Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harley reliability.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Well Harley should just about have it right now. After all they been building the same bike for about 90 odd years

Bike
    2008 Ducati 1098
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    I run the rentals at AMPS, for those that don't know. The bikes are 1 - 2 years old and average 2000 - 3000 k's per month. In nearly 2 years the sum of failures has been 2 broken drive belts through stones getting trapped in them. Plus one mysterious case of a clutch cable coming loose and wearing a hole in the oil filter. This wasn't a mechanical failure, someone had loosened the clip.
    What's made me mention this was an English guy on a tour from ChCh, he and a mate have the only two Harleys. All the others are on Beemers, ALL the Beemers have had some sort of problem during the tour - Harleys nil.
    I was chattin to a guy the other day who has 2nr new Ducati's one 999r the other his everyday bike a 998monster, I asked him how he was gettin on etc, having the craic and he said he had a harley wide glide for 3weeks brand new out of the box, took it back to the Harley shop for an oil leak it had a porous engine casing, and was told it would take 8weeks to mend, he told them to keep their bike and give him his money back and went for the Duc's, now that was a close call.

They should stick to the old days and massey fergusson engines, sums up a harley.
    If someone passes you he is a nutter and you expect to pick him off the blacktop round the next corner, if you pass someone they are a slow and have all the gear and no idea

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by sennandy
    I was chattin to a guy the other day who has 2nr new Ducati's one 999r the other his everyday bike a 998monster, I asked him how he was gettin on etc, having the craic and he said he had a harley wide glide for 3weeks brand new out of the box, took it back to the Harley shop for an oil leak it had a porous engine casing, and was told it would take 8weeks to mend, he told them to keep their bike and give him his money back and went for the Duc's, now that was a close call.

They should stick to the old days and massey fergusson engines, sums up a harley.
    me for one, am glad they didn't or else the Buell never would have been... and that would have been a huge shame for me.
    So does he think italian bikes are reliable then?
    Sorry mate i know 2 people that have made warrenty claims in new eyetie bikes, one 3 so far, the other 2... seems to be a common thing with bikes that have a bit more individual attention when built
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by sennandy
    'All' brands have the odd rotten apple in the barrel mate....... even Suzuki had a problem with the k5 frames, SV water leeks, VTR cam chains... mate list goes on, so what ya mate got a dodgy Hog, my new Itialian bike has had 3 warantee clams and 1 break down in 6000k's........... thats motoring for ya
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    thats interesting reading dangerous,i have a few mates with older guzzis and they keep on keeping on with no problems,out of interest were they very serious problems or just niggly annoying things?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls
    thats interesting reading dangerous,i have a few mates with older guzzis and they keep on keeping on with no problems,out of interest were they very serious problems or just niggly annoying things?
    Guzzi probs..... older bikes have been sorted by now (dodgy wiring) but ECU controled bikes have a few extra probs, nothing big relays need replacing and I had a speedo cable bust (pissed Iti hadent had enough Coffee in the morning after a night on the Vino) and put the wrong one in.... the other isent a Guzzi prob as it was the Ohlins fork seal leaking.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    good looking bike i reckon,hows it go through somewhere like the hundalees,i only ask as i am from up that way and its a great bit of road,the only guzzi i ever rode through there was a 1100 sport found it nice and torquey,i could just about own a guzzi i reckon its just that i like my vtwins facing the other way.

Bike
    Prefer Buell but not a snob
    Generally speaking Harleys ARE reliable, but like any brand there will be the odd lemon. Hey I don't mind admitting that I have heard of quite a few Buells that fall into the Lemon category (mines 1 of the good ones!!!) but when you consider the sheer number of units that Harley produces per yr I think their successes outweigh the failures... Lou? you would have an idea of those stats??
    ...it is better to live 1 day as a Tiger than 1000 years as a sheep...

Bike
    BMW K75
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls
    ,i have a few mates with older guzzis and they keep on keeping on with no problems
    strange I had a guzzi once, most unreliable piece of junk I have ever owned

compared with the iron sporty I had had previous to the guzzi the harley was more reliable, had better gas mileage, higher top speed, better acceleration

guzzi had better brakes but it usually broke down before you needed to use them anyway

problems with the guzzi shrunk in sleeve in the rear wheel to hold the bearings in place unshrunk itself, two piece mainshaft in geasr box decided to grow and push a gear out into the gearbox casing

have a friend who has the misfortuine to own a new breva, its now almost 3 years old and still having warranty claim after warranty claim, he should have bought a sportster and if the guy in the shop had told him about the rubber mount sporties due out the next month he would have bought one instead of the breva he now has

Bike
    2000 BMW F650 Gelande Strasse Baby
    Having worked in the automotive industry for my first 6 years of work (mechanic at Schofields) I learnt that no matter what badge is on a car (and bikes are the same) you will always get dodgy ones. Mass production + budgets + human involvement means there will always be a percentage of "dogs" rolling off the assembly line and that it's unfair to write off a whole brand because of it.

On a different note; a while back I was looking at buying another bike and was thinking about Harleys. In the end I decided that it wasn't what I wanted BUT the thing that really struck me was the totally negative, derogatory comments I got from biker mates when I mentioned Harleys.

Once they had wiped the rabid foam off their mouths I asked them one question, "have you ever actually RIDDEN a Harley??"... and they ALL said no!

Funny how some people allow others to dictate their opinion on things, things they personally have no experience of.

Personally I like Harleys, I just think they are overpriced for what they are, which is no reflection on the bikes themselves.
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself...and spiders.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyprier
    Once they had wiped the rabid foam off their mouths I asked them one question, "have you ever actually RIDDEN a Harley??"... and they ALL said no!

Funny how some people allow others to dictate their opinion on things, things they personally have no experience of.
    So so true. Don't knock it til ya try it I reckon. Know a guy who was Ducati mad and 1 day 1 of his HD riding friends said why don't you try a Hog?. Ducati sold, now happily getting around on a Nightrain. And LOVING it

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by buellbabe
    So so true. Don't knock it til ya try it I reckon. Know a guy who was Ducati mad and 1 day 1 of his HD riding friends said why don't you try a Hog?. Ducati sold, now happily getting around on a Nightrain. And LOVING it
    yeah, nice bike that is too!
    Is it this one BB?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NT small2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	404.5 KB 
ID:	25354  
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

Bike
    yep sure is...

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by buellbabe
    yep sure is...
    funny... wonder where that pic came from?
    I guess he's still loving it
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

Bike
    Rashika you are a bad girl... he he he

Thread Information