Page 7 of 102 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting/filtering: the legal and commonsense answers

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lb99 View Post
    to drag off the first cage in line when the lights change?

I don't, it feels a bit bad mannered like pushing in to the line at the bank, I will sit in their mirror and merge behind them as they move off.
    Until you meet Mr Psycho Driver who runs you into the kerb (it happened) get away quick and build a good safety cushion from the car behind.
    I was filtering down the Grafton on-ramp on Tuesday and wondered why the bike ahead was stopped in the traffic, 10 metres further on I saw the reason - Bike Plod. So, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I carried on past him. Plod couldn't have cared less. I guess he thought it was a bigger crime to sit in traffic on a bike.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    1976 Goldwing GL1000; 1989 Yamaha XT600
    Quote Originally Posted by lb99 View Post
    Oh, by the way, the other day I made the 11km commute in 9min ?sec, can you guys up north do that?
    Not a problem in Hamilton

We think there is a traffic jam if you have to wait 1 minute...
    If you can't be good, be good at it

Bike
    2004 suzuki GN250
    i have just read this entire thread and yes it has helped alot. ive been riding for 2 years now and after driving a car for 9 years i find it hard to judge that gap between cars for lane-splitting. have been practising though and find it better every time. i prefer to travel like a car unless its heavy traffic. like was said earlier - why have a bike otherwise.

Bike
    BLANK
    My views on splitting.
    As a noob i approached Riffer as a mentor to lead me through for a couple of runs into Wellington. Was my first time ever lane-splitting and those three morning runs in peak hr traffic did wonders for my confidence. The next few days by myself i was quite comfortable to split through. As Riffer advised me - always cover the front brake and always have an escape route.
    After a month or so of splitting i have found that i cna read the traffic alot better, simple things like checking for gaps ahead of high sided vehicles as cages like to jump into the gaps willy nilly. Searching as far ahead as possible, checking mirrors for other bikes coming through and taking care when passing other bikes incase they decide to just come out to split.
    Also having a good look at what cars are at the front of the queue, boy racers etc then i dont filter to the front, also if cops at the front i dont like the thought of sitting beside their windows. Did make the mistake of pulling in front of a boy racer on Wednesday just gone, he took exception to it and fair revved the shit out of his car behind me on takeoff, i went for gold and left him behind for a while then when he caught up he was in the fast lane doing about 130km/h whilst i cruised at 109km/h - but he hadnt seen the cop over on the left with lights flashing - obviously he still had the red mist in his eyes from the traffic lights, i laughed my head off as his car dived under braking.

So by all means do it if youre comfortable doing it but make sure you do it safely and expect the unexpected

Bike
    Aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by bull View Post
    Did make the mistake of pulling in front of a boy racer on Wednesday just gone, he took exception to it and fair revved the shit out of his car behind me on takeoff, i went for gold and left him behind for a while then when he caught up he was in the fast lane doing about 130km/h whilst i cruised at 109km/h - but he hadnt seen the cop over on the left with lights flashing - obviously he still had the red mist in his eyes from the traffic lights, i laughed my head off as his car dived under braking.

So by all means do it if youre comfortable doing it but make sure you do it safely and expect the unexpected
    LOL Great set up.

You did well not to go past the boy racer and do this.... or this or perhaps this or even this .

Bike
    dont have one "YET"
    Just on my way to work driving my car thru hillsborough traffic was slowing i was doing about 30kph a bike on the left hand side just blasted past. it does give you a fright weather i'm on the motoway or road if i see a biker i give them as much room as possible as i genrally look out for them

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
    Just on my way to work driving my car thru hillsborough traffic was slowing i was doing about 30kph a bike on the left hand side just blasted past. it does give you a fright weather i'm on the motoway or road if i see a biker i give them as much room as possible as i genrally look out for them
    There's y' problem. Ride y' bike to work. Sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2007 V Rod
    Been splitting every day for two years. Just take a deep breath relax and scan the traffic ahead. and for christ sake keep an eye out for the wankers who close the gap just to try and cut you off. Mind you there are a few bikers out there with a death wish Splitting @ 80k? fuck wits.
    I've gone over to the dark side, No Luke I'm not your effing father

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiman View Post
    Splitting @ 80k? fuck wits.
    Better not ride over here then mate because that's normal.

Bike
    1999 Honda CBR 600 FX
    Splitting on the Southern Motorway yesterday morning, I caught up to a cop on a bike that wasn't splitting. Said Good Morning as I went past. Got thinking about why was he sitting parked with the traffic when I thought that maybe he was trying to ambush the faster lane splitters. Couldn't think of any other reason why he would be staying with the cars.

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Splitting on the Southern Motorway yesterday morning, I caught up to a cop on a bike that wasn't splitting. Said Good Morning as I went past. Got thinking about why was he sitting parked with the traffic when I thought that maybe he was trying to ambush the faster lane splitters. Couldn't think of any other reason why he would be staying with the cars.
    That was tempting fate. Of course the cop has to stay with the traffic.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    Black something
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisr View Post
    Was it?

On the northern the other day I was the last of three bikes that were splitting. We all past a biker cop. I had slowed because the car infront right of me was doing odd thins. I ended up nearly riding two abreast with the cop. Looked at him and gave him a nod, then took off again.

I could have sworn i heard one of those police beep whoop things tho!
    "And, look, the luscious and fecund fronds of the Silver Fern has given brilliant birth to a stupendous fruit! A red Hondaberry, desposited by a lesser known species of Plonker Gittus Maximus Idiotus."

Bike
    1999 Honda CBR 600 FX
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisr View Post
    I have had one splitting right behind me one day and another time I was following one as we split.

So no, I don't think that they have to stay with the traffic.

Bike
    Walking
    I asked this in another thread, but would like more input from those here.
    This is not talking about a motorway situation, just a normal road.

... why would you indicate to pass a car on the right while staying in the same lane as that car. Surly you indicate to notify a change of lanes, not to notify a pass in the same lane?
    If you pass on the right, while remaining in the same lane as the other vehicle, you don't need to indicate?
    True or False?

Bike
    2005 triumph speed 4
    So if there are 2 stationary queues of fat people lined up at that doughnut stand and me being a little on the slim side , slip up the middle to the front of said Q's to get served first should I expect several biffs in the head or no negative response at all? Although I did do this ONCE at the local bakery, I would never expect to do it again without a bit of black n blue.

Thread Information