Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Riders Day Out

Bike

New Riders Day Out

In light of the number of accidents on the roads recently, I'm putting together a newbie rider training day kinda thing.

If you feel your riding could be improved by watching / listening to other riders then please come along for a fun and informative day out.

If you're an experienced rider, and think you have knowledge to share then please also join us. Sharing what we know may help reduce the road toll for all of us.

Please note, this will be a SLOW PACE RIDE. There will probably be two sets, one doing around the 70kph mark, with another more confident group around 100kph.

Ride will be Clevedon-Kawakawa-Kaiaua on Sunday 29th January, meeting out at the BP in Botany Downs (just round from K-Mart). Meet at 10am for a 10:30 departure.

Those that wish to attend please register using the calender event.

Bike
    Ok folks. With the number of accidents that have been happening of late, and with the unfortunate departure of Scott Carpenter I feel compelled to do something about the riding that is taking place here.

From experience the basic handling test in New Zealand is a complete joke, people are leaving the car park with a piece of paper that says they are allowed to ride on the roads and absolutely no idea of how to do it properly, let alone safely.

As harsh as this may seem, and although I don't have all the information, the fact that Scott was a new rider, and had only been on a bike for less than a few weeks makes me wonder if perhaps the testing and licencing in NZ was a bit more practical based then he would still be with us.

So in a desire to not read of any more accidents (or worse) on these forums I propose a new riders instruction outing.

Whilst I certainly don't know anything there is to know about riding (does anyone?) there are many people on here that have been riding for years and could perhaps impart some of this knowledge in a relatively safe group environment.

What I would like to do is have as many experienced riders there as possible who could pass on advice to the newer riders, in the aim that this advice may save broken bones and perhaps even lives. These riders would ride within the pack keeping an eye on whichever newer riders are around them so that when we stop they can pass on anything they may have noticed, ie;

- took a corner a little too close to the centre line
    - overtook when couldn't see round the corner
    - following too close behind another bike / car

I've been told that the Wellsford ride might be a good one for this, fairly quiet roads, SH16 has apparently been resealed and is now a joy to ride.

One thing I want to make clear on this ride is that it will be Slow pace. If you're looking for an all out ride (yes I enjoy them too) then this is not for you.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for the ride, or would like to turn up then please either PM me or post below.

I was thinking of the 30th Jan for this one, as it's a Bank Holiday, either that or the 29th which is the day before (Sunday).

If the government doesn't see it as necessary to ensure that all new riders have the skills they'll need to stay alive on our roads when they start to ride, then perhaps we as a community should take on the job ourselves, lest we have to open another book of condolences.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    its awefully quiet weasel... have you got any pms to work with??

Although we don't know how many newbies would turn up yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    response has been limited... perhaps most (but not all) people here are all talk.

I'll be out on the 30th taking my bro for a ride so if anyone else fancies it then drop me a line.

Bike
    SUZUKI road & Kawasaki race bike
    If its a go, i'll come along for a ride... Sunday of anniversay weekend could be a go..
    Taking it to the track thanks to: KIWIBIKE INSURANCE & PIRELLI TYRES, EXPERIENCE MOTORCYCLES, EBC Brakes, SUPERSPROX Sprockets, TSUBAKI Chains, RST Leathers, REPSOL Oils, FutureGrafix, Autolink

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    *Watching tumbleweeds blow thru thread*
    I know what you mean Weasel...my dad has bought my step-mum an old GSX750 and she phoned me & asked if I'd give her some lessons
    She told me she's had her full bike licence for 35 odd years and wants to learn to ride on the road. Legally she is allowed to ride on the road but FFS...a 750??? To learn on? Now I'm really REALLY worried about her. I haven't got over to Papamoa to see them yet or what condition the bike is in. I would rather see her get some road experience on a much smaller bike first. (btw she hasn't ridden it yet, I did tell her to just get used to handling round the yard to start with)
    I have never tried to teach anyone to ride before and to be honest I would devastated if anything should happen to her. I guess this is the kind of responsibility people feel when people bin on organised rides.?? Maybe:spudwhat:
    So how does one go about learning how to teach??
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    thats a bloody good idea Weasel,

and something that should be considered by all the KBs from the other centres around the country & held on a regular basis if things were done right & not the decline into a sprint type ego stroked blast.

the majority of new riders bust their guts to actually get on the road & some do it solely on their own without support & if some of us spent some time giving advice & pointers to them, accidents and tragic losses like Scott's could be minimised or reduced significantly.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R
    the majority of new riders bust their guts to actually get on the road & some do it solely on their own without support & if some of us spent some time giving advice & pointers to them, accidents and tragic losses like Scott's could be minimised or reduced significantly.
    My point exactly...

