Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RG150 Powervalve trouble

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90

RG150 Powervalve trouble

Well this afternoon I was figuring out how to clean the powervalves cause my impression was this was a easy task. Well I don't know what the hell I'm doing so no it hasn't been easy. So I've taken the exhaust off, had a go at undoing some throttle control like thingy next to the powervalve and after reading this: http://www.geocities.com/zorst1/zors...?1134346318546 I took the exhaust valve cover off. Realising I need to take the radiator off to have a proper look inside I thought stuff it, come back to it tomorrow. As I was tidying up I noticed inside the powervalve compartment thingy there were 2 loose springs and a loose screw. Now I'm no experts with engines as you can tell but from what I know this is a bad thing right? What the hell should I do now?

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    well the fact that they are loose are a problem.... thats why its got no power... the two strings should have a retainer clip that holds them in plece... thats what the screw should hold in place... Suzuki powervalves are all very similar so ill post some pics up from my RM powervalves to show you

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack

here

heres a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valves.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	21925  

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    clean em with oven cleaner and a plastic bag and I had same problem on my RG150 my brother had his power valves lying in pieces and it still performed
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    FZ250
    Yeah. I think everyone has that problem sooner or later. Shoulda used a longer screw I guess.

I need to clean mine properly. Dad was all paranoid about getting gunk in the engine last time I had the cover off (to fix this problem). Silly man.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by RG100!!
    well the fact that they are loose are a problem.... thats why its got no power... the two strings should have a retainer clip that holds them in plece... thats what the screw should hold in place... Suzuki powervalves are all very similar so ill post some pics up from my RM powervalves to show you
    Yeah, I found that retainer clip loose in there as well, it's like the screw wasn't tightened up properly and had let them loose. I'm going to have another go at it today. There is one more thing stopping me from doing any more yesterday, what is the controlling thing next to it? It has 2 cables under high downward tension attached to a wheel that's attached to a axle going into the powervalve chamber. The screws holding the cables as I unscrewed them ended up chewing their threads as the tension was pushing down on them stopping them from unscrewing up and out. I was going to take the tank off to see if I could loosen these cables above it so I could get this control thingy out of the way as the page Zorst gave me suggests. What am I supposed to do to take it off?

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    in a perfect world you would take out the engine.... but thats a pain in the arse.

but the cables you describe are the cables that open and close the valves.

you need to remove the valves completly out of the engine and clean them up... also chenck for thin spots in the metal where in the hutt are you???

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    UUUUUUUUuper hUuuuut!

Northernaa enad. yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    UUUUUUUUuper hUuuuut!

Northernaa enad. yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    ok ....

Bike
    I've finally got them out! Managed to lever the rod holding them in out with a flat head screwdriver. I'll be taking them into Motomart to get an opinion to how bad/good their condition is and wether they need replacing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image037.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	22982  

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    hope like fucking hell they dont need replacing....... they cost shit loads... mine were 1200 for the whole kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    oh and could you clean them then post a pic???

Bike
    I've cleaned them a bit already but I was going to do Ivan's trick later (oven cleaner and bag). I've only got my camera phone and all the pics are pretty fuzzy and its hard to see any detail. The pic I posted up before is the best it could do. I'll see if I can take a few pics with a standard camera and scan the photos and post them up soon.

And it's likely they'll need replacing, or there is something seriously wrong elsewhere

Why didn't I just get a race bike like this? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-43985776.htm

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    na screw that, its too old to be compeditive and they want to much.

If i were you, and wanted to race hard out, do what im gonna do. Buy a RS125... start on that. It will teach you how to corner fast, and from what i hear, they are shit load of fun!!

Thread Information