Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SV1000 vs Blackbird vs GSXR1000 K6 vs Hyosung 250GT - Finale

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121

SV1000 vs Blackbird vs GSXR1000 K6 vs Hyosung 250GT - Finale

Summary and thoughts
    At no stage did I get off one of these bikes and say "that is the bike I want!". I know Dman got off the K6 and was a bit lost for words. Perhaps he really likes 150HP bar stools? . Is it going to be like that? Am I going to get off a bike and know that its true love?

I loved the comfort of the 'bird. I think I could ride it all day...and still look cool. Cooler than on a nekid bike. I dont think it would be that great in town traffic. I dont think id like to lane split on it. I also think that riding up the Takas (where I ride at my 'limit') would not be that great. The 'bird is not near as nimble as the 'bag. But...for hooning about the Wairarapa it would be mint. Mint as. Presumably (havent checked bikepoint.co.nz yet) bang for buck they arent too expensive either. It seems to like my steering input a bit more than the SV did as well. I would also have to do something about the pipes. I dont actually know what a well sorted 'bird sounds like.

While I was sitting IN the 'bag, SV and 'bird, I was definitley on top of the K6. I cant say I really liked the sensation initially...but I got used to it. Whats the bike like in the rain compared to the 'bird? I still felt that I could ride it for a long time, but Dafe wanted it back. Stingy bugger if you ask me. Anyway...I think it would be ok long distance. Not as good as the 'bird....but ok.

Of all of them I enjoyed the aural sensation on the SV the most. I liked that rumbling sensation through the bike that the others didnt have. The 'bird was quite smooth. The GSXR quite buzzy through the pegs and bars. I dont know what rev range, but safe to say that it wasnt over 8k. Dafe didnt know what I meant until he rode it again and found it straight away. Sorry dude. I did wish that the SV would rev more though. Despite both the 'bag and SV having VTwins, the rev ranges are completely different. Whenever I have been watching bikes at the track I have liked the sound of inline4's zapping past. THEY sound like they are on their way to somewhere! I imagine myself doing this past the pussies driving their mothers tricked up WRX's on their way to the riverbank carpark on Thurs night. When I hear the VTwins going past I think they sound like they have just woken up but have a hang-over and arent really capable of much today sorry. While I know this isnt true, its still the feeling I get. The SV does sound fantastic when Im sitting on it though, but I do like a more revvy motor I think. Maybe something in between like a Hornet (11k rev limit like my 'bag)?

The 'bag? Ive seen pictures of my bike going straight ahead on the track up at Taupo (I turned corners dammit!!!) and it looked terrible. It looked like a WWII fighter. Im sure the frame looked like it could be made of wood. Each time I rode a different bike today, I was behind everyone else...momentarily. Each time I looked ahead, I saw what I thought was a farmer riding a farm bike. Holy cabbage trees!!! it wasnt a farmer, it was Dafe, or DM, or VT. Do I look like a farmer when Im riding? Looks aside my bike is great up to 100km. Chuck in traffic and youre wishing for a bigger bike. Ride around Welly city on a Saturday night and the bike is great...VTwin sounds reverberating against the buildings. Lined up against Mrs Smith's boy in his Mums WRX and youre wishing for a bigger bike again. Silly eh.

So...I think the next bike I need to ride is a supersport 600...not sure. Ill let you know. Volunteers?

Special thanks to Dafe, Darkman and Uncle B for the ride and rides. Im sure they were as nervous as I was . Sorry about the rambling folks...might have sounded coherent at the start but that was 3hours ago.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    apprently 900 Hornets does just over 10 seconds at the 1/4 mile.... think that is enought for "Mrs Smith's boy in his Mums WRX"

or a SV with pipes can out thump Mums WRX...

or a Gixxer thou or XX that can out run Mrs Smith herself... and scream like a banshee while at it.

think I am just as confused as u are... or how about we buy them all?

ps... I have a Gixxer 750 for sale... size of a 600 but with more ommpf!
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    apprently 900 Hornets does just over 10 seconds at the 1/4 mile.... think that is enought for "Mrs Smith's boy in his Mums WRX"
    Standing start I hope :-)

Bike
    Yeah...I saw that . Nice bike
    When we get our bikes sorted we should do a tour Z. The 'bird would be excellent for that I reckon.

