Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone own an XS1100?

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100

To Subike

ANYBODY!!
    Who Has Wrecked an XS 850 or XS 750?
    I am after a diff unit....not the shaft just the diff.
    I am also after a set of XS Special round clocks and a 80-82 fuel tank, preferaby in the south island...

You after all these for 750/850 right? These are the same for both models?
    as far as my mirrors go, I can turn them 90 degrees( they swivel on the stem) for lane splitting-Ive never had the std mirrors but ive replaced the chrome bar ends a few times-they seem to take the brunt when bike has a lie down....I pay about $30-40 buks for em-cheapo Chinese...

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100

The new paint scheme

A bit different
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    for you guys with XS1100's
    this site is worth joining
    so many tips , mod advice, trouble shooting, just ask a question and you will get several replys
    I have used this site for the past two years, and its great.
    There are links to on line workshop manuels
    Links to Mikes XS650 shop, where ome parts that fit the 1100's are available

http://www.xs11.com/index.shtml

Go into the forum, as thats the place where things happen
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
    ANYBODY!!
    Who Has Wrecked an XS 850 or XS 750?
    I am after a diff unit....not the shaft just the diff.
    I am also after a set of XS Special round clocks and a 80-82 fuel tank, preferaby in the south island...

You after all these for 750/850 right? These are the same for both models?
    as far as my mirrors go, I can turn them 90 degrees( they swivel on the stem) for lane splitting-Ive never had the std mirrors but ive replaced the chrome bar ends a few times-they seem to take the brunt when bike has a lie down....I pay about $30-40 buks for em-cheapo Chinese...
    the XS750/850 diffs bolt straight onto the 1100's and up the gear raitos giving better fuel ecconomy and with the right tuning a higher top end speed, the only downside is this makes the bikes slightly slower in accleration, not that you would notice!
    The clocks i am after are the round crome set that were fitted to the Midnight specials, As I have a 79 1100E std it has the square black clocks.

xsryder

You have the 80 carbs fitted to your 79 motor?
    from what i understand, and I could be wrong,
    The 80 motor had different carb jets, ignition vacume unit and camshafts to allow for fuel emmission laws, than the carbs/ cams / vacume unitfitted to the 79 motor. Is it possibile this could be causing the problem on your 79, a miss match of parts.
    If you can find a 78 vacuum unit, then use it, it has a 5* longer advance curve which allows the peak power to stay to 8900rpm, longer than the 8500rpm of the 79 and the 8350rpm peak of the 80-82 models.

Mixing of carbs/cams/exhausts/ignitions can cause more problems than keeping the std setup unless you have a dyno available for fine tuning. But in the end, unless you got to the 1173cc over bore kit, you will only gain 5p for all your hard work. The Excessive was built to he max limits of the motor from new, it is hard, unless turboed, to get much more out of them.

Bike
    78 gs550 suzi &1978 Yamaha XS1100
    Blog Entries
    And did i not say that . It is a good web site helped me get my bike running .

Bike
    1979 Yamaha XS1100
    subike,
    Thanks for your explanation, I think you're right on. If this is the case, then my problem is huge.
    My x partners husband put some shit in the oil reservior of my original bike (the rebored 79) and wrecked the engine. I bought a runner (1980) for the engine only, and that engine is about the only part I used in the rebuild, the rest of the parts are from my original 79 bike. The biggest problem is that if engine internals are different (cams) then this engine will never go right unless I completely strip the bike back down to engine and frame, and start rebuilding it again with all the 1980 parts, the worst parts that I've got. The Yamaha guys butchered the other set of carbs too, so it's possible that even carb parts are mixed up. I've spent over $6,000 rebuilding this bike and sidecar, and to be honest I'm ready to throw the towel in.

Bike
    BSA A10
    I'd be keen for one like this

Any one thought of doing a post classic race bike out of one? it'd make a nice change from the Suzuki and Kawasaki big bore bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS1100.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	98647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS1100.1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	98648  
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I'd be keen for one like this

Any one thought of doing a post classic race bike out of one? it'd make a nice change from the Suzuki and Kawasaki big bore bikes
    Thats my kinda XS11-not too over the top. I like how they kept the orig forks. Chain drive cool too.Big carbs-whats the biggest size you can take it out to without Cylinder liners??
    Subike-Ive put out a request on ''Findapart'' for your clocks & 750/850 diff.Didnt ask re-tank--freight would kill that.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Subike-Ive put out a request on ''Findapart'' for your clocks & 750/850 diff.Didnt ask re-tank--freight would kill that.[/QUOTE]

I got a reply from Shoalhaven MC Wreckers-'' motowreck1@bigpond.com ''
    they have a diff for $120*.They didnt say how much $ to ship to NZ. No respsonse yet on the clocks. *I lost the original email.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
    Subike-Ive put out a request on ''Findapart'' for your clocks & 750/850 diff.Didnt ask re-tank--freight would kill that.
    I got a reply from Shoalhaven MC Wreckers-'' motowreck1@bigpond.com ''
    they have a diff for $120*.They didnt say how much $ to ship to NZ. No respsonse yet on the clocks. *I lost the original email.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for doing that for me chrisso, have found a diff local, but may not use it yet as ratio is good for touring but im into hills at the moment.
    I have tracked down a 160mph speedo, Im bidding on at the moment, thats a hard bit to find.
    As foor the tank, I am going to check out a XS250 tank that looks like it will do better than I want for the lines Im trying to create

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500

A boast yehah

Well I am in the process of buying some bling for my Xsessive...
    And I have scored via Ebay auction, an Item I know ALL you xsessive owners would just love to fit to your rides.
    For the weee price of $117 NZD!

Here tiss

Name:	160mph speedo!.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	99010  

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Choice! Now youll have to errrr... warm up the motor so she'll do 160 mph.
    Im getting my tank, sidecovers & tailpeice back from the Painters today-6 coats of 2 pac clear over my new paint.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Redi to go

Name:	tankclear2xs1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	99467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tankclearnw9.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	99468  

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Looking good chrisso, looking good.
    Mines in a million bits in the shed right now!
    only things left on the frame are the wheels, engine and front forks.
    3 hours work from ride into the shed to stripped.
    Not bad for a lazy ole coote like me.
    Plans this week to be fitting the 93 Harley rear fender to the slightly modified frame...............

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    I joined the XS11Forum; Lotsa good shit-ive alreadt scored (for free) a set of rubber intake manifolds locally-& can geta nother tank to paint. Harley Fender would look cool-I can picture a Z900/1000 rear Fender too.

Thread Information