they had better have someone watching the actuall camera box 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Otherwise peaple will just go and cut them down.

As for the GPS in the plate, as Slash said, wont be long before techs figure out a way around them. Or peaple will just steal plates off other vehicles.
    ...Or people will go ghostridering.

"A high powered Suzuki racebike emerges from a lockup in Upper Hutt..."

Bike
    1997 Suzuki TL1000 S, 1999 Ducati 996S ?
    What I liked was the link to the story of the Swiss driver and the gatso at the bottom of the article.

Choice!
    If it ain't a V twin, it ain't worth shit.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTFBBQ
    Yeah, I thought as much. Well, we're SUPPOSED to have rights.

But yeah, doesn't there need to be some politititiicician vote or something for this? And they wouldn't bother putting them cameras around the backroads, would they?

Well the political argument will be the same as it has been in the uk for ages, and that's that;

A. They're for saftey - THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!
    and
    B. If you're not doing anything illegal then you've nothing to worry about - classic

Lets look at it this way... why should the polititians give a shit... Helen Clark was speeding to get to a rugby game, but because she wasn't driving she wasn't the one who got the ticket.

Bike
    '98 Yamaha YZF 600 ThunderCat
    Seems daft when the percentage of unregistered/uninsured cars on the road must be quite small. It also seems that those who persist in this don't bother paying their fines so fat lot of use that would be.

Interestingly when I lived in London (2000-2004) they introduced the congestion charge (you drive into central London you have to pay 5 quid). This was enforced with cameras taking picks of your number plate then cross-referencing it against the payment database. Several problems arose where people were getting fines for not paying when they lived 500 miles out of London and had never visited the place (car identity theft).

Bike
    07 CBR1000RR
    Screw this. We all get on our bikes when this comes in and hoon it. See how many thousand of dollars we gather up and find a paper shredder for the bills, even better send the bills to the person who gave the go ahead for the system
    If everyone kept on doing over the speed limit and got fines eventually there would be no one on the roads due to them loosing there licenses. Put up your hand up if you have never gone over the speed limit. Err no one will be able to put there hands up. Even the 80 year olds and Asians will meet grief with this.

Seriously I cannot see this coming in. All hell will break loose and I don’t think any government will what to "loose votes" for this system, also not to mention how much this system will cost. I could see maintenance costs being a high issue as people trying to fool it and break sensors etc.
    The typical computer tech - Smashing things fixes things for good

Bike
    07 CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb
    Seems daft when the percentage of unregistered/uninsured cars on the road must be quite small. It also seems that those who persist in this don't bother paying their fines so fat lot of use that would be.

Interestingly when I lived in London (2000-2004) they introduced the congestion charge (you drive into central London you have to pay 5 quid). This was enforced with cameras taking picks of your number plate then cross-referencing it against the payment database. Several problems arose where people were getting fines for not paying when they lived 500 miles out of London and had never visited the place (car identity theft).

Sounds like a case of the revolving number plate i.e. in the film transporter 2.
    How about a digital number plate made out of an LCD screen?
    The typical computer tech - Smashing things fixes things for good

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by danb
    Seriously I cannot see this coming in. All hell will break loose and I don’t think any government will what to "loose votes" for this system, also not to mention how much this system will cost. I could see maintenance costs being a high issue as people trying to fool it and break sensors etc.
    If anything like this was to be institued, Kiwis will do what kiwis always do in responce to unpopular govt initiatives:
    Whinge a lot and then bend over and spread 'em.

Thread Information