Bike
    what kind of *** rides a k6 and doesn't want one???

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover
    Really dont want this thread to turn into PD but Im trying to think of a derogatory name with only three letters....'nut'?

This ***. A *** that has learnt to ride on an upright naked bike. True...smart money is on the K6.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover
    Yup got to agree...ridden many diffrent bikes and the K6 is in a class of its own!

Bike
    2010 Thruxton & 2013 Think Ion
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpackback
    Yup got to agree...ridden many diffrent bikes and the K6 is in a class of its own!
    Yeah, you could say that, but I'm picking you guys obviously haven't tried the Hyobag 250! It's a whole different league!

BTW! Fatjim....... Skelstar really really wants to try a Honda VTR Fireyawn! You're his only hope OB1-FJ-OB!
    Open your eyes, fast! - The Hyobag experience has arrived!

Bike
    Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    Really dont want this thread to turn into PD but Im trying to think of a derogatory name with only three letters....'nut'?

This ***. A *** that has learnt to ride on an upright naked bike. True...smart money is on the K6.
    With you on this one skelstar. I'm a naked bike convert and I've ridden a K6. I thought your write up was pretty good. As far as sportsbikes go the K6 is awesome but if you are getting off a naked bike it feels pretty alien. I'd be tempted to buy one but not convinced.
    I do think that you know when you find the bike that you want. It's a bit of everything that does it for you. The looks, the sound and the ride. Keep looking until you find that ride that fits.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I think Skelstar will feel at home on a V-Twin 1000. Whether the SV or the Fireyawn. They are similar enough bikes. I think personal visual appeal will be the ultimate decider! Just don't go on peer pressure. You need to buy what you want and just bare in mind, choose a bike you will not outgrow too quick.

Obviously I have been trying to create my own personal Wellington Suzuki Riders Club. So the SV would suit you fine!!!
    Having convinced one mate to buy the GSXR600 and convincing uncle of the GSXR1000 and now, Darkman %98 sure of the Gixxer 100 also!

Good honest write up on the review. Shame you didn't let rip on the bikes, however that would defeat the purpose of this review as it is really a virgin 250cc rider takes an unthinkable leap - read all about it! A ballsy experience for anybody in Skelstars position.
    I remember being shitscared of the size of a 400cc the first time I got off of the 250.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt

or a SV with pipes can out thump Mums WRX...

or a Gixxer thou or XX that can out run Mrs Smith herself... and scream like a banshee while at it.

think I am just as confused as u are... or how about we buy them all?

one lady rider!!!

erm....I mean riden like a lady owned it!!!

erm..I mean looked after well
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    ...momentarily. Each time I looked ahead, I saw what I thought was a farmer riding a farm bike. Holy cabbage trees!!! it wasnt a farmer, it was Dafe, or DM, or VT. Do I look like a farmer when Im riding?
    no you don't skel....your know where near as good looking....and farmers have much higher degrees of riding ability than townies
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Skel
    I'll go with dafe on this. I chose a vtwin because they're so easy to ride. I hadn't riden for 15 years but needed a big bike (you know why), but for different reasons as you. I tried some 4's but the older ones felt too big/wide and the newer ones where too life threatening.

Why are the vtwins easy to ride? Well the power comes on steadily, no matter where you are in the rev range. They might not feel quick or eager like a 4 but Skelstar, with your weight, you'll keep up with maddog off the line no worries, and you'll pull better out of the corners too.

So we need to tee up a testride? I'm pissed I didn't go yesterday now. Skel, give us a PM and we'll go from there.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim
    I'm pissed I didn't go yesterday now. Skel, give us a PM and we'll go from there.
    You Honda Fireyawn riders, take such missed oppotunities far too hard!!!
    Skel's ain't gonna bring the box of tissues over ya know! Then again, he's not a Suzuki rider, so you never know.......
    Perhaps you guys gonna get together with your box of tissues then! Aarrrgghh!

Damn, I'd rather meet a cabbage tree!

Bike
    i've owned a hyobag gt250! traded it on the first k5, yup, i can hear the cries in the cheap seats!! no wonder i'm on my third, but it's the rider and not the ride.

i wouldn't change a damned thing, except making sure i had the crash bungs on when i rode the k6 off the shop floor.................******.

Thread Information