Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102
Results 1,516 to 1,522 of 1522

Thread: Lane splitting/filtering: the legal and commonsense answers

Bike
    2000 Yamaha FZS 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin' Billy View Post
    My angst comes not from them being too far left for me to split. It's when they see me coming and intentionally move to close the space to split.

It actually annoys me more than when they change lanes last minute right in front of you because they didnt look. I expect this, i know it could happen anytime, they can't see me or they plain didn't look.
    But this new lot that shut down the split. They've looked, awesome! they've seen me , even better. Then they move to purposely shut down the split. That's just a cock move

I have to admit that gives me the arse too: I have a son who gives me every reason to NOT put my life in danger, so when I see a SAFE gap and move into it only to have a jealous car-driver try to squash me out ... I have no problems slapping their side-mirror on the way past. I don't do any damage - but it gives them a hell of a fright and makes them realise that they can't get away with that sort of behaviour. (Even better in left-hand drive countries, then they have to get out of their car to sort out their passenger mirror )

I get that they're jealous. But putting a life in danger just because they're jealous? Really?

Bike
    95 honda cbr900rr 05 zx6rr 89gsxr750

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by justanothernoob View Post
    I have to admit that gives me the arse too: I have a son who gives me every reason to NOT put my life in danger, so when I see a SAFE gap and move into it only to have a jealous car-driver try to squash me out ... I have no problems slapping their side-mirror on the way past. I don't do any damage - but it gives them a hell of a fright and makes them realise that they can't get away with that sort of behaviour. (Even better in left-hand drive countries, then they have to get out of their car to sort out their passenger mirror )

I get that they're jealous. But putting a life in danger just because they're jealous? Really?
    That's why gloves have reinforced knuckles and boots have heel guards , if drivers don't use mirrors or indicators they don't need 'em

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mouldy View Post
    A word of warning when splitting on non motorway roads , go slow . 2 of the Circustreads diaspora had similar crashes recently , both failed to see the right turning car while going between traffic . 1 needs a new headlight and nosecone , the other needs new forks and his wists and gonads to heal .
    Well what the **** were they doing there? Do they know the rules or do they think they're beyond them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    I'm coming across a lot of cagers who ,while in the "fast lane" and in traffic, hug the left hand side of the lane making splitting impossible. This is specifically Aucklands southern motorway but i assume it happens everywhere else.
    What are they doing? Are they just sub par drivers or are they purposely trying to make my life difficult?

I'm curious to know how you guys deal with this. Do you honk or give em some redline angst? Maybe you just say "fuck wits be fuck wits" and pass when the opportunity arises?

Would I be a fuckwit if i let them no i was less than impressed with their caging skills?
    Yes cause you're in the WRONG.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooz View Post
    For those who might have missed this article by Paul Charman.

It definitely won't end the discussion, but Carey Griffiths does have some authoritative insights (currently the ACC motorcycle guy, previously 30 years in the police much of it in road policing).
    He is also a senior IAM rider and executive. A bloody good bloke who can seriously ride well.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It does irk me that they no-doubt feel smug and righteous while doing it though.
    Don't feel bad ... they probably aren't even aware you exist. At worst ... they make a *555 call and you get a chat with a highway patrol later ... so keep your bike legal.

The highway patrol would believe dangerous overtaking is more serious than impeding the flow of traffic. And impeding traffic would require speeds of less than 40 km/hr to attract their attention ... and may not even bother then.

There is no legal fast or slow lane ... just the recommendation that slow drivers keep to the left. The speed limit is the same in both lanes.

To overtake a vehicle on it's left in it's lane is forbidden.

And don't forget the cameras .. big brother is watching ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justanothernoob View Post
    But putting a life in danger just because they're jealous? Really?
    Nah ... not jealous ... but you piss them off and they piss you off.

But remember ... that life in danger is yours So keep it up ... nobody lives forever ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information