Page 51 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting/filtering: the legal and commonsense answers

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Sometimes I get exposed to car drivers deliberately trying to scare/injure me. I can only assume it because other bikers have wound them up sufficiently
    Or they're just petty minded idiots with small egos, jealous of the progress you're making, and a bike is an easy target.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries

Moderator warning

Please keep on topic people. For those indulging in your weird shit foreplay with each other, get a room. The only stuff I've moved to PD has been the personal shit slinging, and at least one of you has had an infraction from me. The topic, for those who are v e r y s l o w or retarded, is filtering and lane splitting and issues arising from these activities; not lovers spats being played out in a public forum.

So Mom, it's back to PD for shits'n'giggles...
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki LS650 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised by some of the attitudes in here.

I was brought up to respect other peoples shit. Thats the way it stays. That seems to be a quality that is sadly missing from many of late.
    And leaving stuff the way you found it! If that gate was closed, it should be closed after you go through it! (Related to lane-splitting on the 'Don't be a dick' maxim)

A couple more noob questions about lane splitting: Do you also undertake/overtake on the outsides of the traffic? Or is that too hard due to left turning traffic being dangerous and barriers on the right? Also, are you able to keep within the lane when you split or do you stradle lanes (I would assume stradle)? Does that make it less legal (the whole overtake without indicating by staying inside the lane markings)?
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane12 View Post
    And leaving stuff the way you found it! If that gate was closed, it should be closed after you go through it! (Related to lane-splitting on the 'Don't be a dick' maxim)

A couple more noob questions about lane splitting: Do you also undertake/overtake on the outsides of the traffic? Or is that too hard due to left turning traffic being dangerous and barriers on the right? Also, are you able to keep within the lane when you split or do you stradle lanes (I would assume stradle)? Does that make it less legal (the whole overtake without indicating by staying inside the lane markings)?
    You're supposed to overtake only on the right. If you transgress over the rh lane marker when overtaking then technically you're overtaking vehicles in the rh lane to their left. In practice you sometimes get squeezed over the line, but if it happens too often you could probably be asking yourself if you're putting yourself at the mercy of those you're passing too much.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    So was I. And I still do.
    No you don't.

If a car driver fucks up and starts changing lanes on me but returns to where they were when they hear my horn I don't sweat it. No harm, no foul. If they keep coming, however, that's a different matter.
    Are you referring to instances when you're splitting at the time or occupying a lane normally?

Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett
    I'm not expecting cars to move over or even claiming a right to a space in "their" lane.
    So you concede that a vehicle occupying a lane in a normal fashion holds a certain "ownership" of that lane, if not in technically so according to your understanding of the law?

Or they're just petty minded idiots with small egos, jealous of the progress you're making, and a bike is an easy target.
    It would be interesting to see just how many of these petty minded idiots with small egos and full of jealousy are actually previous victims of cocksuckers on motorcycles who can't split properly.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    For those indulging in your weird shit foreplay with each other, get a room. The only stuff I've moved to PD has been the personal shit slinging, and at least one of you has had an infraction from me. The topic, for those who are v e r y s l o w or retarded, is filtering and lane splitting and issues arising from these activities; not lovers spats being played out in a public forum.
    I think the moderation of this thread so far has been excellent. Is Gremlin on holiday?

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post

I think the moderation of this thread so far has been excellent. Is Gremlin on holiday?
    You're welcome.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Zooks 85 GS1100G and 84 GSX1100E
    Forget the wing mirrors. If you follow me I clear them all out of the way for you pussies so you don't have to worry your little heads about them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biggest_motorcycle.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	279135
    Political correctness: a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Bike
    Mine
    No you don't.
    You're not qualified to judge that. You don't know me well enough. The interweb is a very poor medium for getting to know someone.

Are you referring to instances when you're splitting at the time or occupying a lane normally?
    When occupying a lane normally. If it happens while splitting the I misjudged the split.

So you concede that a vehicle occupying a lane in a normal fashion holds a certain "ownership" of that lane, if not in technically so according to your understanding of the law?
    A car driver has the right to plant themselves anywhere in the lane as long as it's not being shared at the time. So, in essence, yes.

It would be interesting to see just how many of these petty minded idiots with small egos and full of jealousy are actually previous victims of cocksuckers on motorcycles who can't split properly.
    Indeed. I suspect you may find that a fair number of them are. However, any resonable person doesn't tar a whole group based on the actions of a few.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    TF125
    You're not qualified to judge that. You don't know me well enough. The interweb is a very poor medium for getting to know someone.
    This...
    Hardly a high price on their part. I don't think they even noticed (although I can't be sure of this).
    So you're happy to collide with the vehicles of others on the basis that in your opinion the physical damage is insignificant (although you can't be sure of this) yet you still think you respect other peoples shit?

Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett
    Indeed. I suspect you may find that a fair number of them are. However, any resonable person doesn't tar a whole group based on the actions of a few.
    Pot, meet Kettle.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    However, any resonable person doesn't tar a whole group based on the actions of a few.
    However wrong it may be to do so, it happens.

The fact that it shouldn't is no comfort to the motorcyclist who ends up paying the price for another motorcyclist's ignorance.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane12 View Post
    You're not allowed to overtake on the left (undertake) unless the traffic is stopped, or in the process of turning right. The only other exception is on a multi laned road and you actually use a lane to pass someone on the left.
    Apart from being illegal, passing on the left is just dumb due to the issues you mention.
    Always go around the right where possible. Yes try and stay on the right of the vehicle that you're overtaking, you should also be indicating that you're overtaking. Sometimes it's just not possible without crossing over the lane line - this could always be interpreted by the cops as undertaking (if there's another car on your right) or an unsafe passing manouvre.
    Just beware that different cops can interpret differently.

Basically, try and overtake on the right. Stay calm, keep your course as straight and predictable as possible (dont weave all over the place) and do it at a fair and reasonable speed so that you remain easily visible to other road users and you dont "come out of nowhere". Dont get me started on the impossibilities of that, but if you're going too fast the chance of getting cleaned up by someone who didn't see you increases rapidly.

Bike
    Kwaka
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You're not allowed to overtake on the left (undertake) unless the traffic is stopped, or in the process of turning right. The only other exception is on a multi laned road and you actually use a lane to pass someone on the left.
    Apart from being illegal, passing on the left is just dumb due to the issues you mention.
    Always go around the right where possible. Yes try and stay on the right of the vehicle that you're overtaking, you should also be indicating that you're overtaking. Sometimes it's just not possible without crossing over the lane line - this could always be interpreted by the cops as undertaking (if there's another car on your right) or an unsafe passing manouvre.
    Just beware that different cops can interpret differently.

Basically, try and overtake on the right. Stay calm, keep your course as straight and predictable as possible (dont weave all over the place) and do it at a fair and reasonable speed so that you remain easily visible to other road users and you dont "come out of nowhere". Dont get me started on the impossibilities of that, but if you're going too fast the chance of getting cleaned up by someone who didn't see you increases rapidly.
    Appreciate what you're trying to say. IMHO, do what you need to - left/right. You pays your money and you takes your chances. My golden rule is not to do do anything that I think will upset people. It's often safer to pass on the left and "safety" is paramount.

Then again, some people just have bad days and will try and upset you. On Tuesday I had a classic situation. Guy going slow in right lane, sees me accelerate to undertake, speeds up to cut me off. It was an epic duel between GN and Corolla... He followed me for 2 kms making that flicking gesture under the chin. I made the universal "chillax" sign. The great thing about bikes is you can just flow on while cagers get stuck.

We aren't restricted like they are but it pisses some of them off, as they think we should wait in line like everyone else. I can understand that, but it's just an education gap for them. And, as long as the majority of people don't hop onto a motorcycle, this is a knowledge gap that will NEVER be closed.

What I really like is when cars move over to make room for you to split. They deserve a double thumbs up.
    "This is not a car."

Bike
    Mine
    So you're happy to collide with the vehicles of others on the basis that in your opinion the physical damage is insignificant (although you can't be sure of this) yet you still think you respect other peoples shit?
    As a pedestrian "splitting" between two parked cars to cross the road I may sometimes stumble and put a hand on one or other car. Are you suggesting that this warrants a note on the windscreen?

Your use of the word "collide", while technically correct, also puts this whole discussion in the wrong context. If I collided with another vehicle I would ceratinly go out of my way to speak with the owner of that vehicle and make whatever apologies and recompense is necessary to rectify any damage. Simply clipping a mirror in a way that leaves no physical evidence is quite different.

Pot, meet Kettle.
    I think you'll have to explain ths one in a bit more detail. I can't see the reference.

However wrong it may be to do so, it happens.

The fact that it shouldn't is no comfort to the motorcyclist who ends up paying the price for another motorcyclist's ignorance.
    Agreed. But, even so, you can't put the blame for later actions of the driver on the previous mirror-clipping motorcyclists.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I'm pretty sure you get 7 years bad luck for breaking a mirror don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I'm pretty sure you get 7 years bad luck for breaking a mirror don't you?
    The car or the bike?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information