Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: for the Virago brigade

Bike
    Softail Deuce
    Based on all my research over the past couple of months I'd say that a 98 with less than 30k's @$8k would be a good buy as 99 may have been the last production year for the virago 1100. a real mint one owner sold on Trademe for $10200.
    You can get 1100's for around $4,500 as "virago" says if the km's are above say 80k's. anything below just relates to condition. I don't know what is happening with the the Alexandra one that didn't reach reserve@$6k on trade me recently. It had done 28k and I think was a 93. There is one for sale in Hamilton blue 93 with 67km's and the guy selling there wont take less than $6900 it is a nice tidy machine and I almost went for that one..apart from the price.Thats why I jumped on this black 91 with around 12km's. Yes it needs a bit of a tidy up but as it turns out the guy who sold it to me for $5,500 previously owned my wifes car unknown to all of us until later in the discussions and he was obviously fairly careful with that.[ what are the odds of that, were in waikato and hes in Lower Hutt.]
    The market for these 1100 has just got a bit busier again. Just a month or so ago mostly intruders were cropping up. I like those babies as well. at the end of the day both these cruisers will be classics and I could live with either.I have had fast on my previous GPZ900 but feel that in today's crazy police state the sports bikes will get you walking real fast. Also the roll on power of twins is much sweeter than the twitchy snatchy ballistics performance from high power 4's in my opinion. Ok you can't fang em in the corners but with all the cowshit still gettin on the seal and the state of our roads now you gotta have balls to go hard out.
    Those new Yami v stars look cool as well and are longer wheel base, but the costs to purchase is much higher and theres no way they look as bad ass as a mild chopper. If I do get bored with the handling of my XV I would most likely change to SV1000 Suzuki those twins are the bomb in their market segment. If I find the handling too soft I will increase the oil weight in the front shocks first up that often helps. The 1400 Intruders would look better with twin disc brakes as well, that single disc may be effective but it cheapens them up a bit dont ya think.

Bike
    none
    Linkage.

Not a bad looking beast if I do say so myself lol. Ha bars imaler to the ones I have on mine now. Stock pipes though lol

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Softail Deuce
    yo Waylander can you do me a favour and measure the width of the casting on the lower front of your motor, where your pegs attach. The first thing I do with my bike when I get it will be to put highway pegs on. There are some Harley ones on trade me and I'm wondering if I can adapt them to suit.
    Gotta have two foot positions as it makes it more comfortable on long rides. I wonder if XV 750 pegs would bolt on as well. That'd give me three foot positions. My XV 750 had highway pegs and combined with the standard pegs it was a primo setup.
    Cheers

Bike
    none
    In all honesty mate, you don't need them. I'm 6'3" and hardley ever put my feet up on them even on long runs. Hmm.... an idea comes into my mind...

How much are the harley ones?

Sever
    Now and forever

Bike
    Softail Deuce
    Whats that measurement then, and you'd better send me a picture of yours.
    They want too much of course. Wonder if Ian has found a taker for his blue 93 yet.
    Cu

Bike
    none
    Didn't measure. Had dinner then got roped into playing a game of uno when I would rather have just gotten in the shower and gone to bed. (very busy at work today, feels good doin the work, not so much at days end lol)

Will get it done tomorrow. Measure it at work where I have a tape measure that reads in MM rather than inches.

Sever
    Now and forever

Bike
    none
    The top mount measures to be 177mm from the inside of the brackets, and the bottom one is 80mm. Get the pictures up in a bit. Dinner is ready and I'm hungry lol.

Sever
    Now and forever

Bike
    Softail Deuce
    Thanks for those measurements.
    Any of you guys running aftermarket or other exhausts. Are Harley ones interchangeable. I'm expecting my stock exhausts to look a bit rough from a scrape. Should know Monday when my ride turns up. The guy I bought mine off has bought a metalic green 98 Vulcan nomad from Welly mc's. looks like a moving piece of art from the 30's.Nice bike, pity it won't be as reliable as a Virago long term.

Bike
    none
    Cobra make a set of slip-ons. They replace the exhaust colection box inside the centre-stand and makes them straight 2-2 pipes.

That's what I have on my bike and apparently you have to jet the carbs to get the full effect of them and not worry about damaging the engine.

It's what I have on my bike though I didn't put them on.

Sever
    Now and forever

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Just to expand on what Waylander said, the stock Virago pipes are a "two-into-one-into-two" system, with the two header pipes feeding into a collection box under the bike, then feeding into the two tail pipes.

There's a variety of after-market pipes available, most of which do away with the collection box (as mentioned). The Cobra Slash-cuts are a popular choice.

For pipe positioning and mounting, you need to get Virago specific pipes, as far as I know HD pipes won't fit without serious modification.

If you want to make the stock pipes a bit louder, they can be de-baffled. Send a PM to The Preacher for details, he had his modified, and it sounds good.

If you do get custom pipes, don't go for pure "drag" pipes. Before I bought my 1100, I tried out a 750 Virago which had drag pipes. Mrs V waited outside the shop for me, I rode 4 blocks away form the shop and she reckoned she could hear it the whole way! Seriously too loud!
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago
    If you do get custom pipes, don't go for pure "drag" pipes. Before I bought my 1100, I tried out a 750 Virago which had drag pipes. Mrs V waited outside the shop for me, I rode 4 blocks away form the shop and she reckoned she could hear it the whole way! Seriously too loud!
    Hmm... Where do I get those?

If it's too loud you're too old lol.

Sever
    Now and forever

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Cheeky bastage....

You mean these - also available from Cobra....

Actually the ones on the 750 were actually modified from HD drag pipes, and not very professionally done either.
    Last edited by Virago; 4th September 2008 at 23:19.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    none
    Ick, nevermind. Those are ugly. I'll stick with what I got now, just need to get them rechromed.

Sever
    Now and forever

Bike
    BMW K75
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago
    forget about the noise factor, the lack of back pressure means even with rejetting the carbs your bike will run like shit most of the time until you hit about that magic rpm where the tuned length actually works, which is why they are known as drag pipes

Bike
    Softail Deuce
    Need to draw the preacher in to this. His pipes look good and sound good. How does the bike run with the reduction in back pressure. Biketranz hope to come through with my bike today. Initially I was expecting it late yesterday. They must run a tortured path up the country, picking up and dropping off. and now its supposed to be showers and rain for three days. Ouch

She has turned up 7am this morning and its all good. Few cosmetics, but nothing of any concern.
    Only had a 20km ride today other commitments as well and I couldn't get into the groove with these crazy monsoon showers. The windscreen is off already, not sure that I need it. So far seem to be looking all around it but not through it.
    The pipes oh the pipes, have to be tweaked it sounds far to civilised. Something will have to be done. Insured it 3rd party only through National auto. The premium looks to be around $160 but will have that confirmed when it arrives in the post. Full was around the 5 hundy mark. Biketranz were ok,held up by the carnage on the m way yesterday.

Thread Information