Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A San Franciscan in New Zealand.

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Quote Originally Posted by Badcat
    hi jon.
    prepay SIMs are everywhere in nz.
    k
    Think it's better to do that or pre-buy from a place like: http://www.telestial.com/

- Thanx
    - Jon

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by jbauer
    Think it's better to do that or pre-buy from a place like: http://www.telestial.com/

- Thanx
    - Jon
    well - if you buy one in NZ you will have an NZ number and it will be a LOT cheaper to use. we also don't pay to recieve calls on cell here - and you will with a roaming US number.
    up to you - but i'd leave a message on your US number with the new temporary NZ number if i were you - that's what i do when i'm in the US for more than a few days.

ken
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Ok, sounds like a plan. Thanks Ken!

- Jon

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    When I went over for my holiday, I took my old Nokia with me and checked out the options. Vodafone is the only pre-paid option, the others don't do it! $30 will get you a SIM card and an initial $5 credit. Go to Vodafone online, answer a couple of questions and you get another $10. Good for 12 months. I left $20 with my Dad, to recharge in when the year is nearly up.

ps. Make sure your phone isn't 'locked' to a particular carrier.
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Hi All,

Ok, I've had a chance to read up (mostly Peter Mitchell's "Great Escapes" book and also his Motorcycle Atlas) and I picked a bunch of stuff that's highly rated. What do y'all think?

Day 1 (25-2-06): (what you think TL Rider?)

Auckland -> SH1 (to Bryndewyn) -> SH12 (to Ruawai, through Dargaville) -> all the way up through the Waipoua Forest (take the ferry crossing?) -> up to Ahipara or Kaitaia or Awanui (stay overnight)

Day 2 (26-2-06):

SH10 east -> Waipapa to Kerikeri (to check out the Stone Store) -> SH1 all the way down to Auckland (stay overnight)

Day 3 (27-2-06):

Auckland -> Waitakaruru via SH1 south, SH2 and SH25 -> to Coromandel -> follow SH25 all the way around to SH2 -> to Tauranga (stay overnight)

Day 4 (28-2-06):

Tauranga -> SH2 (buzz past Whakatane) -> start the 35 loop through the East Cape -> all the way around to Gisborne -> SH2 to Napier (stay overnight)

Day 5 (1-3-06):

Napier -> SH2 north to SH5 -> Taupo -> SH1 south to Turangi -> SH1 south to Waiouru -> SH49 west to Tohunga Junction -> SH4 north to SH47 north to Turangi (stay overnight)

Day 6 (2-3-06):

Turangi -> SH41 west to Taumarunni -> SH4 to Eight Mile Junction -> SH3 to Te Kuiti -> SH3 north to Hamilton -> SH1 north back to Auckland (stay overnight - fly to Melbourne on the morning of the 3rd)

I think these days miss a few of what MDU talked about, but I guess I have to make some choices... Is there anything that jumps out at you as "what a shame - you should go here..."?

Am I biting off more than I can chew with this kind of itinerary?

- Thanx in advance!
    - Jon

P.S. I bought a phone and am working on getting a SIM card pre-bought so that I can give y'all my number before I get there...

Also, I think I screwed up on the date for the "Battle of the Streets" race in Paeroa. It's 2-19, I think. Won't be able to make that...

Bike
    none
    You might want to shange your date formats to Day-Month-Year.

Otherwise some here may get confused. They do when I put dates the American way all the time.

Might join you around the East Cape on the 28th.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander
    You might want to shange your date formats to Day-Month-Year.

Otherwise some here may get confused. They do when I put dates the American way all the time.
    Yeah, good point. Changed.

Might join you around the East Cape on the 28th.
    Excellent! Looks like some beautiful roads over there!

- Jon

Bike
    2001 Suzuki RF 400

Distances adding up

Hi All,

Ok, I've had a chance to read up (mostly Peter Mitchell's "Great Escapes" book and also his Motorcycle Atlas) and I picked a bunch of stuff that's highly rated. What do y'all think?

Day 1 (25-2-06): (what you think TL Rider?)

Auckland -> SH1 (to Bryndewyn) -> SH12 (to Ruawai, through Dargaville) -> all the way up through the Waipoua Forest (take the ferry crossing?) -> up to Ahipara or Kaitaia or Awanui (stay overnight)

Day 2 (26-2-06):

SH10 east -> Waipapa to Kerikeri (to check out the Stone Store) -> SH1 all the way down to Auckland (stay overnight)

Day 3 (27-2-06):

Auckland -> Waitakaruru via SH1 south, SH2 and SH25 -> to Coromandel -> follow SH25 all the way around to SH2 -> to Tauranga (stay overnight)

Day 4 (28-2-06):

Tauranga -> SH2 (buzz past Whakatane) -> start the 35 loop through the East Cape -> all the way around to Gisborne -> SH2 to Napier (stay overnight)

Day 5 (1-3-06):

Napier -> SH2 north to SH5 -> Taupo -> SH1 south to Turangi -> SH1 south to Waiouru -> SH49 west to Tohunga Junction -> SH4 north to SH47 north to Turangi (stay overnight)

Day 6 (2-3-06):

Turangi -> SH41 west to Taumarunni -> SH4 to Eight Mile Junction -> SH3 to Te Kuiti -> SH3 north to Hamilton -> SH1 north back to Auckland (stay overnight - fly to Melbourne on the morning of the 3rd)

I think these days miss a few of what MDU talked about, but I guess I have to make some choices... Is there anything that jumps out at you as "what a shame - you should go here..."?

