Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar

Tyres

Alright you fullas. It's time for some new tyres on the trusty SV. I'd appreciate peoples suggestions on this one bearing in mind that I enjoy track days, have a 70km daily commute and am planning 10 days touring the South Island at the end of this month. Is there a tyre that exists that would be suitable for all these conditions or am I dreaming?
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone19
    Alright you fullas. It's time for some new tyres on the trusty SV. I'd appreciate peoples suggestions on this one bearing in mind that I enjoy track days, have a 70km daily commute and am planning 10 days touring the South Island at the end of this month. Is there a tyre that exists that would be suitable for all these conditions or am I dreaming?
    hey pretty girl....glue 1000 used condoms together....in a circle....and mount them on a rim.... enough said
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    I'd ride anything, ;)
    yeah considering your "commute" involves half of the good out west roads...

oh and you should probably mention that you ride like a hoon...

Jill - Yoshi talked to the boys at cycle treads, told them what i rode bikes like that they sorted me out with some awesome tyres, and not very expensive either.. i think yoshi had words with them.
    Postie Play thing
    Normal Postal Services have now resumed and mail is being delievered Regulary.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    I'd forget about a sticky tyre for the track, and look at tyres that are a harder compound so you don't have to replace them next week! A lot of touring tyres give a good amount of grip, and the compound still gives them plenty of k's.. May be something like a 'sports-tourer' type of tyre could be ideal. I've got no experience with any tho, so can't recommend any brands. Get the names of a few good ones, then call around for the best price I guess

Bike
    you can get dual compound tyres with a harder compound in the middle and softer on the sides. it means that when commuting, you will not wear it out too much and when you are carving twisties, you got grip...
    Cibby play thing

Bike
    k6 750 :)
    Michelin Pilot Roads gave me lots of kms, fun on dry roads, safe in the wet (best i've had in the wet, me-thinks)

Pirelli Dragons also gave good kms, held on dry roads, didn't quite give me same 'safe feeling' in the wet.

Pirelli Diablo (rear) seems to be wearing ok; don't know if i need the extra sticky-ness.. I think i'll try the Diablo Strada next.

For 90% of us road users, sports-tourers do the job and then some...think i'll put Stradas on both ends; they'll be fine even on the KB trackday in March

Good luck, i'd be interested to know what you get/how much you hand over...
    "Fit a front tyre you love, and put something round & black on the back"
    Il Dottore

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Postie
    you can get dual compound tyres with a harder compound in the middle and softer on the sides. it means that when commuting, you will not wear it out too much and when you are carving twisties, you got grip...
    true...we can glue ribbed condoms along the sides for xtra grip
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos
    hey pretty girl....glue 1000 used condoms together....in a circle....and mount them on a rim.... enough said
    Umm Yeah. Something seriously wrong with that picture!
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos
    ribbed condoms
    work best when turned insideout, give yourself the pleasure....
    Cibby play thing

Bike
    Sold
    I ran two sets of Pirelli Diablo Strada's on my Blackbird and couldn't fault them. They are a sport/touring compound tyre and I was commuting daily, riding most weekends, and did 1 track day on them, brilliant!

Cycletreads, Takapuna. Mention you're a KBer Jill and they should do you a sharp price.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Pirelli's
    Diablo "Strada": Great for commuting! Specially for the SV. I had one of these on the back of my R1, and didnt have a 2nd thought about grip.

Diablo: Good Sport/Touring tyre (leaning more toward sport) Absolutley fantastic in the rain!

Diablo "Corsa": Great trackday tyre. Wont last too long, but will have more than enough grip while you do have tread. I run these on the CBR, Not one bad thing to say about these. Only good good good!
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    1999 SV650S
    How did your Z6 rear hold up at the track? I had a set of Z6's which I was really happy with but the back roasted itself at the track. I'd say that I've got a fair few Kg's on you though so maybe that was part of the reason. If you're pushing very hard on the road they will start to slip but they give you heaps of feedback. They're also easy to warm up and are pretty good in the wet. I'm a pretty big fan of them for road use.

I'm currently using a set of Metzeler M1's which have been to the track a few times. They don't start to fall to bits after a few laps of the track but for road use they do wear out a bit quicker. I'd imagine you'd really have to man-handle them to get them to slide out. At Pukekohe I was at full throttle in third at max lean and they felt safe as houses.

I think M1's are a bit cheaper to buy than Z6's. I'll probably go back to a Z6 after I finished off my M1's.

These are the only two tyres i've tried, haven't really felt the need to get something else.
    "They say that if I do bungy jumping too much, I might get brian damage."
    "I don't even know who Brian is"

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    For the record I think she is riding on a Z6 rear and M1 front

I heard that Pilot power / sport is really sticky... dono how long it'll last thou.

How many k's have you got on the bike now Jill? I think it was at 8'xxx k's that I put that set on.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    For the record I think she is riding on a Z6 rear and M1 front

I heard that Pilot power / sport is really sticky... dono how long it'll last thou.

How many k's have you got on the bike now Jill? I think it was at 8'xxx k's that I put that set on.
    yep, I'm on 19500km now so that means I've got 11500km out of them - shit that's good. That includes two track days, daily commuting and the rest...actually if the weather's good tomorrow I'll finish them off on the track at Pukekohe so that will be three track days.

Guess it helps being a light weight...
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    Thinking
    Two words Jill, Pirelli Diablo (not a corsa) that is what you need, the strada will not be adequate for the track days.
    I did 12000kms on diablos including two track days on my 03 636, ( im not that slow either), they performed well.
    trust me on this one mate, you wont be disappointed
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Thread Information