Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: R E S P E C T

Bike
    None any more

Angry R E S P E C T

The past few months have seen an inordinate amount of "flaming" and personal attacks by some members on others. Disturbingly this trend appears to be growing and driven by a handful of newer members and some senior members who should know better.

What we have here on Kiwibiker is pretty special. Folks from a wide and diverse range of backgrounds, ages, ethnicity, and so on; united by a common love and passion for motorcycling. The contribution many make to other members outside what gets posted here in terms of advice, experience and encouragement is spectacular. We have some "pearls beyond price" in our midst.

Sadly the recent change in mood on this side is driving some of these pearls away. They are tiring of the amount of shite that gets posted. But even worse, they don't appreciate the personal abuse that gets hurled their way by a wunch of bankers who don't know any better.

There is only so much that the Moderators can do to maintain "order". It's not our role to curb free and frank expression of opinion. And it's hard to draw a line when the bounds of good taste and common courtesy are exceeded, other than to PM the offenders and telling them to pull their heads in. Sin binning is only ever rarely used as a matter of last resort. Sadly this sometimes results in Moderators being personally abused.

This is our gargre. It's OK at times to "disrespect" and disagree with each other. But within the bounds of what should be common sense and in good humour. I dish shit out at times, and expect to get it back in boatloads, and do. What I get back is nearly always in good fun and taken as such.

Also there is a lot of shit-throwing that goes on here that is "off the radar" of public forums -- PMs and comments made when rep is awarded. Some of the stuff I've become aware of in this private space is disgustingly offensive to the point of being legally actionable.

Some members on this site need to get over themselves and demonstrate a bit more of the R E S P E C T proclaimed by Aretha Franklin.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    well said Mr Hitcher.
    I've also noticed the lack of 'bike related' topics, which I'm sure I've probably not helped. May be with everyone getting out into the summer sun, our spirits will be lifted, and life will improve as we know it.

Bike
    Honda Magna 750 - go Black Betty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    The past few months ... R E S P E C T proclaimed by Aretha Franklin.

AMEN...
    I've finished okay...there are no last words of wisdom...it's time to pull your pants up and go home!

Bike
    Well said sir.
    It seems there are becoming more often threads where I see the posters name and think "there's no point in reading that". Biking and fun is what it's about.
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    I agree 100%.

IMO a good rule of thumb is "don't say it if you wouldn't say the same thing in a face-to face situation".
    Kerry

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Hitcher has been very polite.

My initial reaction to some events of the last few days would have been somewhat more stentorian.

You people are VERY lucky that you have SpankMe running this place. He is a much more liberal individual than me.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Well said Hitcher
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    well said Mr Hitcher.
    I've also noticed the lack of 'bike related' topics, which I'm sure I've probably not helped.
    Indeed.
    I know that no-one gives a crap, but this week I've been very tempted to leave KB, as it has become pretty puerile compared to other forums I'm on.
    That's sad, because I used to view this as my Interdweeb 'home", because (a) it was relevant, (b) I liked the personalities on here, and (c) there was more variety than on other sites.
    It's also sad that serious attempts to review things or pass on hard-won experience or useful information are ignored, unless 'wrapped' in a sensational or titillating title, or dressed up with sex or smut.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Walking
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    ... I dish shit out at times, and expect to get it back in boatloads, and do. What I get back is nearly always in good fun and taken as such. ...
    And here I was thinking I was on your 'BLOCKED' list.

Now, where did I put that list of 'The Thing' comments I never got round to using???

Bike
    2004 GSXR600 / 1989 K75 BMW
    Here Here!!! Bring back the good 'ol days when this site was about bikes not personality competitions
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    Goose
    Although I will be the first to admit that I post alot of "drivel" myself I am very saddened to find out that one of my most favourite KBers have given up on this site because of the forementioned reasons....
    I myself am going to think long and hard before I post or start threads myself. We really cant afford to be losing well respected members that will and have given up their own time and $$ and energy to help out US fellow bikers. Surely if things continue in this manner then the whole spirit of what KB was and is supposed to have been about will be destroyed and therefore pointless.
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

I agree with Hitcher.

One thing that has been raised again with me today is the term “freedom of speech” and yes indeed this is something that is very important and one of things that makes KB great, as we can all voice how we feel about things and talk freely. However with freedom of speech comes responsibility for your own actions.

Like Hitcher says, a little respect goes a long way. If you feel yourself getting offended, step one: think first, step two: act

Bike
    R6 & RGV250
    Well said Hitcher. We've lost so many senior members of KB who's wit and inspiring comments made this such a fabulous site. I find very few threads these days that are worth looking at, let alone replying to. There are so many people who no longer contribute, and I miss them.
    Checkout my blog: www.wubboodesigns.com

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Thanks Hitcher -You said it all.
    I'm one ot those members totally sick of the rubbish being thrown around.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    k6 750 :)
    Word up Hitcher...
    altho' it was a piss-take, i enjoyed reading about people's mods & opinions & suggestions about RFs...cos it was about BIKES and riding 'EM!
    need more of the same..maybe even about other bikes

Thread Information