So I want to try and get some idea of people that want this to go ahead.

If you are a new rider and think you could do with some advice / pointers then post up here... there's nothing to be ashamed or embarassed about, you might just learn something you'll need soon.

If you're someone that things they have things to share (other than STDs and rude words) then please either post or PM so I can get an idea of group size.

Cheers,

Bike
    FOR SALE

Thumbs up

I take my hat off to you this is such a good idea.I can't come on this one shoulder still in sling but i would be interested in furture rides. Because if i could save one person from having there arm in a sling or worse with a little bit of knowledge then it was was worth it

Bike
    Suzuki SV 650
    I would be interested but live south. Would you be planning on anything this end of Auckland?? I know my limitations and Wellsford doesn't even come close!!!!
    No day is so bad that it can't be fixed with a nap

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    *Watching tumbleweeds blow thru thread*
    I know what you mean Weasel...my dad has bought my step-mum an old GSX750 and she phoned me & asked if I'd give her some lessons
    She told me she's had her full bike licence for 35 odd years and wants to learn to ride on the road. Legally she is allowed to ride on the road but FFS...a 750??? To learn on? Now I'm really REALLY worried about her. I haven't got over to Papamoa to see them yet or what condition the bike is in. I would rather see her get some road experience on a much smaller bike first. (btw she hasn't ridden it yet, I did tell her to just get used to handling round the yard to start with)
    I have never tried to teach anyone to ride before and to be honest I would devastated if anything should happen to her. I guess this is the kind of responsibility people feel when people bin on organised rides.?? Maybe:spudwhat:
    So how does one go about learning how to teach??
    hmmm thats a bit ask.... to ask of you..
    Maybe get a group of the guys in Tauranga to go with you to help you give her some lessons...
    But you are right ... getting onto a 750 after so many years..is scarey.

She wants to learn on the ROAD.... did she never ride a bike in the first place except to get her license 35 years ago.?

If thats the case then she needs to get a GN250 or a VIRAGO 250 cruiser to learn on...

Good on her for wanting to get back out there riding again.. thats great to hear.. but she should be facing reality like you say and start off on a smaller bike... not jump into the deep end..

All the best in teaching her... a little at a time... up to the local school grounds or a empty car park.. for a hour at the most to start off with...
    teach her all the basics first... and please make sure that her helmet fits her correctly.. and she has decent riding gear.. as i know you would do this..

Good luck...

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Its up to the ride "captain" (tell me a better word and I'll use it) to keep the ride under control and at a pace suitable for newer riders.
    They need the strenth of personality to lead and once leading control the more out there riders.
    I'd sugggest a ride to wellsford or even the crushed Pipi in Mangawhai
    Make sure there are designated stopping points along the way
    Usual stopping places being -shell at end of the NW motorway.Kaukopakopa gas station. The lookout on SH16 and The gas station at wellsford
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    If it goes ahead and I'm not working I'll come along on the BMW and ride at the back. That should help stop idiot cagers cutting in on the newbies.And I ride slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow
    I would be interested but live south. Would you be planning on anything this end of Auckland?? I know my limitations and Wellsford doesn't even come close!!!!
    If can get into the CBD then it's all nice relaxed group riding from there. Making sure we have enough time at stops to regroup properly and get some tips / tricks out to people for the next leg.

Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY
    Its up to the ride "captain" (tell me a better word and I'll use it)
    I was thinking, 'Lord', or perhaps 'Chief'?

Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY
    keep the ride under control and at a pace suitable for newer riders.
    They need the strenth of personality to lead and once leading control the more out there riders.
    Well I'll have my little brother on the ride, and he's restricted to 70kph, so if anyone wants to start going faster / dicking around then they'll be politely asked to calm it down or take it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    If it goes ahead and I'm not working I'll come along on the BMW and ride at the back. That should help stop idiot cagers cutting in on the newbies.And I ride slow.
    Good on ya, hope to see ya there.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I see your point re your bro--Issue as I see it is the proposed ride is on open roads ie 100km/h roads. May present problems with cagers at the speed limit wanting to get past say 20 bikes all doing 70km/h
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information