Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WANTED: 250cc 4 Stroke

Bike
    gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Nice bike, i am in the market for a 250 at the moment. Woyuld this be a suitible bike to learn on? Can you give me a general desc of the bike, any damage etc? KMs state of rubber, any mods or anything that has been replaced fixed? Does it have rego warrant, when do they expire? Some more pics would be great.
    Suitable? Sure, heaps of learners have them. Or do you mean LEARN as in, the absolute basics like clutch, balance, shifting gears? I wouldn't call it the easiest bike to learn on compared to a cb250 or something but people do it.

Bike:
    1989 zxr250, 29 and some thousand kms. Wof and rego for a few more months.

Good condition. I've had it about 16 months. Bought from Red Baron in Auckland. Haven't crashed it. Couple of stone chips, nothing serious.
    It's completely standard I believe apart from the green paint job Red Baron gave her.

Well serviced. 3 oil/filter changes since I've had it. Valves shimmed and new clutch at 20,000. New plugs. New chain. Rattling camchain fixed. Indicator flasher unit replaced. That's about it.

My tires seem to last fuck all, and this set are screwed. Front tire has enough tread in the middle, but the sides are buggered. Rear is just plain buggered.

PM me your email and I'll send you some pics tonight if you like.

I dont particularly want to sell it as I haven't got my full yet, but I leave for US/UK on May 21st.

Bike
    Aprilia SXV 450
    Quote Originally Posted by georgedubyabush
    Suitable? Sure, heaps of learners have them. Or do you mean LEARN as in, the absolute basics like clutch, balance, shifting gears? I wouldn't call it the easiest bike to learn on compared to a cb250 or something but people do it.

Bike:
    1989 zxr250, 29 and some thousand kms. Wof and rego for a few more months.

Good condition. I've had it about 16 months. Bought from Red Baron in Auckland. Haven't crashed it. Couple of stone chips, nothing serious.
    It's completely standard I believe apart from the green paint job Red Baron gave her.

Well serviced. 3 oil/filter changes since I've had it. Valves shimmed and new clutch at 20,000. New plugs. New chain. Rattling camchain fixed. Indicator flasher unit replaced. That's about it.

My tires seem to last fuck all, and this set are screwed. Front tire has enough tread in the middle, but the sides are buggered. Rear is just plain buggered.

PM me your email and I'll send you some pics tonight if you like.

I dont particularly want to sell it as I haven't got my full yet, but I leave for US/UK on May 21st.
    pmsg sent!
    hi =>

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    I know this thread has been done and overdone but once again if you are lerning go the way of the vtr250. You can get a more recent one for a lot less but if you want superior handeling/corning ability and silly amount of revs available you can't go passed the zxr/cbr. just be carefull if learning they have the ability to make you push the envelope as ofter as possible

Bike
    Aprilia SXV 450
    Quote Originally Posted by aff-man
    I know this thread has been done and overdone but once again if you are lerning go the way of the vtr250. You can get a more recent one for a lot less but if you want superior handeling/corning ability and silly amount of revs available you can't go passed the zxr/cbr. just be carefull if learning they have the ability to make you push the envelope as ofter as possible
    yer i have heard this, althou finding a CBR250R or RR for around 250 is a bit of a mish. Specuially from a retailer, they seem to chuck 2grand on everything.

Havnt heard much about zxrs, they do look good thou thats for sure, might google them and do some reading.

thx for the input
    hi =>

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Yeh even second hand private sales seem to start at 3k ish . If you want a demo i'm sure there are enough zxr250 riders around to just swing by somewhere, on the way home of course, and show you. You see there goes that primal urge to ride again . Hmm as for dealers don't even bother they start at around $4500 and go up till like $7000 and these bikes are older than 1995 but have low km's. Just be sure that if you are looking for a cheaper sportsbike get a mechanic to do a full test before purchace otherwise you could end up spending more on fixing the bike than what the bike cost

Bike
    Aprilia SXV 450
    http://bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBi...3098&Year=1990

theres a private sale hmm nice picture that one.
    hi =>

Bike
    08 Street Triple (black)
    NEW PLAN. yet again. lets hope this one goes through no problems...

I have my sights set on a ZZR250, 1995. Looks nice.. anyone here own one? What are they like? anything i should look out for when i go test ride it?

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Yep - 250 market is overpriced because of the false demand. Dealers know that learner riders typically know feck all about bikes and have to buy a 250 - so charge like wounded bulls for them.

Buy private and take someone along who knows bikes - this is your best bet to save money. It is relatively easy to spot if a bike has had a major off (swing arm, staunchion and frame scratches - as these are the most expensive bits to replace and are usually left)

Then - if you are anal - get a compression test done etc and you should be fine.

Even given the money you spend on this - you should be able to pick a bike up privately for considerable less than thru a dealer.

You have to remember for all the people who are looking for 250s there are also a lot a people who are upgrading off their Restricted who refuse to be rogered for the ridiculous trade in prices.

Bike
    08 Street Triple (black)
    hmm, i test rode the zzr250, 1995 model. its pretty nice, i didnt thrash anything really, havent ridden for a while so im scared to..

but i suspect the bike had been thrashed. i turned up to take it for a test ride, but it wouldnt start at all. we suspected he flooded it. he told me he hadnt started it for over a week......
    so i left, feeling kinda annoyed. then he called me back, his brother apparently used ether on the spark plugs or somthing, and that got it running.

If no one else has made an offer, im going to get the bike checked out by a motor bike shop up here in auckland. the bike is way up in north shore, and i live out west and work in central. (its gona be fun to organize )

Thoughts anyone? on how it wouldnt start? I suspect it would be just that over time the spark plugs got clogged up with shit, its at 33 000ks atm.

Thread Information