Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Blackbird, hello again Fireblade!

Bike
    Sold

Goodbye Blackbird, hello again Fireblade!

Yesterday I traded in my 1997 Honda CBR1100XX after owning for 10 months and clocking up over 21,000kms on it, and now I am the proud owner of a 2003 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade (the last time I owned a Blade was 10 yrs ago). See pics attached of the bikes alongside eachother at the dealership in Hamilton.

Truth be known, I am sad to see the mighty Bird go, but not only was it getting high in the kms and was starting to deteriorate cosmetically, but I came to realise that I much desire to be back on a light-weight sportsbike. The Blackbird is a dry weight of 223kgs whereas the new Blade weighs in at a mere 168kgs! It took me a while to adjust to the heavy 1100 when I first bought it but I came to respect & understand my limitations on it. I have the same attitude towards the 954, the transition back to a lighter bike with nearly as much power will need to be a careful one because this machine is no doubt a weapon of destruction in the wrong hands!

I will always love the Blackbird and highly recomend it as an awesome all-round motorcycle, if you can handle the weight/power that is? If I was going to make any criticisms I would mention the linked brakes, and that in order to stop the bike quickly you really have to give it a handful and include using the rear pedal at times too. In comparison to the 954 they are very lacking IMO, but the weight of the bike has to be considered. Non adjustable suspension is another downside to the Bird.

I've only ridden a mere 200kms on the 954 so far but I am blown away with the power-weight ratio (front comes up extremely easy in 1st, easy in 2nd, and 3rd takes a tad more effort lol), brakes are excellent with only 1 finger on the lever, quite happy with the EFI instant performance(first fuel injected bike I've owned), much enjoying the digital gauge, and it's great to have fully adjustable suspension again which I've changed all back to standard settings and will set up accordingly after a few test rides. I chose the 954 after reading several testimonies from Blade owners on the Net, and I have liked the look of this model ever since it was released with its sexy swingarm, sleek tail with lovely clear LED lamp, titanium stock muffler, and generally the whole shape from front to rear just pushes my buttons! First on the shopping list for the new wheels is a tinted bubble windscreen, polished ali frame sliders & bar end weights, which are all on their way from the States. I won't be changing the exhaust or trying to make to bike more powerful for the mean time. [Edit:]Forgot to mention that I will be tidying up the rear end 'spade' asap!

Much looking forward to riding with some of you over the summer holiday period.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldvsnew-1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	22917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954-01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	22918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954-02.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	22919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954-03.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	22920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954-05.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	22921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954-04.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	22922  

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    very nice zed quite similar styling to the bird in a way looking at the two together.

well from that angle at least.

have fun but safely of course ah screw it go for it

MA

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    VERY nice.

Get out there and enjoy the new toy.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    Something red and quick
    I'VE TOLD YOU SO!

EVER SINCE YOU WANTED TO BUY THAT BIRD, I'VE TOLD YOU THE PERILS OF FIREBLADE TEMPTATION!

Good decision. Good man.

I'm still missing my 99 Blade. I'm still missing it so.

My 99 blue repsol-scheme Blade.......great bike that was. I believe the new owner is in North Shore? I've seen you a couple of times in the Northern Mway. Come up, I want to congratulate you.
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    Sold
    Good on you doing what pleases you Zed but the Blackbird will do well over 100kph in first gear (What will the blade do?) it all seems such a waste of the rest of the bike on NZ roads today. Enjoy! Cheers John.

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    where is the bird caged Zed? I won't mind a test ride.... did you find the bird too fat? slow? .... or? seeing I am being tempted to have a play with the birds....
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    Nice bike, looks much nicer than the ole bird.

Gotta lose that ugly stock pipe tho -
    It is what it is

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V

Thumbs up

Wow, you could knock me down with a feather...didn't see that one coming. Very nice replacement....same stable at least. Onya Matthew
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSX1300R
    omg zed! Well done..
    Where's the Busa's play-buddy now!
    It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put on a shirt and a button fell off.
    As I ran out the door, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off.
    Now I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

Bike
    Super Adventure 1290s, Bonnie T214
    Good luck with the pocket rocket Zed. Shame to see you leave the roost.
    This weeks international insult is in Malayalam:

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    I am being tempted to have a play with the birds....
    So you thinking about going straight Felix Just teasing mate. Would love to know what you got for the Bird Zed. I, like Felix, would love to play with one too
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    2010 Thruxton & 2013 Think Ion
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of Blackbirds, Did you know there is a Hawk the Japanese call the Hyabusa, That preys on Blackbirds...... I thought thats very cool! Thanks for the info Darkman.

Also, Congratulations on the new ride Zed. I know how much fun you're about to have!!! Good timing too.

Stunning Matt, Congrats!

Bike
    In between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    The Blackbird is a dry weight of 223kgs whereas the new Blade weighs in at a mere 168kgs!
    That's rather a light bike and not much heavier than my FXR at 118kg dry.
    Congrats on the new wheels.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    Should be a bit sprotier for you Zed....enjoy!

Thread Information