Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheelie / Stoppie physics

Bike
    mutterbumpkin

Wheelie / Stoppie physics

This mightve been discussed b4, but i couldn't figure what to search on...

What actually causes wheelies / stoppies. Like i figure it's somehow about weight / balance / energy and momentum. I figure the "centre of rotation" that the bike moves around must become the axle in question?

But when does hard braking become enough to rotate the rear end around the front and the same for wheelies - when does hard acceleration become front wheel skyward?

Duh??

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    for wheelies the torque of the engine induces a rotation in the opposite direction to the rotation provided by gravity about the back wheel, when this torque exceeds the torque created by the weight of the bike/rider then the front wheel will lift

for stoppies the centre of gravity of the bike must be highish, the forwards momentum of the COG create a torque about the front wheel which is countered by the friction and stopping force of the brakes on the wheel so the bike pivots about the front wheel

really need some force diagrams so off to paint back in a bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	21261  

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    I was told, (and I'm not sure if it's correct) that during a wheelie, the front sprocket is essentially trying to "climb" the chain.

Might be a load of shit, who knows.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    how can it climb? they're both stuck in the same motion.. kinda see the logic, but that's a 'cute' thing, just a bit of wank really

a wheelie in brief - the rear wheel is providing more traction and torque than the front weight is in total, so it lifts the front wheel up. The bigger the bike, the more torque it needs to lift the heavier weight.

a stoppie in brief - the front wheel is braking beyond the point of which the weight on the rear of the bike isn't enough, so it starts to lift, and thus the front wheel is doing all the braking (so that's 100% Mr LTSA-I-know-it-all bs).

As for rotating the rear wheel round during a stoppie, that's nothing to do with the amount of braking really. If the wheel is up, it's up. You're then shifting your body motion to make the rear of the bike spin around. Same for a wheelie (ish). During a wheelie, you lean your body, and can use the handlebars to help steer.

Heaps of topics on this, and heaps of 'how to's' on the net, but each rider has a slightly different way of doing stuff, and each bike will be different again. Ask Mr Skid to do a stoppie, then try a sprotsbike brakes..

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    a wheelie in brief - the rear wheel is providing more traction and torque than the front weight is in total, so it lifts the front wheel up.
    huh, sorry this doesn't really explain it, in a wheelie the front wheel plays little part in the macro scale of things, sure the rotational inertia can be used to steer the bike and can impact the lifting/dropping of the front wheel, but not much.

the amount of traction has no direct impact other than the amount of torque being induced from the tire would greatly drop once the tire looses traction

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    Might be a load of shit, who knows.
    I do - you're full of it.
    (and I'm not sure about the physics)

Bike
    without traction, there's no grip. no grip is no good, cos it'd just spin, and the front ain't gonna come up. Didn't mention anything about the front wheel playing a huge role, just mentioned it lifts the front wheel. Stick a brick on the front then, it'll lift that instead..

Bike
    mutterbumpkin

Ahh...

3 points so far to Saslex, cos he has a lovely turn of phrase (physics wise).

2 points to WT, cos unlike me he can actually do both... (and should be glad i asked the question - cos next time it goes wrong for him, he could do a quick mental calculation on the inverse square hyponuse of the torque to get it sorted.... or not)

2 points to Bug, cos i didn't want him to feel left out... and cos he said "bit of wank" which is ... nice ...

Bike

It's all to do with stroke and grip,you have to get the speed right....and keep within the friction circle...invarably a mess to clean up at the end.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    lets just say that the front goes slower than the back.....it works for me.... and motu has another good explanation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    I did a stoppie the other day. Wasn't intentional. Had something to do with the cage infront of me slamming on their brakes. Didn't really notice the back end had lifted up until it came back down. Very exciting. I stopped within inches of the cages bumper

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    If you go back the the thread on chain/sprockets where it was stated the rear shock extends, the answer to the wheelie question is there. Simply put, once the shock is fully extended, the chain pulls the front wheel up as the bike tries to piviot round the rear axle.

Stoppy, pretty much the front axle is dropping below its horizontal, so the force forward then turns into a lever around the front axle.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    mutterbumpkin

Ahhh...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSeven
    If you go back the the thread on chain/sprockets where it was stated the rear shock extends, the answer to the wheelie question is there. Simply put, once the shock is fully extended, the chain pulls the front wheel up as the bike tries to piviot round the rear axle.

Stoppy, pretty much the front axle is dropping below its horizontal, so the force forward then turns into a lever around the front axle.
    Nice (and 10 or something)

Cheers

Bike
    big black k6 GiX
    blah blah blah...........................drop the clutch open the accelerator figure it out for yourself

Thread Information