Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NC30 Electrikery

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by FzerozeroT
    or the pipe from the tank to carb could be kinked, you can check the resistance between plug caps on each coil, do you have the workshop manual? download from www.400greybike.co.uk
    if you get real stuck I have the haynes manual you may borrow.

Bike
    2003, Yamaha, YZF R6

Problem

Your description is exactly the same as what was happening to my bike. After taking it in to be looked at (I gave up wasting time myself) it has turned out to be a faulty R/R which has fucked the alternator and apparently burned out some of the loom aswell..... but your description of the issue couldn't be anymore similar to mine......

Bike
    written off GPX250
    had the exact same prob on my gpx, only had this problem when I was low on gas, I thought it was electrical too.
    Once I filled up the tank, problem gone; I've found keeping the tank topped up is a good thing.

Hope this helps?
    Young & dumb!

Bike
    1992 VFR 400r NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by LXS
    had the exact same prob on my gpx, only had this problem when I was low on gas, I thought it was electrical too.
    Once I filled up the tank, problem gone; I've found keeping the tank topped up is a good thing.

Hope this helps?
    sorry, its not linked to how much gas is in the tank.

the bugger now is that my bike thinks it's a triple all the time
    i'd better keep it away from those blardy trumpy things

m/m
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrider
    Stay away from busses on a bike. You're gonna lose.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    One thing it could be is one of the cdi pickups breaking down. Happened on my brother's cb650 many moons ago.

Bike
    2003, Yamaha, YZF R6
    When you find the problem - let us know Silly bikes...

Bike
    1992 VFR 400r NC30
    still no joy, its still running on three cylinders
    hey vegan what ended up getting replaced on your bike after all that?
    you said the actual loom was damaged - to what degree?
    m/m

Bike
    2003, Yamaha, YZF R6

Yo

Well, funny thing is .....my bike is STILL in the shop. Went in around xmas, so I thought i'd have it back mid jan. But the rewinder apparently fucked up and didn't tell the shop it was screwed(the alternator - eveidently has been rewound once before) and couldn't be fixed (which apparently is not a problem because they just source another for nothing or almost nothing - the bike shop - not the rewinder). So at this point in the game I am yet to have my bike back. But I was told that R/R was fucked....alternator....and at least some of the loom - to what degree, he was not sure when I last spoke to him.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan
    But the rewinder apparently fucked up and didn't tell the shop it was screwed
    Pfft lazy arse, should of rewound it yourself like I did, only took a few days!

Bike
    2003, Yamaha, YZF R6
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    Pfft lazy arse, should of rewound it yourself like I did, only took a few days!
    Or I could have....NOT rewound it myself....although.....apart from the fact I don't know what the fuck I am doing - it would probably still have been quicker.

Bike
    1992 VFR 400r NC30
    anyway...im starting to suspect its the CDI. does anyone have a spare one lieing around that I could borrow for a couple of days in order to verify/nulify this suspicion?
    oh and btw its cylinders 2 & 4 that are dissapearing
    I had a wonderful ride home from pukekohe this arvo...pushing the bike about 50% of the time in the pouring rain and gusts...
    cheers to sudeep (motoracer) who stopped to check if i was ok...rep to that man!

this sucks, of all the four stroke bikes i've owned ive had nothing but trouble from them, I might as well have bought a friking two stroke for all the bloody money i've spent

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Your local auto electrician will be able to load-test the spark plug leads to see if the core is cracked. My guy does it for free 'cos it only take 2 minutes - big ups for Jim at Cascades Auto Electrical :-) If it is cracked it will open up now and again as the lead wobbles around from vibration, causing an open circuit and hence no spark to that one plug. They should also be able to test the coil.
    The other easy way to test if the leads / coil are shot is to swap on different leads / coil ONE AT A TIME until the problem disappears, thereby proving or disproving the existing items.
    There are 2 types of basic spark plug leads - copper, and silicon. The original type has a spiral wound copper/nickel core. The newer type has a silicon or silicon-impregnated carbon core. I think you used to also be able to get carbon core. The problem with these is that with the lead flopping around, the carbon core eventually fractures.

Bike
    2003, Yamaha, YZF R6
    is the bike misfiring 100% of the time? Mine would start fucking up around 2 mins into my ride....and which point I had to keep the revs ultra high to keep it from stalling.....but most of the time I just broke down and waited an hour before riding the bike straight home.....either way - broken bikes SUCK!!!!

Bike
    1992 VFR 400r NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan
    is the bike misfiring 100% of the time? Mine would start fucking up around 2 mins into my ride....and which point I had to keep the revs ultra high to keep it from stalling.....but most of the time I just broke down and waited an hour before riding the bike straight home.....either way - broken bikes SUCK!!!!
    no...my one is impossible to pick when it starts missing
    but it sometimes will last 100 metre down the road
    other times i can go a couple hundred k's b4 any trouble
    and _usually_ if i leave mine for 5 - 6 min it will go fine again
    m/m

Bike
    1992 VFR 400r NC30
    ok...so I mananged to corner my bike while it was running on three cylinders, (its seem to fix itself as soon as I get near it with a socket/screwdriver) so I quickly whipped off the tank and set about pulling leads off to see which made a difference, (cylinders 2 & 4 are the troublesome pair) I found that pulling lead number 4 off didnt affect performance at all but pulling lead number 2 off made it run on two.
    So I then put another plug I had lying around into the lead and hey presto I have spark - maybe the problem is fuel related, any ideas poeple? And please no-one say pull the carbs off, I've already done that once and dont really feel like doing it again *sob*

m/m

Thread Information