Page 55 of 102 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting/filtering: the legal and commonsense answers

Bike
    04 GSXR 1000
    Blog Entries
    No time to be faffing around clipping mirrors, get out of my way Im on the road! Do it fast enough so that by the time the driver realises you are there, you have already gone past!
    My bass is such a slapper.......I cant stop fingering those strings

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyhawk View Post
    No time to be faffing around clipping mirrors, get out of my way Im on the road! Do it fast enough so that by the time the driver realises you are there, you have already gone past!
    I'm safe on the "other" island in the meantime then ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    04 GSXR 1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I'm safe on the "other" island in the meantime then ...
    Rubbish! there is nooo escape!
    My bass is such a slapper.......I cant stop fingering those strings

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Rubbish! there is nooo escape!
    Don't make me come up there and show you how it should be done ... (at least I'll be safe in front ... maybe )
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    Hi, riding for 30+ years clipped a mirror the other day, hand up in apology, checked video later to find car moving over in bumper to bumper trafic at 10 - 20 kph, no indicator no chance of changing lane, my fault or there's ?. ( i know the answer )

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Perhaps you should pay more attention to the third quote in your own signature line then?
    Definitely. This case happened after a long ride in near sub-zero conditions with not ehough warm gear. My brain was definitely not on my riding. Just as bloody well for me my instincts kicked in and took the appropriate evasive action (given that I failed to see the situation developing).

Thank fuck you finally got there.
    I've never said otherwise. Although I may have implied it unintentionally. My assertion is that the mirror-clipping is not done with intent.

The clogged Auckland motorways at peak times is no place to learn the skills necessary to split safely
    Where else? You need clogged conditions to get the traffic speed low enough for novice splitters.

Simple as fuck really when you get past your attempts at self-justification, innit?
    No self-justification. I've already said that I cocked up and learnt from it.

Learners, by their very nature, lack the skills to perfectly execute that which they are trying to learn. That's why it's called learning, not doing. Mistakes will be made.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Neither, but women have a greater perprephial scope than men....it's tested at optomertrists.
    You'd think that would help with your spacial skills, you know, like when parallel parking
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    You'd think that would help with your spacial skills, you know, like when parallel parking
    .......or backing a trailor..

Bike
    Nada
    Jebus! All this so called lane splitting certainly does take its time dunnit?

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Where else? You need clogged conditions to get the traffic speed low enough for novice splitters.

Learners, by their very nature, lack the skills to perfectly execute that which they are trying to learn. That's why it's called learning, not doing. Mistakes will be made.
    Anywhere else that takes your fancy. The way I see it the skills required involve accurate bike control at low speeds and good spatial judgement. You don't need 5:30 North-Western conditions to create an environment to learn such skills IMO, what's wrong with using trolleys in a supermarket carpark after-hours or do what I and many others did by riding off road amongst trees, etc.

If ACC and Moto-NZ had even half a brain between them we'd be seeing more support behind initiatives like the Gymkhana events organised last year which, as I understand, were given fuck all support despite being approached.

From the viewpoint of a driver of a 4-wheeled vehicle regularly stuck in Aucklands daily moving carpark, a splitting bike is a splitting bike. Displaying an L-plate doesn't make me think I should cut them more slack if I see them splitting badly, it tells me they are probably less skilled and experienced, therefore they should be even more careful and conservative in their splitting decisions. Should a noob collide with my vehicle whilst splitting I'll probably be even more pissed off than if they were a Ulysses member. Hope that helps.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    Jebus! All this so called lane splitting certainly does take its time dunnit?
    Some people are slower than others.

Bike
    Nada
    Some people are slower than others.
    I don't get it? Maybe I should take a closer look in the mirror?

Bike
    TF125
    I don't get it? Maybe I should take a closer look in the mirror?
    Nah, you cruiser riders do enough of that already.

Bike
    Nada
    Nah, you cruiser riders do enough of that already.
    Sure do, trying to understand why so many so-called sports bikes keep disappearing behind me.
    Do you lot keep your receipts?
    Oh Em Gee!

Bike
    TF125
    Sure do, trying to understand why so many so-called sports bikes keep disappearing behind me.
    Do you lot keep your receipts?
    Oh Em Gee!
    I like to think of it as exercising self-control. Whilst on the subject of keeping receipts, I wonder if those of us who have been "unlucky" have kept all their hospital bracelets?

Thread Information