Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TD3 Tyre Talk

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121

TD3 Tyre Talk

Apologies in advance for incorrect forum choice

There seemed much talk and discussion/confusion regarding how peoples tyres were performing on the Taupo track on Sunday. There were Racetechs getting chewed up left-right and centre (mostly left) whereas Super Corsas (apparently) were doing ok.

I understand that there was a Firestorm (or two) going around the track doing 1:19's on Diablo Stradas (pretty quick I imagine) and not suffering any ill-effects. I run stradas (but am slooooooow) and am encouraged by this fact.

For my benefit and peice of mind: how appropriate are these tyres for track-activity, and did they just deal with that track surface a bit better?

PS - I know the bloody-fast guys and girls were get around in 1:12...which is a bit faster.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    My rear Strada held up really well and I was doing 3min 42's. Not a mark on them.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    600RR3
    No idea what time I was getting, but my Pilot Powers, shockingly (disappointingly even), showed almost no signs of wear.

They went from an ugly commuting-squared shape to a nice round profile during the day, but there was absolutely no tearing despite the knee and pegs being on the ground and the rear having a spins and slips out of the hairpins.

Normally at Puke they'll get sheared, balled and wavy on one side, but I guess due to the much slower speeds at Taupo and the cold track, they never got overly hot to cause that.

Pretty impressed with them. Just wish that I'd abused them more now.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim
    My rear Strada held up really well and I was doing 3min 42's. Not a mark on them.
    How's the chicken strips going mate?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    My opinion---The track surface is still green. Slippery in places and VERY grippy in others with fairly equal use of both sides of the tyres. I think some folk started their tyres cold shearing--literally ripping the tread off early on in the piece and things got worse as the day went on
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Additional comment:
    My BT056's (OEM tyres for some Hornets) would have balled up big time. I cant get a mark on these Stradas, not in the Taka's or on the track.

edit - Im not that slow on the 'big-open' either..
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    I was doing about 1:14's maybe a touch more on MR's R6.... It had slicks, and was getting chewed up bad on the left... But look at the track... Its predominantly left handers with 2 HUGE increasing radius lefts... Left side is going to cop a punishment... Most bikes with stock suspension are far too soft, resulting in whats more commonly known as cold tear... Best thing to do to solve it (other than whack an ohlins race shock in) is to up your preload and up the pressure slightly...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    I got a second hand set of super corsas specially for the day, and they ripped up the same as the race techs I saw ie. cowpoos's

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Pilot powers showed no signs of use

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS
    How's the chicken strips going mate?
    Being rather on the large side I found that I don't have to hang off as much as other do to get the same cornering effect. I followed bugjuice for quite a while and he was getting his "cheek off the seat", but I wasn't. Mind you my cheeks are a bit wider
    Maybe thats why I don't get ride of the 2 inch wide chicken strips.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    600RR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    I was doing about 1:14's maybe a touch more on MR's R6.... It had slicks, and was getting chewed up bad on the left... But look at the track... Its predominantly left handers with 2 HUGE increasing radius lefts... Left side is going to cop a punishment... Most bikes with stock suspension are far too soft, resulting in whats more commonly known as cold tear... Best thing to do to solve it (other than whack an ohlins race shock in) is to up your preload and up the pressure slightly...
    Forgive my ignorance, but how will upping the pressures reduce cold tear? In my experience that just causes them to heat up more slowly.

How does cranking the preload in help as well? It will mean suspension movement, less squatting, but also less spinning, right? I have heard that a slightly spinning rear tyre wears less than a gripping and driving one though.

Enlighten us please dude?

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast
    Forgive my ignorance, but how will upping the pressures reduce cold tear? In my experience that just causes them to heat up more slowly.

How does cranking the preload in help as well? It will mean suspension movement, less squatting, but also less spinning, right? I have heard that a slightly spinning rear tyre wears less than a gripping and driving one though.

Enlighten us please dude?
    Its the squatting that causes the wear... If the suspension is soft, the rear end squats down, and it cant do the work thats being asked of it... Having the preload cranked up abit means that there has to be a bigger more harsh bump before the shock compresses meaning the bike doesnt squat as much.

A tyre with a higher pressure results in a slower warm up temp, but also a slower cooling temp... The higher pressure also means that the carcass is less likely to squash due to the rear shock squshing as well...

You will get a similar response from Shaun, but his will be in more detail and easier to understand...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim
    Being rather on the large side I found that I don't have to hang off as much as other do to get the same cornering effect. I followed bugjuice for quite a while and he was getting his "cheek off the seat", but I wasn't. Mind you my cheeks are a bit wider
    Maybe thats why I don't get ride of the 2 inch wide chicken strips.
    I guess the trainer wheels don't help the lean angle either
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    600RR3
    Its the squatting that causes the wear... If the suspension is soft, the rear end squats down, and it cant do the work thats being asked of it... Having the preload cranked up abit means that there has to be a bigger more harsh bump before the shock compresses meaning the bike doesnt squat as much.

A tyre with a higher pressure results in a slower warm up temp, but also a slower cooling temp... The higher pressure also means that the carcass is less likely to squash due to the rear shock squshing as well...

You will get a similar response from Shaun, but his will be in more detail and easier to understand...
    Cheers, kinda gotcha. Still not so sure about the tyre thing though. I'd not have thought that the tyre would have time to cool down at any point.

Bike

I can tell you this man knows his stuff. He, and a few others, helped me set up my 96 GSX-R 750V on here. It made a world of difference. I had a few tyre problem and since I changed the preload and rebound it handles great and the tyre wear is now even. Thanks TS. Also the question was asked ( back in the thread I started ages ago ) if the rear shock had been lifted on this bike. the answer is Yes 8mm. Go Craig. If I can find the thread I will post a link to it.

Thread Information