Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone own an XS1100?

Bike
    1979 Yamaha XS1100
    I've got a spare engine with clutch intact, and I'm sure I have a second complete clutch in one of my boxes of parts. The clutch that is in the engine was one I did 60,000 ks on, and although the plates were getting to the end of thier life, there were no rattles. The spare clutch is from a speedway sidecar and I'm not sure of it's condition. BTW, I have chain-drive converstion gear if anyone wants to have a go at a radical XS mod.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    Subike my flatmate is after a clutch basket, wouldn't happen to have one would ya? (it's a 79 xs1100, i dunno if one off other years will fit lol, he posted earlier in thread, please PM him if ya have one)
    I just got 2nd hand one at Brisons M/C Wreckers in Sydney-there pretty helpful, Try The ''Findapart'' site.

Bike
    78 gs550 suzi &1978 Yamaha XS1100
    Blog Entries
    I have one and its running I ride it to work and back mine is a 1978 XS1100. I was givein the bike got it going .

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Quote Originally Posted by xsryder View Post
    I've got a spare engine with clutch intact, and I'm sure I have a second complete clutch in one of my boxes of parts. The clutch that is in the engine was one I did 60,000 ks on, and although the plates were getting to the end of thier life, there were no rattles. The spare clutch is from a speedway sidecar and I'm not sure of it's condition. BTW, I have chain-drive converstion gear if anyone wants to have a go at a radical XS mod.
    That sounds interesting.got any pics?

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    yeap I got one
    79000k bit rough around the edges but still goes well,
    4 into 1 harris dump tube, would not call it a muffler by any streach
    Its had the cams change to someting but I have no idea
    and the carbs have been played with to what spec only god knows
    But it starts every time without a problem, still gets to 200 klicksand the rev counter loves sitting around 5000.
    A bitch to ride in the city but awsome on the open road,
    A heavy bike sure when I only weigh 65kg,
    great fun

im only 68kg and 165cm so I struggle too-had a bit of foam cut out of the seat. I can pick it up thou when I fall off pissed

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500

The XS1100s will live long and alway go faster

Quote Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
    im only 68kg and 165cm so I struggle too-had a bit of foam cut out of the seat. I can pick it up thou when I fall off pissed
    Fell off mine pissed at the last Southern K B rally last year.
    The buggers got me on vidio too......so.....if you want to see an old girl getting the snot taken out of her, and a bit of tyre smoke to boot , find the thread and take a look

xsryder

I am after the basket only, as one of the fingers has been broken off of mine by previous owner, the repair consisted of a large alloy rivit stuck in the hole... works ok, but because its not ballanced I get a transmission vibration at 100kph...this dissapears at 105kph....who needs a speedo when the bike tells you its going the right speed
    As for the basket, would be interested for sure, have you a price including courior?
    Would you have by chance, in that selection of parts, a 78 ignition vacume unit? I am after one of these.......must be 78 unit as it has a differing control ratio when compared to the latter (79-82) units

chrisso

I will be stating a thread soon on my ""Xsessive Project"" you will see my solution to the high seat position. Plus some other goodies that are to be done to my old girl. Pitty your clutch basket is in auzzie, the freight alone would be more than one I can acces locally.

ANYBODY!!
    Who Has Wrecked an XS 850 or XS 750?
    I am after a diff unit....not the shaft just the diff.
    I am also after a set of XS Special round clocks and a 80-82 fuel tank, preferaby in the south island...

Not after much am I
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100

Shes now an XS1100R

I tried welding the basket but no good, i think I paid $200 for 2nd hand one.
    Freight from Oz isnt too much for small items( I ship printer parts by DHL at work to NZ).
    Finished painting bike-tank etc off to Paint tomorrow for clear coat, new-2nd hand rear M/Cylinder plus cluthc actuator assembly parts that took 6 weeks to get here from Yamaha in Japan.Rego due now-fuggin Third Party insurance here is around $680 for a bike over 1000cc.
    I redid the XS lettering when sober & it came out better...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamxk2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	98574  

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    [chrisso

I will be stating a thread soon on my ""Xsessive Project"" you will see my solution to the high seat position. Plus some other goodies that are to be done to my old girl. Pitty your clutch basket is in auzzie, the freight alone would be more than one I can acces locally.

ANYBODY!!
    Who Has Wrecked an XS 850 or XS 750?
    I am after a diff unit....not the shaft just the diff.
    I am also after a set of XS Special round clocks and a 80-82 fuel tank, preferaby in the south island...

