Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting/filtering: the legal and commonsense answers

Bike
    a green one, + some others

who splits right to the front

to drag off the first cage in line when the lights change?

I don't, it feels a bit bad mannered like pushing in to the line at the bank, I will sit in their mirror and merge behind them as they move off.

I saw someone do the ol' racing start at a roundabout the other day, only to get trapped beside a cage that took exception cause he was in the front of the line and wanting to turn right (single lane roundabout) coulda been very messy
    Yes I know my enemies
    They're the teachers who taught me to fight me....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lb99 View Post
    Who splits right to the front to drag off the first cage in line when the lights change?
    I do.
    I don't give a damn if you think it's bad-mannered. It sure beats sitting in the other traffic's wake as the cars/trucks spew out carcinogens, while waiting for them to crawl up to speed. I'd also rather be riding in a clear space of my own, where I can.

Mind you, having said that, I've several times caught myself thinking after passing some badly-driving fwit, "Am I really better off in front of them?" :spudwhat:
    Last edited by vifferman; 7th December 2006 at 13:21. Reason: Reason? REASON?!?! What has reason got to do with anything?!?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stunz View Post
    We know it, most cagers know it, but the law doesn't.
    The law is an ass, y'know. Quite possibly an arse as well.
    The trouble is, most of the namby-pamby laws (and enforcement thereof) have little to do with commonsense, the laws of physics, or any other sensible rationale, and everything to do with the creeping onslaught of SafetyNazism and bureaucracy.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    None
    to drag off the first cage in line when the lights change?

I don't, it feels a bit bad mannered like pushing in to the line at the bank, I will sit in their mirror and merge behind them as they move off.
    Bad mannered perhaps, but screw 'em lol

Well I don't really see a prob, cause' you're gonna go faster then them off the mark and you won't slow their trip down at all really.

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    a minature T-34
    Haven't had the destinct pleasure of getting abuse from lane splitting *knock on wood*

I do feel bad sitting right next to an open window sharing the wonderful aroma of burning 2t oil.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    my experience is they only get ratty when you clip their mirrors when you split!
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I prefer to get to the front and get clear smartish when the lights change. I like some space between me and the idiots. But, yes, be careful on roundabouts, they're tricky cos of having to take off on the curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
    Bad mannered perhaps, but screw 'em lol

Well I don't really see a prob, cause' you're gonna go faster then them off the mark and you won't slow their trip down at all really.

-Indy
    My point was that by pulling up beside the first car in line, you are pretty much challenging them to a drag, which could be courting disaster.

In saying that I used to do it all the time on my NSR when I was a teenager and used to ride like a twat (I used to think nothing of lanesplitting at 70k+ in the rain, spinning the wheel on the white line, lucky I'm still here now)

Anyway, nowdays I commute on a Z200, which is well and truly outclassed by anything with an eager driver, so I find it better and safer to go second.

Oh, by the way, the other day I made the 11km commute in 9min ?sec, can you guys up north do that?
    Yes I know my enemies

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    My point was that by pulling up beside the first car in line, you are pretty much challenging them to a drag, which could be courting disaster.
    mmm depends, sometimes I find the car takes off really slowly, wondering what you are doing. I prefer tootling off the line before them, so as not to hold anyone up etc. The only issue there is that you have to be really careful about the twits running reds from other angles. I have had some really blatant ones (green for me, and 3-4 cars come through). I find launching off the line real fast and noisy tends to make them panic, as you come towards them Hopefully it teaches them a lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by lb99
    Oh, by the way, the other day I made the 11km commute in 9min ?sec, can you guys up north do that?
    Yes, in middle of rush hour. I mean no, never got close to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    I'll get to the front of the queue and then pull in front of whatever cars are there, that way it's not a drag race because you're already in front of them.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Yes, in middle of rush hour. I mean no, never got close to that.
    this was "rush hour" too I left home at 749 going "mutter mutter farkin wimmin grumble grumble" opened up the taps and I hit the kill switch at work at 758
    Yes I know my enemies

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I'll get to the front of the queue and then pull in front of whatever cars are there, that way it's not a drag race because you're already in front of them.
    I guess I will have to get a faster bike then, oh, and a town with traffic lights to try it out on
    Yes I know my enemies

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600SS
    Quote Originally Posted by craigs288 View Post
    A lot of factors, but the two main ones are financially driven.

Obviously any police(wo)man wanting to keep their quota up will take the easy option of ticketing the motorbike for anything they feel like.

But can you imagine if half the cagers in auckland decided to come to work on a 250 for a week. All the petrol stations would make about 25% of the income they normally make. They would have to rape our wallets even harder to make some money.

And when you consider the government is making about 70cents for every litre of petrol sold, how would they make up the shortfall in their income.
    They will have to rape our wallets even harder through taxation of income to make up for the lack of gas guzzling cages on the road.

No government department will ever introduce any legislation to make it cheaper or safer to travel, whether by rail, bus, car or bike. Because all they will ever do is lose money. Your money. All they will do is introduce more laws to ticket you with, claiming it is in the interest of motoring safety and/or reducing congestion.
    hell yea! heard the same about ciggy tax. . .

Bike
    GT250R
    I guess I will have to get a faster bike then, oh, and a town with traffic lights to try it out on
    Mate I ride a GT250R and have no trouble pulling any car at the lights... but... it is more fun thrashing them as they get to the traffic and can't pass! Tonight there was a Turbo ford that was left dead on the spot then caught up to me (shit yaah I lewt it... read on to find out why) as we passed through the speed camera zone (love no front plate idea) it was hard on the pedal but 130ish is no defense for a great photo in an 80km/h zome and I was gone!
    But I must say that it is just as much fun pulling up beside a car, making sure they know you are there (look at them, pull the visor up and down, rev and...) watch them make a dick of themselves as they F off by themselves as you sit at the lights and point! Dick!
    Have Fun... or don't do it!!!

Bike
    '02 Kawa' KLX250 & Bucket
    This post has helped me out heaps!!!
    Been, seen and going next year.
    Paeroa, world famous in NZ

Thread Information