Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waterproofing "waterproof" pants?

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S

Unhappy waterproofing "waterproof" pants?

I've got some Fieldsheer pants (this kind), and I just went for about a 20 minute ride in the rain.
    But now that I'm home, I took the fieldsheer pants off, and my trackpants which I was wearing underneath them, look like I've wet myself.
    My brother's had the same problem with some Teknic pants.
    I'm hoping to ride to uni on the bike, and walking around uni with a big wet patch by my crotch isn't going to look good.
    Should I try to get some waterproof overpants for my "waterproof" fieldsheer pants, or is there something else I can do to waterproof them? My dad suggested some spray stuff that you use to waterproof tents, has anyone tried that?

Help!

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by erik
    I've got some Fieldsheer pants (this kind), and I just went for about a 20 minute ride in the rain.
    But now that I'm home, I took the fieldsheer pants off, and my trackpants which I was wearing underneath them, look like I've wet myself.
    My brother's had the same problem with some Teknic pants.
    I'm hoping to ride to uni on the bike, and walking around uni with a big wet patch by my crotch isn't going to look good.
    Should I try to get some waterproof overpants for my "waterproof" fieldsheer pants, or is there something else I can do to waterproof them? My dad suggested some spray stuff that you use to waterproof tents, has anyone tried that?

Help!
    LINE 7,They NEVER leak.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by erik
    My dad suggested some spray stuff that you use to waterproof tents, has anyone tried that?

Help!
    Hi Erick, 3M makes such a product called Scotchgard, Selleys do one called Watershield...try them out?

Is it necessary to wear your pants underneath? Take a bag and change into your pants when you get to your destination.

Zed

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    I was just talking with my brother, and he said that his pants are normally ok, that it was just the time when he was riding my bike that they leaked.
    He's got a zzr250. He thought maybe the lack of fairings on the zeal might make things worse or something.
    Hmmm...
    It doesn't help me much to know that though.

(edit)

neat, suggestions already

Wetting yor pants while riding a bike is nothing to ashamed of,happens all the time - don't try and blame it on leaky pants....we all know how you did it!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2003 BMW F650cs
    Best over pants i ever had was a $50 pair of dririders.

i only jsut lost them 3 horus ago when i was delivering mail on my honda, a bird of some kind flew along the road dead oposite me when he swerved to the right of me he skewered the buton up area on the side. then my kick start wedged in to the the hole and i coudlnt get my knee down to turn so i had to drag my leg out. and RRRRIIIPP snap

I am now sans kicktand since the dririders broke it in to three pieces and my dririders now have the lower front half of the right leg riped to shreads.

btu other than that they are the best, i have never got the soaked crotch problem even in the heaviest of rains, since they grip above yoru waist and down aroudn the base of yoru boot with elastic.

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Wetting yor pants while riding a bike is nothing to ashamed of,happens all the time - don't try and blame it on leaky pants....we all know how you did it!

/me fails to think of a witty retort.

Sorry, I'm not much good at this.

I think I'll give the Scotchguard or Watershield a go, it'd be good if I could get my current pants to be waterproof rather than having something else to store in my locker at uni too. Plus I'm broke right now...

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by kasper
    i coudlnt get my knee down to turn so i had to drag my leg out. and RRRRIIIPP snap
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 2009 Yamaha FZ1-N
    Nothing like Line7 - I use the bib front stops the extra water getting in from the jacket.

And if you are in Wellington you can use them when cruising on the harbour

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    Hey dude, i was doing the whole travelling to uni thing on my bike last year but i would have more fairing and all i wore rain or shine was draggin jeans.

Now if it rained i found it best to get ur pants fully soaked down the front then it looked like they where meant to be like that and you jus leave puddles in lectures where ever you sit.

but sometimes cus of my fairing i was sweet and wouldnt even get slighty wet

best bet is to use the waterproofing stuff, i no some bike shops have gecko something which is a waterproof that you put on pants and stuff.

And remember nothing can actually be 100% waterproof its only a matter of time before it will leak thru and 100km on the motorway in heavy rain wont help
    Those who dont learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Hah! In NZ's monsoon season? No chance.
    Seriously, if they're guaranteed 100% waterproof take them back. If not, get an oversuit for heavy rain.
    Lou

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by wenier
    Now if it rained i found it best to get ur pants fully soaked down the front then it looked like they where meant to be like that and you jus leave puddles in lectures where ever you sit.
    I hope it doesn't come to that.

I took the pants and jacket back to the shop last week because the bit you hold on the zipper on the pants came off, and because one of the domes on a pocket was broken, so I thought I'd get that fixed at the same time. They had to replace the whole zip on the pants (the zip is goes down the side of the leg, so it's not related to the leaking), I only got them back yesterday.
    Red Baron have given me pretty good service, so I don't really want to return the pants. And my brother's pants did the same thing when he rode my bike, and they're a different brand. It does seem like a bit of a scam saying they're 100% waterproof though.

I'll try phoning the shop to see what sort of waterproofer they recommend.

Cheers.

Bike
    None any more
    I'm a great fan of the Columbia packable range -- both jackets and leggings. Go for the breathable ones. These are superb over your leathers if you get caught in the rain and they pack away small enough to disappear under the seat on a ZRX1200R.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    farmquad
    take them back, tell them they're not waterproof. ask them for a replacement pair or a refund or a credit(nicely of course). My experience with wet weather gear is that if it leaks, the replacement probably will too so switch brands. Scotchguard will not help You because the leak is actually in the seam of the waterproof inner liner or the zip so save Your money. I can tell You that those stirrup foot pvc jobbies ARE 100% waterproof. Personally, I'd get a pair of those and a refund on the pants which will help the pocket too. Trust me on this I've been here several times. & JR is right about Line7.

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    I used Scotchguard's heavyduty fabric protector. You can get it at the supermarket, not that expensive. Just make sure you saturate the seams and the seat and do at least three coats in the critical areas. It works really well as I put it on non waterproof pants and they are fine, even in a very heavy downpour, however i do repeat it every year.

If you ride all the time and for longer than an hour at a stretch I''d take them back. If they are called waterproof then they should be. In my experience the only ones that really worked in long downpours were goretex and that is expensive, but if you ride in the wet a lot, it's worth it in the long run. They last for years!
    uno patito dalle motociclette italiane

Thread Information