Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley reliability.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.

Harley reliability.

I run the rentals at AMPS, for those that don't know. The bikes are 1 - 2 years old and average 2000 - 3000 k's per month. In nearly 2 years the sum of failures has been 2 broken drive belts through stones getting trapped in them. Plus one mysterious case of a clutch cable coming loose and wearing a hole in the oil filter. This wasn't a mechanical failure, someone had loosened the clip.
    What's made me mention this was an English guy on a tour from ChCh, he and a mate have the only two Harleys. All the others are on Beemers, ALL the Beemers have had some sort of problem during the tour - Harleys nil.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    In between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    What's made me mention this was an English guy on a tour from ChCh, he and a mate have the only two Harleys. All the others are on Beemers, ALL the Beemers have had some sort of problem during the tour - Harleys nil.
    So you saying that Suzuki and Harleys rule the roost for undying reliability!

Good thing I own a Suzuki and dream about owning a Harley. Probably get a GSX-R 1k next though or a Guzzi.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpony
    So you saying that Suzuki and Harleys rule the roost for undying reliability!

Good thing I own a Suzuki and dream about owning a Harley. Probably get a GSX-R 1k next though or a Guzzi.
    Suzuks are on a another, much higher, level altogether. Reliable, stylish and a true indicator of good taste and discernment.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Prefer Buell but not a snob
    Pre-evo Hardleys weren't exactly known for their reliability but things have definately changed since then. I have only ever owned evolution Harleys so my comment comes from reading about them and having mates on older bikes...
    Buell has had some teething problems but considering they are still a relatively young company ( not to mention eager to push boundaries ) you can cut them abit of slack.
    NEVER had any probs with my HOGs and my Buell has just had its 76,000 km service. It has been a blissful ride so far and looking forward to many more!
    ...it is better to live 1 day as a Tiger than 1000 years as a sheep...

Bike
    A shita
    Suzuks are on a another, much higher, level altogether. Reliable, stylish and a true indicator of good taste and discernment.
    I agree Lou and I also agree with Rashika too. Time have changed and for the most part Harleys have got things sorted. Not my cuppa though but they dont deserve the near 100% bad rep given
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Bike
    none
    Shame so many wankers ride them.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander
    Shame so many wankers ride them.
    yes - perhaps if they all bought overchromed chopped out prehistoric pieces of shit, they'd become much better people.
    doesn't seem to have worked for you however.
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000RR
    I run the rentals at AMPS, for those that don't know. The bikes are 1 - 2 years old and average 2000 - 3000 k's per month. In nearly 2 years the sum of failures has been 2 broken drive belts through stones getting trapped in them. Plus one mysterious case of a clutch cable coming loose and wearing a hole in the oil filter. This wasn't a mechanical failure, someone had loosened the clip.
    Clutch cable wearing through oil filter??? Who the? what the? how the?

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Badcat
    yes - perhaps if they all bought overchromed chopped out prehistoric pieces of shit, they'd become much better people.
    doesn't seem to have worked for you however.
    Meh, wankers ride all sorts of bikes but from experiance, an overwhelmingly large number of them ride gixxers as apposed to most other kinds of bikes. It could be that there are just so many more gixxer riders.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Meh, wankers ride all sorts of bikes but from experiance, an overwhelmingly large number of them ride gixxers as apposed to most other kinds of bikes. It could be that there are just so many more gixxer riders.
    funny thats what i say about harley riders yea dont get all excited you harley riders,my best mate rides a harley an old sporty,hes got the money to buy a big block etc but just wont change,he loves the old girl and in the face of public opinion about those old things it just keeps on going,never ever breaks down,he gives me shit about rideing a jappa i return with the harley thing but i cant fault the thing for reliability.

Bike
    Perhaps you need a little help extracting your foot out of your mouth AGAIN .........Harley's, Gixxer's and every other are cool...period!

Lou, good to know harley's are that reliable, they certainly look and sound great...the V-rod is a special bike IMO.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    well said that man.

Bike
    In between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by In The Breeze
    I agree Lou and I also agree with Rashika too.
    Rashika hasn't posted above your post
    Which KB poster or thread are you referring to?
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpony
    Rashika hasn't posted above your post
    Which KB poster or thread are you referring to?
    I'm guessing Buellbabe is who he is refering to....we are close but not quite interchangeable eh BB?
    altho having said that I concur with BB anyway, so I guess maybe it was just premonition on In the Breezes part
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    Clutch cable wearing through oil filter??? Who the? what the? how the?
    We said the same. Want a job?
    Stupidity kills people.

Thread Information