Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: New or near new helmet

Bike
    2000 BMW F650GS Dakar

WTB: New or near new helmet

Need a new or near new helmet to go with my new bike and new learners license. Hoping to get a cheap one for $100 or less. (My head is 58cm give or take a bit)

Cheeeeeers!

Bike
    1999 Kawasaki ER-5
    Quote Originally Posted by beanz
    Need a new or near new helmet to go with my new bike and new learners license. Hoping to get a cheap one for $100 or less. (My head is 58cm give or take a bit)

Cheeeeeers!
    And your head is only worth $100 or less, I take it

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Try Cash Converters they have lots of cheap unwanted helmets.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    If you want a brand new one, rush to Motomail and see if they still have the Cirus helmets on sale for 100. If not, colemans can do you a good deal on a Cirus or CMS for a bit more than a hundy (still really cheap for a brand new one).

As for a second hand helmet, Most people including me would recommend you to not bother with one if you can avoid it.

Edit: Speaking of which HO-hoon, I am outraged by the rates of Cash Converters. There was a scratched up suommy with the visor missing for almost 200. I know its a Suommy but if its been crashed in, it ain't worth shit!! That was in the New Market shop.

Yeah,I can still get those helmets beanz,but the guys getting a bit pissed off with bringing me a helmet,then me bringing it back.

The prices at Cash Converters seem to have no relation to value of the article,it's the price they pay that denotes the price.All the helmets were priced at about $75 when I saw a Nolan N70 in as new condition,one hell of a price when the others on the shelf I wouldn't even put on my head.They gave me discount for cash,bargin of the year 3 yrs ago.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2000 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Yeah, thanks ho-hoon for the (blunt) advice. Since I wrote the post, I've read likeminded articles, and been convinced.

And thanks motoracer, have got a motoracer catalogue and found the cirus cs-10 for $150. Looks fine to me.

Is there much difference as far as safety goes between the $200 helmets and the $1000 helmets? Or is it the style/features that you're paying for?

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Don't buy it for 150 from Motomail. It'll definetly be cheaper at Colemans than that. If it isn't, ask them to make it cheaper. Motmail is only good during their big sales (there was 50 dollars off that Cirus helmet on the last sale).

BTW, I think Motu had great helmets for sale at a great price. Might pay to ask him more about it.

As for the 1000 dollar helmets, of course they are a bit safer but I think most of the money goes in comfort, style and brand name.

I have got one of thoes $100 Cirus head buckets as well. I find it comfertable enough (mind you I don't care much for comfort), it actually is about 50-100 grams lighter than helmets 5 or 6 times its price and the best thing is that its brand new. If I have a off, I'll just go get me another one. Its cheap enough to be disposable!

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Question - why spend thousands on your bike and only $100 on your helmet?

Stupid if you ask me.....

I know where you can get some $25 tyres as well......and you could just get some polyprop gloves - they will keep your hands warm enuf! That old blue bomber jacket will suit the bike as well.

Sorry - this pisses me off......why buy a bike if you can't afford decent gear?

Harsh response I know - but hey - I know first hand the value of decent gear in an off.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Tell me my helmet looks crap, true... tell me its not the lightest, true... tell me it makes lots of noise at high speeds, true... but tell me its not safe and I will stop wearing it the second I am convinced by a logical answer backed up with facts.

Fact is that if you are willing to compromise with all of above EXCEPT safety, you will find a cheaper helmet that isn't all that flash but still has got the approval of the safety authorities.

Bike
    None any more
    I must be ailing but I am in agreement with WKID! And (to wind up St Zed) if you can't afford decent gear you should buy a scooter!!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    if you can't afford decent gear you should buy a scooter!!

I agree and remember that I am the one who used to wear Alpine star boots and gloves, 1 piece race leather suit, HJC helmet and a back protector when riding around on my 50cc scooter. I say, even if you are on a scooter, wear the proper gear!

but hang on, that wasn't the argument. Who said the Cirus helmets are not safe or not decent? So it doesn't have Aria or Shoie or AGV written across the forehead or has flashy air vents or has race replica graphics or is like putting your head through heavenly clouds, it'll still protect you during a crash! Think about where the money is going when buying a helmet.

Sorry for being a prick and writting lots of posts about this but I am just trying to make my point clear and clear the misunderstandings.

Bike
    None any more
    Cirus is HJC's "budget" helmet. I'm sure that they're not going to take risks where people's heads are involved (And Mrs H wears a Cirus)...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    if its got the AS/NZS approved sticker, its good to go if its new. same sticker goes on CMS, FFM, Arai, Roof, Shark... etc etc... probably much of a muchness given how much you pay for the top end ones but after a while you'll probably decide the added comfort/non-foginess/quietness is worth paying a bit more for. Good luck

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    There is the degree to which it passes the standards also. There is passing just and hell passing. I am sorry - when it comes to your head - NOTHING is good enuf.

IF it costs $100 - fuck all R&D, Materials etc has gone in to it - you get what you pay for.

If it costs peanuts - it was made by monkeys

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    If NOTHING is good enough, nothing more can be said there...

As far as the 100 dollars helmet goes, the full story is that the HJC helmet line up where mass produced as they supplied good quality for cheap which is why they were VERY popular. When the new flash models came in from HJC, the older model HJC helmets which were still good but just became out dated were given the Cirus name and sold dirt cheap for $149.95.

Since Motomail have their anual sale, they decided to make it $99.95 down from $149.95. Hence the 100 dollar head bucket which really is an older model HJC helmet which were selling for about $200 - $300 only a few years back.

Thread Information