Thread: Irony

Bike
    Registered. For now...

Irony

Yesterday saw three events on: Westpac Helicopter Charity Ride, Post Classics at Puke and Battle of the Streets at Gisborne. As I have failed to master the art of being in more than one place at once, I tossed a three-sided coin and went to the Posties. Good day apart from the crap weather and the fact that most people (racers) went to Gisborne... And there were about seven spectators - still, it made for great photo oppportunities.

Unfortunately, and perhaps ironically, the Westapac helibird was required to attend the Posties after a MacIntosh rider (Mitchell???) lost his front end under brakes going in to the hairpin. Fortunately, he came to (was out to it) and is OK, but the bike suffered a bit having done some acrobatics of its' own once riderless.

Then I went home to find the Kaimai road closed due to a fatal car smash a couple of K's past my abode, so I managed to get home, albeit for 5 Km on the wrong side of the road past all the back-logged traffic. Had to feel for the poor buggers with a car load of kids stuck in the queue in the rain for four hours. Damn, bikes are good!

Bike
    2000 Ducati 900SS
    The clash of dates is not good and needs sorting out.  I had a great time at Pukekohe - thanks for the photos SpankMe. 

Billy Mitchel's crash was a bad one.  I saw the disaster unfold from a vantage point on the back straight.  I had broken down in the previous race so watched the next race (Pre '82 Open) from the kink.  Billy lost the front end under braking and went down.  He was travelling pretty fast, probably braking from about 250kph - I am doing 200kph on my Pantah at that point before I start braking.

I saw Billy's bike slide down the track towards the hairpin then across the grass.  It still had a lot of momentum and threw up a lot of dirt.  Billy took a long time to come around.  I hope he gets well soon.

Apart from Billy's crash the meeting ran well.  It was good to see some of the National Chapionship contenders riding some extremely rapid Post Classic bikes.

The NZPCRA will be reviewing what to do for next years event as I think some changes are necessary.

I've got to sort out why my bike is stuck in a false neutral between 4th and 5th gear.  Next meeting is Taupo in March

the duke #8 
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gridpre82junb.jpg 
Views:	1876 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	68  

Thread Information