Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice/feedback to improve track day

Bike
    Honda PC800

Advice/feedback to improve track day

Folks Im not looking to boost my ego here BUT
    Please could I have feedback about the way the trackday was run during the day and the information leading up to it
    Last edited by FROSTY; 21st December 2005 at 20:20.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    You pretty much covered all the necessaries. But I'd suggest the pit flag is hung out off the stands rather than waved so there is a longer leadtime for catching attention. Also could be a good idea to have a session for ladies only esp the less confident ones - they are highly put off by the thought of sharing the track with what they see as hotshots.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    KTM Duke. Last ridden.....?
    No rain.
    10characters
    At the rise of the hand by Policeman, stop rapidly. Do not pass him by or otherwise disrespect him.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Lunch: A+
    Brief: A (maybe a little more info about the flags for noobs)
    Changing classes: A
    Waving speed group flag: Good idea. Anything that can speed up the gaps between groups.
    Sighting laps: Yeah, 2 will do.

re: weather stuff. Maybe if it's starting to look dodgy next time, postpone things like wheelie sessions till later on, so track time for everyone is maximised. Fit in "extras" when possible.

Bike
    Huski TE250 "04
    dont let it rain....
    where abouts were you thinking for the next one?
    Well what would you do? Run through the streets stark naked at 350 miles per hour with bells on your toes?

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    i think it was run really well. Think we maybe spent too much time on the track getting familiarised.

The most beneficial thing was how you stopped us at each section and described the best way to tackle it. Perhaps next time just one lap at slow pace, then a 'brief' lap where someone does the describing, then two (at sub top pace) laps for the people that havent done the track before.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Devil on the delaying the wheelie ...(I mean emergency braking) type events when we had such a delay getting started and the weather looked like it was going to turn to custard.

The flags werent really explained properly. Was a bit confusing with all different types being waved around.

Maybe a megaphone for any time you want to get everyones attention. Hard to hear you when helmets are on and bikes going.

Everything else was damn near perfect as far as I could tell!

ps: MSTRS ...those hotshots dont scare me

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDuck
    ps: MSTRS ...those hotshots dont scare me
    P'raps 'tis t'other way round?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Let people sort out their own lunch.

Bike
    Huski TE250 "04
    bring in a mobile food van (they should come for free if you tell them). i was a spectator and there was no food for me!!!!1 so i had to go to the local dariy and buy the bet tasting pie ive ever had..
    Well what would you do? Run through the streets stark naked at 350 miles per hour with bells on your toes?

Bike
    GSXR 750 (No 10)
    All in all pretty good. Bur you need to get folk out on the track ASAP. I know there was a delay in getting the sweeper sorted. Turn up at a vic club track day and see how fast they cycle through the sessions. the next group should be formed up at the dummy grid as the current group are on the warm down lap. as they come in the next group go out. Also as Speedmedic said a chequered flag at the end of the session to stop confusion. And most important of all a longer question and answer session. And no rain. And a bar, with free beer. And hooter girls.
    Superdukes. Serving up shame to sportsbikes since ages ago.

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo600
    And a bar, with free beer. And hooter girls.
    All joking aside, I am not keen to see any alcohol at track days (and definitely not keen to see under age drinking at the track). Have never see any alcohol present at any track day I've ever gone to. Suggest the drinking be done after the day is finished. End of Rant.
    PS: Hooters are welcome as long as they can't be seen on any of the corners (they might find the odd bike parked between them if they did).

Found it simpler to treat any flagging for track days as "possible biker down, slow and pit safely for restarting". A white flag at start/finish as a "forewarning of season ending (1-2mins to go approx = one lap to go)", with a checkered for "end of season, pit on after passing start/finish" would be cool.
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    GSXR 750 (No 10)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInBlack
    All joking aside, I am not keen to see any alcohol at track days (a definitely not keen to see under age drinking at the track). Have never see any alcohol present at any track day I've ever gone to. Suggest the drinking be done after the day is finished. End of Rant.
    PS: Hooters are welcome as long as they can't be seen on any of the corners (they might find the odd bike parked between them if they did).

Found it simpler to treat any flagging for track days as "possible biker down, slow and pit safely for restarting". A white flag at start/finish as a "forewarning of season ending (1-2mins to go approx = one lap to go)", with a checkered for "end of season, pit on after passing start/finish" would be cool.
    Yeah I know. I was being smart. No bar necessary. I wouldn't thouch a drop of piss on the track as I require all my noodle just to hang on to the pace I'm going anyway.
    Superdukes. Serving up shame to sportsbikes since ages ago.

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    I agree that it'd be good to get people out on the track quicker and to speed up the group changes.

The idea of explaining the corners to new riders is good, but I think it didn't work doing it on the track. I for one could hardly hear anything. Plus you started explaining before some of the riders had stopped. Perhaps a sheet with picture of the circuit and description of the corners would be good, or having a special briefing for people new to the track to explain the corners? This may also save time and get people on the track quicker.

The first novice session was good though.

Overall, bloody well run.
    Nice job Frosty.

Bike
    Ok lets try this. No offence intended with my comments and the track day on Sunday was great and I thank all the people who put it on. Specially you Frosty and Spank.
    Lets move the play time to the end of the day. If the marshals had ridden while we had lunch and then we went back on the track we would have had more track time. And some of it would have been in the dry.
    But a track day is for riding. I also appreciate the track condition was a problem.
    Why did we get flagged in on the last session? Yep the rain was heavy but we had, had so little track time I, and others on the track, were happy to ride on in the rain but we got flagged in. As we were a group of more experienced riders the conditions did not create a hazard. Those who were not happy with the rain and mud left the track.
    My only complaint was the lack of track time. In fact I was a bit grumpy about it but I understand what happened. The track manager needed to put in more prep work. After all they got paid the full rate for the track and we got discounted track time cos we had to prep the bloody thing.. Then he had the cheek to complain cos a few bikes ruffed up the driveway. F.F.S
    The day was great and it was good to get the old Gixxer out and give it a good thrash. Thanks everyone and the food was great.
    Roll on the next KB track day.
    Good work Frosty and everyone else......

Thread Information