Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheelie / Stoppie physics

Bike
    mutterbumpkin
    Quote Originally Posted by Smorgen
    blah blah blah...........................drop the clutch open the accelerator figure it out for yourself
    blah blah blah ... Why? When i can have somebody else figure it out for me?...

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    cos it's only when you do it yourself that you understand what's going on. Else it's all just words.

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    cos it's only when you do it yourself that you understand what's going on. Else it's all just words.
    Only way I'll ever lift the front of the RF is with a crane... and a big one at that!
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    You need top experiment to find your limits, but remember, its inevidible that you will crash.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder
    Only way I'll ever lift the front of the RF is with a crane... and a big one at that!
    bwahahaha bloody whale
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    there is alot of things in life that you cant just do to understand.

Quantum physics etc can be a bit difficult to practice, but some people claim to understand.

If you understand first what makes something happen then it is more a relisation when you can achieve something like a wheelie!

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Newton's laws (I forget which is 1,2 and 3, but...)

1) If all forces on an object are equal, it will continue in a straight line at a constant velocity.

2) Force = mass x acceleration (or Acceleration is Force divided by the mass it acts on)

3) Action and reaction are equal and opposite.

Therefore: as your engine turns your rear wheel there is an equal and opposite force trying to turn the bike back around the wheel. If this force is larger than the weight of the front end...wheelie.

A stoppie is the same thing in reverse, but you are applying a force with your front brake to accelerate you backwards, so your rear wheel comes up this time.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    That's a bit sad!
    The VFR will wheelie, and it's supposedly heavier and less powerful than the RF, isn't it?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Bollocks!!

Bike
    And im not sure how the phisics of it all works, but i do know that if ya cant wheelie and stoppy your ghey.... and R1's must have good phisics coz they wheelie and stoppy great!!

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    I was told, (and I'm not sure if it's correct) that during a wheelie, the front sprocket is essentially trying to "climb" the chain.

Might be a load of shit, who knows.
    Unless you've got a shaftee. But of course they can't wheelie anyway...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD
    Newton's laws (I forget which is 1,2 and 3, but...)

1) If all forces on an object are equal, it will continue in a straight line at a constant velocity.
    I would suggest that if this rule were true, then the object would be stationary. Since according to your rule three, if there is a force trying to push the object in one direction, there must be an equal and opposite force pushing it back.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    Blackbird with a million k's on it
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSeven
    I would suggest that if this rule were true, then the object would be stationary. Since according to your rule three, if there is a force trying to push the object in one direction, there must be an equal and opposite force pushing it back.
    Nope. If all forces are balanced then there is no acceleration or deceleration. That includes ALL forces, so friction etc.

So lets say you had an amazing frictionless motorcycle and you lived on the moon (no atmophere so no air friction). If you were riding along at 100km/h and you pulled in the clutch (no friction remember) then all the forces involved would be balanced and the bike would continue at 100km/h indefinitely. However, if you applied the brakes the action of the brakes and the front wheel would apply a force opposing the motion and causing the bike to decelerate (assuming THEY had friction) .

As for forces being balanced, the "equal and opposite reaction" in this case is being supplied through the friction of the tyre by the moon, which will alter slightly in it's rotation. (yes I am saying that every time you accelerate or brake you are affecting the earth's spin and/or orbit. Just a tiny bit. Everytime you walk for that matter, or even roll over in bed... However, you must stop again at some point which applies the same force in the opposite direction. Over time the effect cancels out.)

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. You can't argue with Newton (well, you can try but he's been dead a long time so I doubt he'll pay much attention...)

WOW. I must have had a long day.
    Most. Ridiculous. Post. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightytaco
    It's like a bunch of guys talking calmly, sharing advice, all utopian like, and then BAM, drunken hobo slams his jug on the table and tells everyone they need to start punching each other.
    Interesting.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I like Statics and Dynamics 101.....
    in stoppie......front tyre stops, bikes momentum throws weight of bike (which is a force), over front axel in rotational motion....energy transfered in a rotational torque type effect and when its out the wheel goes back down. More weight over front, less torque required (gravity vs balance)
    in a wheelie....almost the opposite, rotational torque of wheel being sufficent to have enough torque to rotate bike in opposite direction (ie too fast acceleration to speed ratio). Energy changed as rotational force pushes bike over back axel....and eventually is returns.... unless you can provide more energy to it.
    More weight over back axel, less torque required.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    big black k6 GiX

Balls Ive seen one being flipped

Thread Information