Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Riders Day Out

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0

What time are we meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    OK, tentatively, this will be the meeting point.

Botany BP. Just across the road from Pak 'n Save and the Warehouse, next to Harvey Norman. Access from Chapel Road if you want.

If coming from city, head along the motorway, take the South Eastern Highway turn off, and once over Waipuna Bridge, turn right at traffic lights onto Ti Rakau Drive. That will take you all the way to Botany. Past Paradice Ice Rink on your left, through 2 traffic lights, next traffic light, turn left, and you are on Chapel Rd.
    Hey Gremlin, what time are you, Weasel and the others wanting to meet? Are you still wanting to take a ZX7R for a ride? Mt Edens have a couple of them at the moment.

Bike
    nothin
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos
    borrow hubbies SP1.......lmfao

yea why not. apparently he hands out the keys to any man and his dog.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by lia
    yea why not. apparently he hands out the keys to any man and his dog.
    he ain't let me ride it yet!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    nothin
    maybe cos he has ya already. you really should play hard to get for at least a little while

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishslayer
    Hey Gremlin, what time are you, Weasel and the others wanting to meet? Are you still wanting to take a ZX7R for a ride? Mt Edens have a couple of them at the moment.
    Time, we haven't decided yet, maybe mid morning. We will talk about it a bit on Sunday, and look at timing, how long the ride might take, so on.

Mt Eden now has one... I did test ride one, liked it so much, its not for sale anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Geeze, my wifey would love to do something like this!! She's dying to go 'rideys' with some others, pity we live in Wellington. Anyone in the Wellington area keen to pick up on this idea and take a few newer riders for a spin?

Bike
    '10 R1, '07 ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    * Legally she is allowed to ride on the road but FFS...a 750??? To learn on? I did tell her to just get used to handling round the yard to start with)
    I have never tried to teach anyone to ride before and to be honest I would devastated if anything should happen to her. I guess this is the kind of responsibility people feel when people bin on organised rides.?? Maybe:spudwhat:
    So how does one go about learning how to teach??
    It's a tough one alright. I must admit, my first bike I learnt to ride on was a Norton 850 commando. The benefit of learn on a big bike is I find them much more stable on the road, especially in windy conditions. The fact she is a more mature rider helps, with a mature head on her shoulders. I too was made to push my bike around for at least a week to get used to the weight. Make sure she knows where all the controls are without looking, last thing she needs to worry about once up and running. As we all know there is a lot to learn. Start with a fimiliar but quiet road, one she is aware of all the hazards. Ask her how different that road appeared on a bike as aposed to a car drive, this will highlight the differences of riding. The corner leaning, a big one. If she has been a pillion for some time thats a great help. Understanding the power and what it takes to pull it up is most important, and being happy to be a nanna on it for some time (tell her 20 years later I'm still the first to leave and the last to arrive, I handle the jokes, but hey, I'm still alive with all my bits attached!). Take it slow, but ride everyday possible. I've been commuting to work on the TL since I got it, and the benefit of riding it everyday far outways the flat spot I've worn out in the centre of my tyre. But I feel totally comfortable on my bike now. Best of luck
    View my new blog at www.girlybikes.blogspot.com
    Perfection is not something you should ever attain, but something to always strive for. For if we actually achieve our idea of perfection, is it then any longer perfect?

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    I hate to put a downer on this event because its a mighty fine effort to help out new riders.

BUT MotorRacer and Twosmoker tried to combine this on a ride down 22 last year. Small group suddenly became a group of fast, slow, medium. And although its great the faster guys want to come along and help out it kinda caused a few problems with numbers. More faster peps than wanting to learn.

I guess I am saying please learn from past KB experiences and restrict the ride to the ones you want to really help.
    IMHO

Bike
    XR600
    if i'm free ill gladly lend a hand.

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Duc-girl....Damn good advice! Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.
    Come to think of it, I learnt to ride on the road on a Katana 750 in AUCKLAND at the tender age of 17-18 so there's no reason why Avril shouldn't in Papamoa/Tauranga. She has not been a pillion that I know of...tried a few times to get my dad to get on the back but he's too chicken.
    I will try to remember all you comments when I see her tomorrow, if it's not raining.

Sorry Weasel....I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to get my head around teaching.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    Well I'll see who wants to help, then hold auditions as to who are the best riders, having a telephone poll at the end of each show to see how should be eliminated.

At the end we'll either have the safest riders, or the fattest, uglyest scary ones

Bike
    Honda St1300
    I would be happy to ride with you on this run and assist new riders free of charge.

Philip McDaid
    Chief Instructor - Riderskills

http://www.riderskills.co.nz

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Riderskills
    I would be happy to ride with you on this run and assist new riders free of charge.

Philip McDaid

Good on ya, and welcome to our little world

Yeah MD, I was thinking something the same. some record that was set for that n00b ride. But worked well. Just have to organize it well

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Riderskills

Philip McDaid

That's very generous of your philip, thank you kindly.

Ironically so far I've had more offers from experienced riders then I've had requests from inexperienced ones

Plenty of time to get more people together...

I'll be taking a run over there on the weekend, so will see what the track ( ) is like and where we can set meeting points.

Thinking about going the full 9 yards, little printouts and shit... will see

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    you might find that a lot of people will decide on the day. I had a ride where I expected 12 to turn up. 38 bikes rolled up in total.
    Equally, I thought I was going to have a nice number for one ride, around 10. I got 3... Organising a ride is like a boax o choclots..

Thread Information