Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike vs Car cornering speeds?

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki ZZR-250

Bike vs Car cornering speeds?

Driving back from the beach on Sunday we drove through some pretty tight corners and steep hills (Awhitu peninsula). Now, I own a turbo Nissan Skyline (yes, I know ) and this thing corners like it's on rails. 65km/h bends at 120km type of thing.

How does a modern sportsbike compare to a car for cornering in the tight stuff?
    New Bike, New Licence, Ready to Roll

Bike
    Huski TE250 "04
    i had a go in my mum focus (brand new) up in the hills today....i hated it, i felt like i had to spin the wheel before i could do a sharp coner at speed. ild go faster on a bike anyday
    Well what would you do? Run through the streets stark naked at 350 miles per hour with bells on your toes?

Bike
    suzuki sv1000 k3
    on the twisty bits you will bes ucking car exhaust all the way. simple case of having more rubber on the road
    Its all about the game and how you play it.

Bike
    Huski TE250 "04
    Quote Originally Posted by robnz
    on the twisty bits you will bes ucking car exhaust all the way. simple case of having more rubber on the road

but a modern sports bike will have like a bazillion times more acceleration out of every corner, so it should catch up then...
    Well what would you do? Run through the streets stark naked at 350 miles per hour with bells on your toes?

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Hmm... yoshi has a mint r33 which shot past me on a ride (flaming zorst and all)... I ended up trying to stay with him through some 70-120kmh twisties, when I got into the groove he didn't pull away and I didn't loose ground. Somehow I think that he was not pushing it. I know the bike had more in it as well. (I had never ridden the road either :|)

In general the argument that has been done to death is: 4x contact patches which would (weight etc) proportionately be bigger than a bikes two (or one ). A car also has aerodynamics to hold it there.

A car can be ridden at 110% (eg drifting/sliding where needed). I bike cannot be ridden above 100% (as a general rule, yes they can slide too etc) or else you wake up in a bed somewhere...

Therefore ya average sports car will shit on a bike through the twisties. I don't rate the chances as well when up against a heavily tuned 2 stroke 250 sports bike or something similar though.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Race ya from Kopu to Whitianga on Riff Raffs SV, that'll learn ya.

Edit: For the record, Performance Bikes tested a heavily moddified WRX angainst a GS500 and a GSXR1000. tested the cornering between all three on a constant radius circle, the car was howling tyres, switching between understeer/oversteer, barely managing to hold a line. Even the lowly GS could choose whether to ride 'round it or duck up the inside. The only place the car out performed either bike was in braking.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Huski TE250 "04
    Quote Originally Posted by tristank

Therefore ya average sports car will shit on a bike through the twisties. I don't rate the chances as well when up against a heavily tuned 2 stroke 250 sports bike or something similar though.
    oh yeah, go the two stroke 250's, nothing can beat them...

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki ZZR-250
    ya average sports car will shit on a bike through the twisties. .
    Hmm. I figured as much but good to have it confirmed by those with actual experience on a bike.
    New Bike, New Licence, Ready to Roll

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Raced a 350KW Clubsport on my Speedtriple couldn't lose him even in the corner's I was 2 wheel drifting the bike & only just making alittle then when the straight came up he would fly past . This went on for 40min till I got into a real tight piece a road then made a few K's on him . Bloody hard work I must say .

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by The young one
    oh yeah, go the two stroke 250's, nothing can beat them...
    Corner speed on them is pretty decent when compared to your gixxers etc. They are much lighter and can also change direction quickly when in the hands of a skilled rider.

Hence the "I don't rate the chances as well" comment....

Bike
    a red heap
    ... Therefore ya average sports car will shit on a bike through the twisties. .....
    yeah right

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog
    yeah right
    Go try beat a porsche with an above average edit:driver through the twisties. That's an average sportscar...

I highly doubt it will happen.

Straights is another story though

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Just a comparison on the track: a Formula Ford (over 400kg with driver and 115hp tops....unless he's cheating) needs to get around Taupo on most days around a 40.5secs or you wont be on the first 3 or 4 rows of the grid. Brendon Hartly (at 15yrs old the little bugger) has put himself on pole with a 39.8! Most sports 600's will easily outpace a FF down the straight but certainly not put in that sort of lap time so the difference must be in braking ability (I used to brake at 50 meters off the front straight and I'm an old fat bastard) and cornering.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    GSXR 450
    Well My dad has an old v8 ferrari 3ltr its a mondial worht about 60k dose 150miles per hour top speed, we had a race for about 5mins on sh16 with a kawaka 636, we came up behind him and over took, he had small cock syndrome and tryed to chase he was just about to overtake but we hit a corner, he was quite fast but after the 4th corner he was gone, in saying this though my dad used to race formula fords...
    Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
    Muhammad Ali

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Most of the posts stating the bike was faster on XX track are probably fact BUT on a NZ road with bumps and ripples I'd say (neck on the line here) that a car would be faster as it has four tyres to make contact - a bike only needs ONE tyre to hit a ripply piece and that is 50% of it's potential grip gone, also a sideways drift is easier to recover from in a car as opposed to a bike.
    Of course a bike has a wider 'lane' to move around on (as per track stuff) but on an 'unknown' road that advantage is whittled right back.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information