Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: waterproofing "waterproof" pants?

Bike
    Ducati 400ss
    Could it be that you're just sweating heaps?

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Go to a hunting/outdoor store like Doyles. Buy a soap free detergent first to fully wash the pants without taking any of the remianing waterproof out.

Then - buy a good hunting waterproof like Gecko and follow the instructions. Worked on all my jackets and pants for the bike.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Seriously, if they're guaranteed 100% waterproof take them back. Lou
    Yeah that's what I was gonna say too. If they are sold as 100% waterproof and aren't I would take them back in a heart beat! Not much point in having to shell out more money to make them water proof if they aint!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    I think if I'd bought the pants recently, and found out they weren't waterproof, I'd take them back. But I've had them for at least 3 months already. I got them before my licence, after I got my licence I borrowed my brother's bike occasionally, but never really rode in the rain, and then I got my own bike a month ago, but it's been having engine problems (sorted now, I think), so I haven't been able to ride it much at all.
    So I'm trying the waterproofing stuff. I bought a bottle of Gecko Guard ($26 from Red Baron, it better be good at that price!) and sprayed my pants and jacket, they're drying in the garage now. Fingers crossed it'll work.

Andrew: Nope, I didn't sweat much on that ride.

Bike
    RF900
    you could always buy the $19 jobs from the warehouse? I have some dry riders and some $19 jobs no problem. If you dont mind looking like a dork in the rain. and actually who cares :eyepoke:
    or wear nothing underneath and take some dry pants to UNI and change in the car park
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by erik
    waterproofing, etc etc, general complaints about Cold Wet Crotch Trickle
    The CWCT is an integral part of motorcycling, OK? Honestly. I dunno, the yoof of today, got no gumption, bit of cold water in the goolies and they go all whiney.

er... anyways, I think you'll find that the problem isn't that the pants aren't waterproof, it's that the water blows up under the jacket and then trickles down inside the trousers. I haven't gotten around to figuring out a good solution for this yet but as some of the others have suggested, the roll-up waterproof overalls work a treat and aren't too pricey for a set.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Yep its been said before on this forum yellow plastic overtrou from Warehouse never leak (until you rip them). Roll up a pair and keep them in your gear bag until needed. I used to use the genuine Skellerup jobs until they finally ripped on my dirt bike footpeg (had them 20 years) but now you can buy the equiv at Warehouse for about $12 and they seem just as thick and tough even though they are made from the highest quality materials available in China.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    Yep its been said before on this forum yellow plastic overtrou from Warehouse never leak (until you rip them). Roll up a pair and keep them in your gear bag until needed. I used to use the genuine Skellerup jobs until they finally ripped on my dirt bike footpeg (had them 20 years) but now you can buy the equiv at Warehouse for about $12 and they seem just as thick and tough even though they are made from the highest quality materials available in China.
    The warehouse ones are great but they do tend to leak in the most unfortunate places after time. But they are cheap at half the price and you can be seen easier in the yellow. If you want something a bit more durable try "SealFlex" by Kaiwaka. You can by them in farmers stores like RD1 or AnchorMart. I used them on the farm and they lasted well untill I decided to get some cows out of the blackberries..... The jacket is still waterproof after two winters on the farm and several years of riding to work. My dream gear would be the Spidi granturismo touring suit But that is half the price of my bike and the Mrs. reckons I dont ride enough to warrent one. I added up the mileage I would have covered in the last 10 years and it was just over 60,000 kms.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Biggest problem with any waterproof clothing is the seams. Esp the case in trousers. No matter how well they make them you will suffer as every time you hop on the bike you will be pulling on the seam in the crotch. If you don't hitch your trou up before you hop on - you can actually get small little tears in the seam and the waterproofing over the seam that will let the water in. The material itself is waterproof however it isn't always where the needle stitched the seam!

Thread Information