Not after much am I [/QUOTE]
    I could have a look around here if you want-I could get you freight & duty costs( if apllicable) if you like.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
    [chrisso
    I could have a look around here if you want-I could get you freight & duty costs( if apllicable) if you like.

Would much appreciate that chrisso.
    How do you find the mirors on the handle bars ends compare with the factory position?
    I have been looking at that idea myself, but was concerned that it would make the bike too wide for filtering ( I do that?)
    As for elding the basket, Tricky weld in CHCH said it was too small an area to get a strong weld onto, and would be no better than the rivit for ballance, so just go with the rivit! Bugger!!!!
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I think we must get together soom time take all the bikes out

Bike
    1979 Yamaha XS1100
    I'm going to be busy for the next few days, but after that I'll go through my boxes of goodies and post a list and photos of parts. I know I've got spares of the complete fuel/air system, but I want to hang on to some parts like vacuum advance until I get some issues sorted on my bike.
    Ever since I installed the new engine in my old bike it has never gone right. I have removed and re-installed XS engines plenty of times without any problems. It even spent 4 months at the local Yamaha dealership but they gave it back and said they couldn't trace the problem. Like me, they are mystified. It goes like a scalded cat up to 100kms but then loses power. Its got brand new inlet manifolds and carb diaphragms (there goes an arm and leg), the carbs have been stripped and balanced twice, I've tried 4-5 different CDI units, different coils, fuel cap un-latched, removed factory fuel filters and replaced with in-line, new fuel lines.....nothing makes a difference.
    There was some mention on a UK forum that the 79 and 80 had slightly different plumbing in the carb/advance area, but I couldn't find any difference.
    My bike and sidecar look and sound awesome, but I can tell you its damn frustrating to sit on a bike that you know so well and should go at least 220kms/hr, but it virtually dies if I open up the throttle at 100kms. Its economy is about 13.5kms/L which is about normal, so its unlikely to be flooding. When its cold it starts first time every time with choke for the first 30-60 seconds, then idles nice. The Yamaha guys tinkering gave me a little more top end, but now it doesn't idle as smoothly as it should when its hot. Its a bloody mystery, so if any one has any ideas, I'm all ears.
    (things I haven't tried; different fuel tank, running without airbox, running without seat, checking float levels myself--they might be evenly balanced but too low)

Bike
    GS850GT
    Quote Originally Posted by xsryder View Post
    Its a bloody mystery, so if any one has any ideas, I'm all ears.
    just wondering if you tried the plug chop at various throttle positions method
    Bruno

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Have you tride yamaha xs11s on google good web site thay helped me with my bike. You can down load pages to help .

Bike
    1979 Yamaha XS1100
    Hi psyguy,
    Not sure what you mean about "plug chop at various throttle positions", which means no I haven't tried that. The funny thing is that even though I am really familiar with XS1100s and could just about build one blind-folded, I'm not that clued up mechanically. To make things worse some prick ripped off my collection of workshop manuals (including CB400F and GT750 manuals) so I'm struggling to get information. I have a 1980 engine with 1979 carbs, and although I was told that this could be the problem, I se no obvious difference. It feels to me like there just isn't enough gas getting through. Sitting still the engine revs fine, and short burst of acceleration around town is also no problem. The problem starts when the acceleration is sustained or I accelerate at cruising speed. My brother suggested I look at the vacuum advance, but even though I had two different VA units that both seemed to work differently, neither made any difference.
    The guys at the local Yamaha dealership copped some flak from the UK forums, because it seems remarkable that qualified bike mechanics couldn't work out what was wrong over 4 months. They weren't even sure if the problem ewas related to fuel, air, spark or advance timing. If they couldn't figure it out, how am I going to.
    Check out my photo album to see pictures of my bike and chair. Its bloody nice, and great to be able to convert between bike and outfit, but frustrating that I can't get it to run right.

Bike
    GS850GT

in short...

a "plug chop" is where you put new plugs in and ride at different throttle positions - that correspond to the various internals in the carbs - to find out what internals may be at fault
    namely, the pilot jet, the needle, the main jet, the float levels

you kill the engine while riding at a specific throttle opening, take the plugs out and "read the plugs" to see if your condition is fuel rich or lean (or right)

the carbs have to be absolutely clean with no internal leaks (the carbs are best taken apart and soaked in a carb cleaning solution and the o-rings replaced)
    the rest of the intake system has to be well sealed as well - the air to the engine should be coming through the air filter(s) only

you need to have a good engine compression and a good spark for a proper fuel-related prob diagnosis
    Bruno

Thread Information