Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A San Franciscan in New Zealand.

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V

Smile

Welcome to K.B Jon.:spudwave: I'm over on holiday from Oz and just did the Coro Loop. That is a MUST ride.
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbauer
    Ok, after looking at the map I had a bit of a realization. First I have to admit something...

As many American's, I learned that NZ is one of the most beautiful countries in the world by watching... Lord Of the Rings. I hope that's not offensive to anyone, but that really opened my eyes to it. SO... I'm thinking that since they filmed a lot of it in Wellington, as I remember reading, that maybe it would be cool to get down to that part of the country.

Thoughts? Do I hear a click and a dial tone? Did I lose my connection???

- Jon
    Na - no connection lost at all.

Be aware the filming of LOTR was all over the place - some in the South Island, and some in the North. It was edited in Wellington and a lot of special effects were done by Weta Workshops based there.

The actual scenery is from all over - North to South.

Speaking personally - you're going to have to work a hell of a lot harder that than to offend me.

Wellington (locally known as "Wellywood") is a great place that take about 11 hours solid driving from Auckland (just to put it in perspective for you)

MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Buell M2 Cyclone
    Are yes but the South Island is really where it's at for lord of the rings scenery.
    Have fun in New Zealand, make the most of the kiwi hospitality and enjoy.
    Live long and prosper

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zadok
    Welcome to K.B Jon.:spudwave: I'm over on holiday from Oz and just did the Coro Loop. That is a MUST ride.
    good call - Jon, that's the peninsular to the West of Auckland, with Coromandel and Thames (pronounced "tems") on it.

MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Oh. Gotya. Ok, so Wellington isn't necessarily a "must go to" destination then. Sounds great. I'll be posting as we get closer to my visit. You guys are of course invited to check out this SegPolo sport... we are planning/hoping to have a lot of press there. For the benefit of the NZ Segway dealer, mostly. Should be fun. Can post details if anyone is interested...

Otherwise, I'm so looking forward to meeting as many as I can! Are you, MDU, or others thinking of riding with me for that whole week???

- Jon

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Oh. Gotya. Ok, so Wellington isn't necessarily a "must go to" destination then. Sounds great. I'll be posting as we get closer to my visit. You guys are of course invited to check out this SegPolo sport... we are planning/hoping to have a lot of press there. For the benefit of the NZ Segway dealer, mostly. Should be fun. Can post details if anyone is interested...

Otherwise, I'm so looking forward to meeting as many as I can! Are you, MDU, or others thinking of riding with me for that whole week???

- Jon
    I'm tied to Auckland - young family and all that. Am happy to comment/help as required though.

Post the details on the Segways here - go for it. I had a go on one once and they're an amsing piece of kit

Bike
    k6 750 :)
    pretty much stick to MDU's itinerary...that way you'll cover beaches/lakes/mountains and some great roads!
    wellington? it's kinda a smaller version of 'frisco... a cool place, but if you've only got a week... guess it depends if you wanna stay in 'cities' or tour around the place.
    go for the tour!
    "Fit a front tyre you love, and put something round & black on the back"
    Il Dottore

Bike
    none
    Yea mate if you're here you have to do the Coro.

From Texas initially myself but family live in SanFran and Diego. Good places but too much traffic for me.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder
    good call - Jon, that's the peninsular to the West of Auckland, with Coromandel and Thames (pronounced "tems") on it.

MDU
    Ah, turn the map around, oh semi-literate one!!
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder

MDU

Try "East" of Auckland.....

You live in West Auckland

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS
    Ah, turn the map around, oh semi-literate one!!
    Sorry - quite right... I was looking from the centre of the Earth... or somethin'.

And Crashe - I live in Kumeu. That's a separate state in these parts. West Auckland? pah!

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    hey Jon..

im from Ohio.. been here a few years now .. catch up with me when youre here and i'll show you around for a bit..
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Quote Originally Posted by SARGE
    hey Jon..

im from Ohio.. been here a few years now .. catch up with me when youre here and i'll show you around for a bit..
    Sounds great. I'm hoping that some folks will go on parts of the trip with me! I definitely want to check out the Battle Of the Streets race in Paeroa too - sounds like that's a party that most of you go to already...

- Jon

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    You would need to do 4+ hours a day riding twisties to do Ak to Wgtn via both sides of the island & leave a bit of time for socializing / sightseeing. Pm if you intend getting near the west coast wonderland (New Plymouth)

Bike
    Nada
    I'm hoping that some folks will go on parts of the trip with me!
    I will and no doubt a couple more would be keen on doing Northland(mid and far)with ya mate.
    Can show ya some sweet as sights if keen. Plenty to see and ride
    Nothing against Wellington itself but if tight time like you seem to be I'd check it out and move on...too much else to check out.

Thread Information