Am I biting off more than I can chew with this kind of itinerary?

Hey S F visiting NZ, this is only my personal opinion, but this itinerary has no space for any down time at all. Riding on New Zealand roads is not always quick and easy - they are often not in good condition. You will be riding on the "wrong side of the road" and may be riding some of it alone, unless you have a riding buddy. The weather is mainly fine right now, but if it turns bad - it could be a factor.

Have you considered allowing a day somewhere to rest and enjoy the locality that you're in - we have everything from bush, beach, (the Bay of Islands is lovely), mountains, active volcanoes, hills and valleys with beautiful rivers......you might want to linger a while somewhere....

Just my 10 cents worth, anyway. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses, as they say.

Everything is always okay in the end.
    If it's not, then it's not The End.

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddess of Goof
    Hey S F visiting NZ, this is only my personal opinion, but this itinerary has no space for any down time at all. Riding on New Zealand roads is not always quick and easy - they are often not in good condition. You will be riding on the "wrong side of the road" and may be riding some of it alone, unless you have a riding buddy. The weather is mainly fine right now, but if it turns bad - it could be a factor.

Have you considered allowing a day somewhere to rest and enjoy the locality that you're in - we have everything from bush, beach, (the Bay of Islands is lovely), mountains, active volcanoes, hills and valleys with beautiful rivers......you might want to linger a while somewhere....

Just my 10 cents worth, anyway. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses, as they say.

This is true. I wasn't sure how long these rides would take me. I'll plan to stop and smell the roses wherever I see them for sure. I'm not hell bent on getting to this whole itinerary... The guide book makes them all look so great though!

- Thanx
    - Jon

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Hi All!

Ok, here's my local NZ number. Will be turned on when I get there, Feb 16th or 17th...

021 163 6846

I'm still planning on posting the times and locations of the Segway Polo stuff, if anyone is interested in meeting up there (could be fun, but be forewarned, it's TOTALLY geeky). I'm also still planning to pick up my scoot on the morning of the 25th (at about 8:00 am or so) - 54 Barrys Point Road, Takapuna, Auckland. Would love to meet up with you all there and do a bit of a ride!

I'm very worried about this "wrong" side of the road thing!!! When are you guys gonna fix that???

- Thanx!
    - Jon

Bike
    none
    I'm very worried about this "wrong" side of the road thing!!! When are you guys gonna fix that???
    Not as hard to remember as most would think.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    2001 Suzuki RF 400

Hard-ly

Not as hard to remember as most would think.
    :slap: And we can provide some - ahem - hard hitting - reminders about keeping left
    Everything is always okay in the end.
    If it's not, then it's not The End.

Bike
    A touring barge
    Day 3 (27-2-06):

being a local yokel, I'll wade in with a slight interlude to get to Waitakaruru, in lieu of SH1/SH2.

Ride about 20kms south of Akl city, you can exit either Manukau or Manurewa off the motorway and head for Clevedon. From there just follow the coastal path to Kawakawa Bay>Kaiaua>Miranda and then you'll end up coming out at Waitakaruru(SH25) anyhoo. Some dub it the Kaiaua GP

I know it's a mere drop in your ocean of NZ road miles planned, but it serves as a much nicer prelude to Coromandel than SH1. A bit more interesting, plus you get a preview of the Coromandel peninsula from the other side of the Firth of Thames.

Too bad you're pencilled in for a Monday for this leg, because I am sure there'd be many KBers who would do the Coro loop with you

EDIT: Hmmm, how much leave do I have?
    Tha Jandal: Adding another dimension to "rubber side down"

Jandal [jan-duhl] noun: a mythical entity presiding over bikers
    Jandal [jan-duhl] verb: "to jandal" is to involuntarily separate from one's boik.
    Jandalled [jan-duhlled] past tense - usage: "bro, I've just gone and jandalled it"

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    Thanks NhuanH!

Re-arranged the itinerary. Gonna do the Coromandel on Saturday, first day of the trip... Yeah, definitely looks like the coast ride to Waitakaruru is much more fun... Let's get a group together for that ride! Who is game???

Even though it's not documented in the itinerary, I AM planning for "rose smelling" throughout this trip. I'm not opposed to stopping and spending a lot of time smelling flowers if the mood and location strikes me...

- Jon

Day 1 (Saturday, 25-2-06):

Auckland -> Whitford Maratai Coast Road and Clevedon Kawakawa Road to Waitakaruru -> to Coromandel -> follow SH25 all the way around to SH2 -> to Tauranga (stay overnight)

Day 2 (Sunday, 26-2-06):

Day 3 (Monday, 27-2-06):

Day 4 (Tuesday, 28-2-06):

Turangi -> SH41 west to Taumarunni -> SH4 to Eight Mile Junction -> SH3 to Te Kuiti -> SH3 north to Hamilton -> SH1 north back to Auckland (stay overnight)

Day 5 (Wednesday, 1-3-06):

Day 6 (Thursday, 2-3-06):

SH10 east -> Waipapa to Kerikeri (to check out the Stone Store) -> SH1 all the way down to Auckland (stay overnight, fly out the morning of the 4th)

Bike
    2005 Kawasaki zx6r
    MDU, today is the 4th there, 2 days past your due date. You are probably changing a diaper (a nappy?) right now so aren't reading this... But in case you ARE... Did it happen? Do you hear the sound of a crying baby right now? Are congratulations in order? Details!

- Jon

Thread Information